Mileage Specialized Turbo Cotton?

Wheels, Tires, Tubes, Tubeless, Tubs, Spokes, Hookless, Hubs, and more!

Moderator: robbosmans

Forum rules
The spirit of this board is to compile and organize wheels and tires related discussions.

If a new wheel tech is released, (say for example, TPU tubes, a brand new tire, or a new rim standard), feel free to start the discussion in the popular "Road". Your topic will eventually be moved here!
nemeseri

by nemeseri

I used the 24mm on the front and 26 on the rear. I got a little bit more than 1000km out of the rear one when I started to get flats 2-3 times a week. It's a great tire, but I stopped using them because life is too short to spend time with fixing flats on the road side. :roll:

The 28mm version might be a bit thicker, but I won't put a tire on my bike that baloons up to 30mm+.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

mattsurf

by mattsurf

nemeseri wrote:
Sun Mar 11, 2018 3:53 pm
I used the 24mm on the front and 26 on the rear. I got a little bit more than 1000km out of the rear one when I started to get flats 2-3 times a week. It's a great tire, but I stopped using them because life is too short to spend time with fixing flats on the road side. :roll:

The 28mm version might be a bit thicker, but I won't put a tire on my bike that baloons up to 30mm+.
That is a little unfortunate, I got loads more miles out of mine (28mm). However, if I was getting 2-3 punctures per week I would also change tyres, no question

My Calipers show 28.3mm on Reynolds Assault rims

dim

by dim

nemeseri wrote:
Sun Mar 11, 2018 3:53 pm

depends what you are after ...

if you want very fast comfy tyres get the Specilized Turbo cottons

if you want puncture resistance, get Durano Plus, or Conti 4 seasons

I dont mind paying a bit extra for speed and comfort, but if you only get 1000Km on a turbo cotton, what do you weigh? .... I get closer to 2000Km before they start wearing thin

these are the best tyres that I have used, and I don't mind paying for them
Trek Emonda SL6
Miyata One Thousand

CrankAddictsRich

by CrankAddictsRich

dim wrote:
Sun Mar 11, 2018 7:26 pm
depends what you are after ...

if you want very fast comfy tyres get the Specilized Turbo cottons

if you want puncture resistance, get Durano Plus, or Conti 4 seasons

I dont mind paying a bit extra for speed and comfort, but if you only get 1000Km on a turbo cotton, what do you weigh? .... I get closer to 2000Km before they start wearing thin

these are the best tyres that I have used, and I don't mind paying for them
I'm of the same mindset... I'd much rather have the satisfaction of using great tires.. the feel, the speed, etc and the expense of maybe having to fix a flat 2 times a season. I've used the S-Works Cotton Turbo and also the S-Works Turbo. I've found the Vittoria Corsa G+ to be a perfect blend between the two in terms of performance and durability.

nemeseri

by nemeseri

dim wrote:
Sun Mar 11, 2018 7:26 pm
My weight is 129lbs. Personally I found the vittoria g+ tires have slightly better millage and slightly better puncture protection in dry conditions. I will probably go back to conti gp4000s for the wet season. Maybe I had super bad luck for two weeks, but during fixing my 5th flat in 10 days I swore I wouldn’t put on Turbo Cottons again. And yes, I found the cause of the flat every single time.

And you are right. Every area and every rider have a preferred blend between puncture protection and speed. For the roads I ride on, I found the TCs to be too fragile and expensive.

spdntrxi

by spdntrxi

you guys are skinny compared to me.. I'm 185lbs... love the TC's my only flat was a piece of glass.. the rear will do over 2000miles for me and then some. Trust them in the damp too.. vs Corsa G+ speed that flat out scared the hell out of me in the wet.
2024 BMC TeamMachine R
2018 BMC TImeMachine Road
2002 Moots Compact-SL
2019 Parlee Z0XD - "classified"
2023 Pivot E-Vault

