Somewhat Urgent - Is this spindle worn?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

themidge

by themidge

The title pretty much says it all. I'm piecing together a cannnondale hollowgram crankset (spindle+arms+spider etc.) and can pick up this spindle for a pretty good price. My question is is it worn? The description says it's "used but in good condition" but I have little experience with this kind of thing. It looks like it might be a little worn to me, but hopefully someone can enlighten me. :D
Thanks,
TheMidge
Last edited by themidge on Sun Feb 18, 2018 12:14 am, edited 1 time in total.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Calnago
In Memoriam

by Calnago

It is worn and in terrible condition. Like throw away condition.
What size spindle are you looking for?... the 104mm with the flange, or the 109mm without the flange. Or the SRM 104mm version with flange, but milled down a bit. I know I have one lying around, I think it's the standard 104mm version.
Colnago C64 - The Naked Build; Colnago C60 - PR99; Trek Koppenberg - Where Emonda and Domane Meet;
Unlinked Builds (searchable): Colnago C59 - 5 Years Later; Trek Emonda SL Campagnolo SR; Special Colnago EPQ

themidge

by themidge

I think I need a regular 104mm spindle, maybe. It'd be for a regular 68mm Cannondale BB30 with the regular spider (for attaching chainrings) which I think is narrower than the SpideRing. Thanks for the offer, but IIRC you're in the US. I'd rather shop within the UK/Europe to avoid the whole customs madness, these come up fairly regularly and I'm in no great rush in piecing together this crankset.

hambini

by hambini

If you have hardened bearings against an aluminium axle it is going to leave track marks on the surface.

I don't think it's categoric to say it's in terrible condition and should be thrown away without measuring it and having a look at the track marks. You really need a better picture.

Hambini
Hambini Aeronautical Engineer, Polluting YouTube since 2016 - views expressed are my own...

Calnago
In Memoriam

by Calnago

I don't know what kind of resolution you're using to look at this picture (phone maybe?), but from what I can see there's way more than just "track marks" happening, especially looking at the lower right. That's definitely a "throwaway" in my mind.
Colnago C64 - The Naked Build; Colnago C60 - PR99; Trek Koppenberg - Where Emonda and Domane Meet;
Unlinked Builds (searchable): Colnago C59 - 5 Years Later; Trek Emonda SL Campagnolo SR; Special Colnago EPQ

alcatraz

by alcatraz

Maybe it still has some mileage left in it. :)

How much money are you gambling with?

/a

jlok

by jlok

how to avoid those track marks? softer bearings?
Rikulau V9 DB Custom < BMC TM02 < Litespeed T1sl Disc < Giant Propel Advanced SL Disc 1 < Propel Adv < TCR Adv SL Disc < KTM Revelator Sky < CAAD 12 Disc < Domane S Disc < Alize < CAAD 10

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

hambini wrote:
Sun Feb 18, 2018 12:06 am
If you have hardened bearings against an aluminium axle it is going to leave track marks on the surface.

I don't think it's categoric to say it's in terrible condition and should be thrown away without measuring it and having a look at the track marks. You really need a better picture.

Hambini
^ This.

1) Clean as much gunk off the spindle as possible.
2) Get a better FoV with your camera...closer and not an oblique angle
3) Put a sheet of white paper under the spindle when you take the photo.

hambini

by hambini

Calnago wrote:
Sun Feb 18, 2018 12:39 am
I don't know what kind of resolution you're using to look at this picture (phone maybe?), but from what I can see there's way more than just "track marks" happening, especially looking at the lower right. That's definitely a "throwaway" in my mind.
The uploaded resolution is 640 x 480 and I'm looking at it on a monitor that is 4k.
TobinHatesYou wrote:
1) Clean as much gunk off the spindle as possible.
2) Get a better FoV with your camera...closer and not an oblique angle
3) Put a sheet of white paper under the spindle when you take the photo.
This is good guidance and I'd add to take the photo at higher resolution if you are going to upload it.
jlok wrote:how to avoid those track marks? softer bearings?
If you buy decent bearings they are always hardened. The best way to stop the track marks is use a bottom bracket that has been designed with a sleeve between the bearing and axle (Shimano). On 30mm axles it's usually a direct fit between the axle and bearing in which case my suggestion would be to buy bearings that are a decent fit.

HTH

Hambini
Hambini Aeronautical Engineer, Polluting YouTube since 2016 - views expressed are my own...

themidge

by themidge

Thanks for the replies everyone. :D
It's on ebay so I don't actually have the spindle, and that's the only photo. I think I'll pass it up, no use buying something that wears out that's already worn even a small amount (minor scratches would be okay but to me it looks a bit too groovy ( 8) ). As I said, I'm in no great rush and they aren't super rare or anything (or super expensive new, I think I can still get the right length).
Thanks,
TheMidge

P.S. I can post the biggest image Flickr allows if anyone wants.

Calnago
In Memoriam

by Calnago

I used a poor choice of words, in "resolution" earlier. It's bad resolution for sure, but I don't think you even need better resolution to come to the conclusion that this spindle is ready for the garbage bin... this is just a crop of the part that makes me come to my conclusion. Any response otherwise just reminds me of the Monty Python skit... It's just a "flesh wound". Lol...

alcatraz

by alcatraz

I'm wondering how such a deep groove can develop and on only one side?

One of the bearings must be moving or be at an angle.

It seems to be a design of hollowgram axles though, to be a bit softer than the arms. Could it be to protect the arm/axle interface?

If it's not a groove. Could it simply be a leaking bearing seal? Bearing retaining compound? Maybe the bearing was serviced without taking it out and leaking solvent and bearing grease.

/a

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Marin

by Marin

How are you seing a groove in this pic?

From this pic I could never tell whether this is gunk that wipes off, shallow scratches in the anodising, or actual removal of metal.

In my experience, you should be able to run an axle like this without problems if you know what you're doing, but should you buy it with only the pic as information? Probably not unless it's cheap and your only option.