Mileage Specialized Turbo Cotton?

Wheels, Tires, Tubes, Tubeless, Tubs, Spokes, Hookless, Hubs, and more!

Moderator: robbosmans

Forum rules
The spirit of this board is to compile and organize wheels and tires related discussions.

If a new wheel tech is released, (say for example, TPU tubes, a brand new tire, or a new rim standard), feel free to start the discussion in the popular "Road". Your topic will eventually be moved here!
nickstea

by nickstea

mattsurf wrote:
Wed Mar 07, 2018 9:30 am
Yes they are Clinchers, i bought them in the US. I heard that they are not available in Europe, which is a shame as they are the best tyres I have owned
Can you post a link to the “hell of north” clinchers. I can’t find them anywhere, only the tubular version

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Marin

by Marin

It's Specialized. They are just calling the 28mm version that. They probably have a trademark on the name now and will sue your ass if you watch the movie by the same name =0
Last edited by Marin on Wed Mar 07, 2018 1:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Nefarious86

by Nefarious86

Marin wrote:It's Specialilized. They are just calling the 28mm version that. They probably have a trademark on the name now and will sue your ass if you watch the movie by the same name =0
It actually has a different puncture protection rating and better sidewall coverage, but hey, why let that stand in the way of being a dick.

Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk

Using Tapatalk

CrankAddictsRich

by CrankAddictsRich

Nefarious86 wrote:
Wed Mar 07, 2018 12:41 pm
Marin wrote:It's Specialilized. They are just calling the 28mm version that. They probably have a trademark on the name now and will sue your ass if you watch the movie by the same name =0
It actually has a different puncture protection rating and better sidewall coverage, but hey, why let that stand in the way of being a dick.

Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk
I think it also has the file tread all over, not just on the sides.

CrankAddictsRich

by CrankAddictsRich

nickstea wrote:
Wed Mar 07, 2018 10:07 am
mattsurf wrote:
Yes they are Clinchers, i bought them in the US. I heard that they are not available in Europe, which is a shame as they are the best tyres I have owned
Can you post a link to the “hell of north” clinchers. I can’t find them anywhere, only the tubular version
Here's a link to te news story when it was released.

https://www.bikeradar.com/us/news/artic ... yre-49579/

Marin

by Marin

Thanks for the dick comment.

You're right, the 28mm TC has more & wider tread and extra puncture protection, that's why Specialized call them "Hell of the North" - so badass.

However, there is no "regular" version, all 28mm Turbo Cottons have that spec.

Review: https://bikeboard.at/Board/Specialized- ... m-th232052

dim

by dim

like I said previously:

I've used many tyres, and Specialized Turbo Cottons are by far the best. Much better and much faster than GP4000 SII. More expensive and good for 2000km (On GP4000 SII, I bin them at 2700Km when I start getting punctures)

life is too short to ride shitty tyres and I ride lots and don't mind paying a bit more (I have HED Belgium plus rims, so my tyre choice is a lot more as I can use tubeless or clincher, and Turbo Cottons are my no 1 tyres)

watch this video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ynD0Rwc3Ius
Trek Emonda SL6
Miyata One Thousand

dim

by dim

Marin wrote:
Wed Mar 07, 2018 9:58 am
mattsurf wrote:
No, you can buy them in Europe: https://www.bike24.de/1.php?content=8;p ... 00,4,22,35

BTW my Turbo Cottons have been as durable as any similar tire, and I've ridden them on gravel too.

turbo cotton hell of the north are tubs not clinchers or am I missing something?
Trek Emonda SL6
Miyata One Thousand

nickstea

by nickstea

dim wrote:
Wed Mar 07, 2018 9:15 pm
Marin wrote:
Wed Mar 07, 2018 9:58 am
mattsurf wrote:
No, you can buy them in Europe: https://www.bike24.de/1.php?content=8;p ... 00,4,22,35

BTW my Turbo Cottons have been as durable as any similar tire, and I've ridden them on gravel too.

turbo cotton hell of the north are tubs not clinchers or am I missing something?

I think you’re right. tC come in a 28mm in clincher. However, the “hell of north” are only tubular as far as I can tell. The difference between the normal TC and “hell of north” is the tread and increased puncture resistance on the HON TC.

mattsurf

by mattsurf

Mine are certainly Clinchers and have Hell of the north printed on them

dim

by dim

mattsurf wrote:
Wed Mar 07, 2018 10:02 pm
Mine are certainly Clinchers and have Hell of the north printed on them
thanks .... i will have a closer look for these :thumbup:
Trek Emonda SL6
Miyata One Thousand

DCcyclist

by DCcyclist

There are a lot of Conti GP 4000 fans here but I have been using S-Works Turbo tires since last year and I am very impressed.

They are incredibly durable. I haven't had a single flat after 2000mi on them.

Get this. I purchased a dozen inner tubes last summer and haven't touched any of them since I swapped to Specialized tires from Conti 4000s.

I am also planning to give Turbo cottons a try next time. However, not sure I can fit 28s into my frame. I use 26s.
2019 Giant TCR Advanced Pro 0 Disc

spdntrxi

by spdntrxi

TC are a different animal then Sworks Turbos.. I find the SWT not as good as TC for ride quality and grip
2024 BMC TeamMachine R Building
2018 BMC TImeMachine Road
2002 Moots Compact-SL- getting aero look makeover
2019 Parlee Z0XD - "classified"
2023 Pivot E-Vault - completed project, full Xplr package

mattsurf

by mattsurf

DCcyclist wrote:
Wed Mar 07, 2018 10:39 pm
There are a lot of Conti GP 4000 fans here but I have been using S-Works Turbo tires since last year and I am very impressed.

They are incredibly durable. I haven't had a single flat after 2000mi on them.

Get this. I purchased a dozen inner tubes last summer and haven't touched any of them since I swapped to Specialized tires from Conti 4000s.

I am also planning to give Turbo cottons a try next time. However, not sure I can fit 28s into my frame. I use 26s.
I used S-Works Turbo's previously, when they wore out I tried a set of GP4000II, I was a little disappointed with them compared with S-Works Turbo. Then when I was in US I got a set of the Turbo Cottons. The 28mm Turbo Cottons are right at the limit of what my frame can accep but I have not had an issue and they do clear the Brake Calipers (Ultegra 6800).

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

TonyM

by TonyM

Here the comparison S-Works Turbo and Turbo Cotton:

https://www.bicyclerollingresistance.co ... otton-2016

Rolling Resistance at 100 psi:
S-Works Turbo: 14.4 Watts
Turbo cotton: 11.1 Watts