What Sram crank for Power2max

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Hapsmo911

by Hapsmo911

Little confused on what is the best option for a crank to use with my E-Tap Caad12 and a Power2maxEco or NG? I am looking at the Sram Red22 power ready cranks with removable arms. They look an awful lot like the Force22 cranks. Looks like they should work. Can anyone confirm they are the same fit as the Force22 crank?

alcatraz

by alcatraz

What crank are you currently using?

Your bike is a bb30a bb shell standard which uses a less common dimension. It's still compatible with everything out there (except maybe old bb30 cranks) with the use of the right adapter.

The question is: What's more important to you, weight or being future proof? (wanna use the p2m on your next frame aswell?)

The power2max you order needs to be compatible with the crank standard you intend to use. It can later not be moved to a different crank standard.

My guess is that you will end up with choosing between bb386 and shimano/gxp 24mm. Both of them are future proof.

Shimano/gxp as a system will on average weigh a bit more than bb386 because of the slightly heavier bottom bracket and crank spindle. You can possibly keep your already light bb if you go the bb386 route and just get some spacers. Although it's possibly not the recommended solution. (fitting bb386 to a bb30a frame most likely involves the bb having one bearing external in a cup as opposed to your current both internally mounted bearings)

If you want to save maximum weight and sacrifice future proof'ness then go with cannondale si/sisl crank. It is light and fits your bike nicely without changing bb. Just get the right axle length.

The cranks you are looking at are sram gxp cranks (future proof long spindle). They are quite heavy actually, heavier than what most people would expect from sram force/red. Probably built to last though. (Be careful with bb30 cranks that to the untrained eye look just like the gxp cranks, and some or most of them won't fit your bike and they are not future proof)

bb30a is wider than bb30 and thus bb30 cranks generally won't fit your bike.(some exceptions)

bb386 is future proof but doesn't fit trek frames = 99%. For 100% future proof get shimano/gxp.

/a

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

hmai18

by hmai18

You also need to make sure that you're getting SRAM arms with the older 3-bolt interface rather than the new 8-bolts in order to fit a P2m.

MayhemSWE

by MayhemSWE

Hapsmo911 wrote:
Sun Feb 18, 2018 5:33 am
I am looking at the Sram Red22 power ready cranks with removable arms. They look an awful lot like the Force22 cranks. Looks like they should work. Can anyone confirm they are the same fit as the Force22 crank?
Nope, not going to work. Red eTap BB386 cranks and anything else compatible with DZero power meters uses the new 8-bolt spider interface, while Force 22 cranks and previous Quarq models use the old 3-bolt spider interface.

Hapsmo911

by Hapsmo911

Got it, thanks guys... Looks like my choices are to either go with Rotor, SiSL, or Dzero. Or P2M says their Easton meter should be ready in about 4 weeks and they will also have a Praxis carbon version ready as soon as praxis releases the carbon road crank :-)