2017 Giant TCR Advanced SL 0

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Sanjay

by Sanjay

Very occasional poster and long-term lurker here, but thought I’d share my 2017 Giant TCR Advanced SL 0 Etap.
Much of it is as it was off the shelf, so this certainly isn’t a real WW project but I’ve done some basic weight saving to get it down from 6.18kg new to 6.05kg (no pedals). Total weight with pedals is currently at 6.28kg, which I’m pretty pleased with. The Garmin K-Edge mount is a relatively burley 54g so could shave a bit more off there. I also need to sort out the cables, as they currently get in the way of my Garmin when it is mounted.

Frame: Giant TCR Advanced SL with ISP
Wheels: Giant SLR 0
Tyres: Hutchinson Fusion 5 Galactik 25mm Tubeless Ready (25ml of sealant in each tyre)
Skewers: Lifeline Professional Carbon/TI
Groupset: Full SRAM Red with Etap. 34/50 and 11-28
Saddle: Fizik Antares 00
Bar tape: Lizard Skin DSP 2.5mm
Bar: Giant Contact SLR
Pedals: Look Keo Blade Carbon and a Look Keo Classic (to be replaced with a Garmin Vector 2S when I swap it from my winter bike)

Any thoughts or ideas for some cost-effective weight saving would be welcome, though I’m not looking to spend much more on it.
Attachments
20180302_172506.jpg
20180302_172517.jpg
20180302_172720.jpg

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

reknop

by reknop

What size frameset do you have ?
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
https://www.cycling-review.net

Sanjay

by Sanjay

Medium. I was in between that and the M/L

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

RivetRider

by RivetRider

Nice bike,

I wonder if you could push it sub 6 if you ran a mechanical groupset?
have you tried riding your bike harder?

Sanjay

by Sanjay

Yes, I bet with SRAM Red I'd be able to get close but I think I'd miss the ease of electronic shifting.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

aeroisnteverything

by aeroisnteverything

For consideration:
- Lighter bottle cages with Ti bolts (you can get bontrager xxx off eBay for less than a tenner)
- I’d probably replace the cables with Jagwire elite links and shorten them a bit, so there is less of them hanging out (good for both weight and aero)
Less cost effective, but a good 100g:
- Berk lupina, the lighter versions of Selle Italia, or Bonty XXX saddle
- handlebar and stem?

parleez1

by parleez1

Sanjay, I'm looking to purchase a TCR Advanced SL disc frame, can you please give me some feedback on the ride. Is it a comfortable frame for long rides? Does it beat you up?
Currently riding a Cannondale Super Six Black Inc. with tubular wheels, rim brakes.

Thanks for your feedback!

parleez1

by parleez1

Bumping this post up again, looking for some feedback. on the ride of the TCR Advanced SL 0 as I'm looking to purchase a 2018 irh Red Etap.

Thanks!

Noctiluxx

by Noctiluxx

I have a 2017 TCR Advanced SL (size small) with Dura Ace 9150 and Bora Ultra wheels. In all honesty, its as good as any bike I've ever ridden. The bike is stiff, agile, comfortable, and stable. I love it so much, I'm actually swapping out this frame to the gorgeous new Chameleon blue/black in size XS. My buddy is 5'9" but purchased the XS in Team Sunweb team color. The XS feels even more agile, more stable, and just plain more fun.
Attachments
TCR1.jpg
TCR2.jpg
Bianchi Oltre XR4, De Rosa SK Pininfarina, Trek Madone SLR, Giant TCR Advanced SL, Cervelo R5 Disk, Giant Revolt

ohjinguh9

by ohjinguh9

man thats alot of sidis :shock:

amngwlvs

by amngwlvs

Noctiluxx wrote:
Fri Sep 14, 2018 3:18 pm
I have a 2017 TCR Advanced SL (size small) with Dura Ace 9150 and Bora Ultra wheels. In all honesty, its as good as any bike I've ever ridden. The bike is stiff, agile, comfortable, and stable. I love it so much, I'm actually swapping out this frame to the gorgeous new Chameleon blue/black in size XS. My buddy is 5'9" but purchased the XS in Team Sunweb team color. The XS feels even more agile, more stable, and just plain more fun.
5'9" and going with an XS? Jesus, I couldn't imagine going smaller than my M at 5'10". Not sure I understand how going that small is going to make it more stable...

Bora's definitely suit a TCR better than I expected though!
2018 Giant TCR Advanced Pro 0 Disc
2015 Giant Propel Advanced 2
2013 Trek 520

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com