Over peened Campagnolo 11 speed chain

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

MyM3Coupe

by MyM3Coupe

Any Campy experts know if my chain is done. Used Campy tool to install chain and “ham fisted” the peening operation. After it gave way, I just pushed it through. With all the warnings about the female link is it toast?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

Just use a quicklink next time. You can buy them in packs of 6 on eBay for US$12-15 typically.

em3

by em3

....if u pushed the pin through the link while u were peening then u did not have ur tool set correctly. You need to slide lever on tool to closed position, which places the pin post directly behind the pin acting as a back wall or anchor so that u can apply the needed pressure at front of pin to peen the head. I don’t see how it’s possible to push pin through if lever was set correctly.

See:
https://www.campagnolo.com/media/files/ ... _08_16.pdf

MyM3Coupe

by MyM3Coupe

em3 wrote:
Sat Mar 10, 2018 8:00 am
....if u pushed the pin through the link while u were peening then u did not have ur tool set correctly. You need to slide lever on tool to closed position, which places the pin post directly behind the pin acting as a back wall or anchor so that u can apply the needed pressure at front of pin to peen the head. I don’t see how it’s possible to push pin through if lever was set correctly.

See:
https://www.campagnolo.com/media/files/ ... _08_16.pdf
You are right. But what happened was I saw the pin breeched when I turned to hard; opened the tool up and pushed it (the rivet pin) out. I may scrap the tool and chain. Campy needs to get a proper method of joining a chain other than feel and expensive tools.

ghisallo2003

by ghisallo2003

I absolutely disagree. Do it properly and it is reliable.

Quick-link failure does happen and when it does you can easily write off a hanger, rear mech and need a rear wheel rebuild. I have seen it twice.

spud

by spud

^ agreed. You've toasted that particular link, so use a quick link to joiin the ends. For the future, Campy record is about the most reliable and long lasting chain you can get. Take 5 minutes to learn the technique to properly join them, and take advantage of that reliability, rather than literally introducing a weak link.

Zakalwe

by Zakalwe

MyM3Coupe wrote:
Sat Mar 10, 2018 8:19 am
Campy needs to get a proper method of joining a chain other than feel and expensive tools.
Nowhere in the manual does it say you peen the pin by “feel”, you tighten by 3/4 of a turn of the handle.

https://www.campagnolo.com/media/files/ ... _03_12.pdf

Butcher
Shop Owner

by Butcher

There are professionals that you can do it right for you.

MyM3Coupe

by MyM3Coupe

Thanks guys. Agree on all points. I’ll KMC link temporarily, buy a new C11 chain and be more mindful on next install. Expensive mistake learned.

Geoff

by Geoff

One of the problems with the 11-speed cassettes is that the chain tolerances have become increasingly demanding. I would not recommend using that chain, it just isn't worth it.

With respect to tools, I prefer the Rohloff Revolver to the factory Campagnolo tool. It will do a great job on Shimano chains, too.

Yes, there are definitetly professionals that you can pay to do this for you, but, respectfully, not every shop is created equally. I have seen otherwise good shops where there are weak-link 'mechanics' who really couldn't give a toss. Like everything in life, not everyone is passionate about what they do and take personal pride in their work. If you take the time and care to learn how to properly do this work yourself and invest in proper tools, you will be very unlikely to learn that fact the hard way.

Zakalwe

by Zakalwe

The lezyne campy chain tool does a perfectly good job too

c60rider

by c60rider

Historically Campag tools were a huge step above any aftermarket tools. The chain tool does feel like that level of engineering to it and has the price to match though I doubt it's that much better than a lot of cheaper options out there in this day and age. But personally I've never had a problem using the Campag tool. I made a schoolboy error once and removed links from the wrong end of the chain (don't ask me how :noidea: ) and used it normally without any problems but in hindsight if there's any doubt best just replace it.

AJS914

by AJS914

Zakalwe wrote:
Sat Mar 10, 2018 6:32 pm
The lezyne campy chain tool does a perfectly good job too
I have the campy compatible Lezyne chain tool. It put a slight bend in my chain when I took off the excess length. I figured I did something wrong and then went and looked for an instruction manual. None exists. I emailed Lezyne support and never got an answer. I wasn't impressed.

The peening part though was pretty easy.

roadhog44

by roadhog44

I'll bet almost all quick link failures are only due to the same link being opened and re used many times over, something thats recommmended NOT to do.

graeme_f_k
Shop Owner / Manufacturer

by graeme_f_k

roadhog44 wrote:
Thu Apr 12, 2018 10:12 pm
I'll bet almost all quick link failures are only due to the same link being opened and re used many times over, something thats recommmended NOT to do.
That's a bet you'd lose.

I can show you quick-links, used one time, that have failed. I have quite a few. I keep them in a pot so that when people ask me why I am still using that antiquated "riveting a chain" method, I can just tip 'em out and say "that's why".

Campag tool vs the others - the Campag tool, if used correctly and if in good coondition, holds the chain in precisely the right place for the rivet to be driven and lines up the pusher pin accurately with the rivet. Even with the very high release pressure needed on an 11s link, the chain can't go anywhere because it's held "down" by the chain clamp. The outer plate can barely flex, cecause the tool is made with a gap that is 0.05mm wider than the outer plate of the chain itself on the side of the chain that bears the brunt of the pin removal / refitting load - so the outer plate will stay straight within tolerance.

The most common fault we see with 3rd party chain joining tools (or rather, the problem we see on the chains) is that close examination of the hole that the rivet passes through shows us that the rivet has gone through at an angle and this has burred the edge of the rivet hole. This can be a result of the pin not going through in a dead straight line (maybe because the plate is at a slight angle relative to the axis of force on the pin, or because the chain has "ridden up" in the tool as the rivet is being driven). This can't happen if the Campagnolo tool is correctly used.

Cases of warranty chain failure (as distinct from those that we have replaced for goodwill reasons) are vanishingly rare - I think in the last 9 years I have done one in the UK. The warranty chain failure was not a failure of the riveted joint, or of a link, as such - it was a broken chain roller.

I have 3 Campag 11s chain tools in my kit - one for each of my two workshops and one for the "travelling kit". The oldest one is now 9 years old, it's not even had a new driver pin yet and I can't guess how many 100 Campag 11s chains it's joined. It's a solid tool and the cost per chain joint is ridiculously low, plus it's 100% secure and easily done if, as others have said, you take 5 min to learn the process ...
A Tech-Reps work is never done ...
Head Tech, Campagnolo main UK ASC
Pls contact via velotechcycling"at"aim"dot"com, not PM, for a quicker answer. Thanks!

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com