CrankAddictsRich

by CrankAddictsRich

spdntrxi... interesting. I don't have that percepion of the Corsa G+ in the wet, at all. I can't complain about the TC's in the wet either.

spdntrxi

by spdntrxi

CrankAddictsRich wrote:
Mon Mar 12, 2018 11:46 am
spdntrxi... interesting. I don't have that percepion of the Corsa G+ in the wet, at all. I can't complain about the TC's in the wet either.
I had one ride.. almost lost it in one turn (rear slideout,not braking) and another turn totally went straight through into a dirt bank but stayed upright. That was enough for me. This was not a new road to me and one I've taken in the wet before.
2024 BMC TeamMachine R
2002 Moots Compact-SL
2023 Pivot E-Vault

Hexsense

by Hexsense

I found not only weight determine durability. But also pressure.
High pressure put tire under more stress and less flexible condition. An object that low pressure tire would deform around normally could pierce through the the same tire at higher pressure. Also the center thread wear down faster with more load concentration in the center with higher pressure too.

Weight and pressure needed are weakly linked together, it's ultimately rider's choice to select the pressure.

I found Vittoria Corsa G+ rock in dry and wet grip if it is clean and have broken in for at least 40km. However, their compound really likes to pick up small rocks when wet, maybe their compound is too grippy or soft? i don't know. but those small stone/debris they pick up not only slowly pierce through tire if i roll them for long time but also reduce grip since we are rolling on sand/debris rather than rubber. That was my perception with the normal Corsa G+, not Corsa Speed G+ which supposed to have less grip.

Rather than go to Continental GP4000sII i now testing Continental GP Attack III and GP Force III - 23c and 25c combo. They use the same Vectran Breaker and same Black Chili compound as 4000sII, just thinner and construct a bit differently. They run a tiny tiny bit narrower than Conti 4000sII of the same size label. No test result from labs yet (http://bicyclerollingresistance.com/ tested version II which is 22c and 24c). So far i found them perform well after initial break in.

spdntrxi

by spdntrxi

I was on Corsa G+ Speeds
2024 BMC TeamMachine R
2002 Moots Compact-SL
2023 Pivot E-Vault

CrankAddictsRich

by CrankAddictsRich

spdntrxi wrote:
Mon Mar 12, 2018 4:59 pm
I was on Corsa G+ Speeds
Ahhh... that makes sense. That is a TT tire. It is what I use for racing time trials. I don't know if I'd be smashing turns on it in the rain.

spdntrxi

by spdntrxi

CrankAddictsRich wrote:
Mon Mar 12, 2018 5:35 pm
spdntrxi wrote:
Mon Mar 12, 2018 4:59 pm
I was on Corsa G+ Speeds
Ahhh... that makes sense. That is a TT tire. It is what I use for racing time trials. I don't know if I'd be smashing turns on it in the rain.
yeah they where put on my TT bike the next day. :mrgreen:

but a turn smasher I am not. It was fairly mundane speeds which is why I didn't crash out.
2024 BMC TeamMachine R
2002 Moots Compact-SL
2023 Pivot E-Vault

Hardstyle

by Hardstyle

Marin wrote:
Sat Mar 10, 2018 12:17 pm
https://fairwheelbikes.com/specialized- ... tton-tire/

Fairwheel have them
Thanks.

Jackofallgrades

by Jackofallgrades

Bumping this, what width were people measuring for the 24 and 26c versions, ideally on an internal rim width of 21c?
Cannondale SSEvo3 'Atticus' - 7.2kg
viewtopic.php?f=10&t=161634

Cannondale Systemsix ’Dante’ - 7.7kg
viewtopic.php?f=10&t=167144

guadzilla

by guadzilla

Jackofallgrades wrote:
Wed Apr 08, 2020 12:45 pm
Bumping this, what width were people measuring for the 24 and 26c versions, ideally on an internal rim width of 21c?
On my Roval CLX64s, which have a 21mm ID, the 24s come up to 27mm (rounded to the nearest integer), as measured with my digital calipers.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com