Anyone tried this ingenuous method of installing Di2 bar-end junction?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

rlanger

by rlanger

Looks like it doesn't require a hole to be drilled in incompatible handlebars, but not sure if there will be any stress put on the cable. I kind of doubt it as long as the cable is well secured under the bar tape.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iC5A5BGqnQ8

Planning to build up my bike with the new r9150 next week so would love some feedback before I go drilling a hole in my bars.

rlanger

by rlanger

So, I found this thread after I posted. Looks like it might be worth a shot.

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=150030

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

pdlpsher1

by pdlpsher1

I decided not to use this method because you still need to run one wire from one shifter to the other shifter. And I don’t like to have one exposed wire under the stem. So I ended up drilling two small holes on my carbon bar. Holes are not a big deal. Every bike frame has at least four holes (water bottle bosses) if not more.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

audiojan

by audiojan

No, I ran a long wire from lower junction to the right shifter, a wire from the right to the left shifter, a wire from left shifter to 910 junction. All internal in the Zipp SL70 Aero. A coat hanger pushed out the plastic "bag" that blocks the internal wiring in the drops. Some patience and a few "choice words", but it's super clean and neat.
"Suddenly the thought struck me; my floor is someone elses ceiling" - Nils Ferlin

rlanger

by rlanger

audiojan wrote:
Sun Mar 11, 2018 2:41 pm
No, I ran a long wire from lower junction to the right shifter, a wire from the right to the left shifter, a wire from left shifter to 910 junction. All internal in the Zipp SL70 Aero. A coat hanger pushed out the plastic "bag" that blocks the internal wiring in the drops. Some patience and a few "choice words", but it's super clean and neat.
This sounds to me like the best solution, although I already have the Y-splitter Etube wire that Shamano recommends for linking up the shifters to the bar-end junction. Came with my purchase.

Do you have the Bluetooth module connected somewhere in that chain?

audiojan

by audiojan

rlanger wrote:
Mon Mar 12, 2018 11:16 am
audiojan wrote:
Sun Mar 11, 2018 2:41 pm
This sounds to me like the best solution, although I already have the Y-splitter Etube wire that Shamano recommends for linking up the shifters to the bar-end junction. Came with my purchase.

Do you have the Bluetooth module connected somewhere in that chain?
No bluetooth, although I might add it right behind the battery.
"Suddenly the thought struck me; my floor is someone elses ceiling" - Nils Ferlin

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com