Ultegra 8070 Di2 Question

Discuss light weight issues concerning road bikes & parts.
Post Reply
CallumRD1
Posts: 67
Joined: Mon Apr 03, 2017 2:54 pm

by CallumRD1

I'm looking to upgrade my 2015 Felt F3X from mechanical Ultegra 6800 to hydraulic Di2 8070. I plan on using the bar end junction box and a Y cable to the shifters. I have a couple of questions about implementing this. First of all, are the 8070 shifters compatible with sprint shifters? Are they just plug and play or do I need some kind of other junction box or something to hook them up? Secondly, with the new short cage 8050 derailleur being capable of running an 11-30 cassette, will it run an 11-32 without any issues or should I plan on getting a long cage derailleur? (I'm currently running a long cage 6800 derailleur with either an 11-28 or 11-32 depending on the wheelset. The 11-30 sounds perfect for me but I'm trying to save money and stick with what I have for now.)

ooo
Posts: 496
Joined: Sat May 21, 2016 12:59 pm

by ooo

SS can work with 11-32, just not as fast as with 11-28 and 11-30
for CX crankset it make sense to use SS RD or GS RD with SS cage

Not compatible with old low profile sprinter shifters SW-R610
Compatible new bulkier universal shifters SW-R9150:
Attachments
swr9150.jpg
SW-R9150
'

by Weenie


BdaGhisallo
Posts: 1837
Joined: Wed Mar 17, 2004 1:38 pm

by BdaGhisallo

ooo wrote:
Wed Mar 07, 2018 4:51 pm


Not compatible with old low profile sprinter shifters SW-R610
Compatible new bulkier universal shifters SW-R9150:
Are you sure about that? My 9150 shifters work just fine with the old sprinter shifters and I would imagine the 8050 would be the same.

MoreRideTime
Posts: 121
Joined: Sun Sep 17, 2006 9:09 pm
Location: Canada

by MoreRideTime

The R9170 and R8070 hydro levers do not have the dedicated port for the sprint shifter buttons. The R9150 and R8050 rim brake lever do have these ports.

CallumRD1
Posts: 67
Joined: Mon Apr 03, 2017 2:54 pm

by CallumRD1

MoreRideTime wrote:
Wed Mar 07, 2018 7:42 pm
The R9170 and R8070 hydro levers do not have the dedicated port for the sprint shifter buttons. The R9150 and R8050 rim brake lever do have these ports.
So then how do you hook up sprint shifters?

BdaGhisallo
Posts: 1837
Joined: Wed Mar 17, 2004 1:38 pm

by BdaGhisallo

CallumRD1 wrote:
Wed Mar 07, 2018 7:52 pm
MoreRideTime wrote:
Wed Mar 07, 2018 7:42 pm
The R9170 and R8070 hydro levers do not have the dedicated port for the sprint shifter buttons. The R9150 and R8050 rim brake lever do have these ports.
So then how do you hook up sprint shifters?
The shifters have three ports each - the top two for E-Tube plugs and the bottom one will only accept the plugs on the sprint shifter.

User avatar
MayhemSWE
Posts: 107
Joined: Thu Mar 12, 2015 12:44 pm
Location: Stockholm, Sweden

by MayhemSWE

BdaGhisallo wrote:
Wed Mar 07, 2018 9:32 pm
CallumRD1 wrote:
Wed Mar 07, 2018 7:52 pm
MoreRideTime wrote:
Wed Mar 07, 2018 7:42 pm
The R9170 and R8070 hydro levers do not have the dedicated port for the sprint shifter buttons. The R9150 and R8050 rim brake lever do have these ports.
So then how do you hook up sprint shifters?
The shifters have three ports each - the top two for E-Tube plugs and the bottom one will only accept the plugs on the sprint shifter.
No they do not. This thread was a about connecting sprint shifters to R8070 hydraulic levers, which as already mentioned by ooo is not possible.

BdaGhisallo
Posts: 1837
Joined: Wed Mar 17, 2004 1:38 pm

by BdaGhisallo

MayhemSWE wrote:
Thu Mar 08, 2018 11:29 am
BdaGhisallo wrote:
Wed Mar 07, 2018 9:32 pm
CallumRD1 wrote:
Wed Mar 07, 2018 7:52 pm
MoreRideTime wrote:
Wed Mar 07, 2018 7:42 pm
The R9170 and R8070 hydro levers do not have the dedicated port for the sprint shifter buttons. The R9150 and R8050 rim brake lever do have these ports.
So then how do you hook up sprint shifters?
The shifters have three ports each - the top two for E-Tube plugs and the bottom one will only accept the plugs on the sprint shifter.
No they do not. This thread was a about connecting sprint shifters to R8070 hydraulic levers, which as already mentioned by ooo is not possible.
My apologies - I should have read the OP closer. Yes, the hydro shifters do not accept the old sprint shifters.

ooo
Posts: 496
Joined: Sat May 21, 2016 12:59 pm

by ooo

SW-R9150 can be used with ST-R8070/R9170 instead of SW-R610 (comparison on 2nd pic)
It looks like Kittel have them on Venge Vias disc.

They are flat, but shimano flat-to-round adapter is bulky (see top of 3rd pic)
To mount them nicely you may need adapter with 3m (bottom of 3rd pic or diy)

http://pass13.blog.fc2.com/blog-entry-3689.html
https://www.rec-mounts.com/products/adapter/di2/
Attachments
sw-r9150.jpg
SW-R9150
sw-r9150-r610.jpg
SW-R9150 (top) vs (bottom) SW-R610
adapter.jpg
shimano mount (top) vs (bottom) adapter
'

CallumRD1
Posts: 67
Joined: Mon Apr 03, 2017 2:54 pm

by CallumRD1

ooo wrote:
Thu Mar 08, 2018 11:55 am
SW-R9150 can be used with ST-R8070/R9170 instead of SW-R610 (comparison on 2nd pic)
It looks like Kittel have them on Venge Vias disc.

They are flat, but shimano flat-to-round adapter is bulky (see top of 3rd pic)
To mount them nicely you may need adapter with 3m (bottom of 3rd pic or diy)

http://pass13.blog.fc2.com/blog-entry-3689.html
https://www.rec-mounts.com/products/adapter/di2/
Thanks for the information. Does this mean that the SW-R9150 shifters can plug straight into the 8070 STIs?

by Weenie


ooo
Posts: 496
Joined: Sat May 21, 2016 12:59 pm

by ooo

Yes.
'

Post Reply
  • Similar Topics
    Replies
    Views
    Last post