Cable routing

Discuss light weight issues concerning road bikes & parts.
Calnago

by Calnago

Much better... looks good!
Still not a fan of any of those "linked" cable systems over standard cable housing, but that's a seaparate issue from the routing itself.
Colnago C64 - The Naked Build; Colnago C60 - PR99; Trek Koppenberg - Where Emonda and Domane Meet;
Unlinked Builds (searchable): Colnago C59 - 5 Years Later; Trek Emonda SL Campagnolo SR; Special Colnago EPQ

kgibbo1868

by kgibbo1868

Calnago wrote:Much better... looks good!
Still not a fan of any of those "linked" cable systems over standard cable housing, but that's a seaparate issue from the routing itself.
Is it the looks or the function your not keen on? They seem well made and very low friction to me. Looks are in the eye of the beholder indeed!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Pain is my friend!

by Weenie

Calnago

by Calnago

Yes, more the looks and they often end up looking kind of “kinky” to me. Plus, the joins become dust and dirt collectors. I’m sure they function just fine.
Colnago C64 - The Naked Build; Colnago C60 - PR99; Trek Koppenberg - Where Emonda and Domane Meet;
Unlinked Builds (searchable): Colnago C59 - 5 Years Later; Trek Emonda SL Campagnolo SR; Special Colnago EPQ

alcatraz

by alcatraz

Aren't they marketed as being lighter and compressionless?

Compressionless might be true but lighter I don't believe. There are some crazy light kevlar housing out there that is cheap and works ok. 26/20 gr/m brake/shifting w. alloy strands.

/a

commendatore

by commendatore

Calnago wrote: Still not a fan of any of those "linked" cable systems over standard cable housing, but that's a seaparate issue from the routing itself.
I’ve always been afraid of damage they might do to the headtube if the bars get wrapped around in a crash

Calnago

by Calnago

Well, they certainly could I suppose. But in the event of a crash that’s probably way down the list of what can go wrong.
But they will never keep a nice smooth arc shape like you can get from a standard set of nice smooth regular old cable housing. Campy or Shimano. And use of liners where appropriate, like around BB shells etc.

kgibbo1868

by kgibbo1868

I should have put them on the scale.....dohhhhh! They felt much lighter than the stock sram cables that came off, but compared to other lightweight aftermarket cables I really don’t know how they compare.

I’m not overly worried about dirt or dust as the slick inner liner will keep everything clean. It will most likely take a bit more effort to keep it looking clean though with all the groves between the links.
Pain is my friend!

Calnago

by Calnago

Yes, the liners keep the actual cable runs clean. And being black, the dirt won’t show too badly. But some of the bling light colored anodized links are more likely to be looking not so great in not so long a time.