Focus Izalco Max seat tube diameter?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

iamalex

by iamalex

My seat tube measures 30.4mm and the Focus 31.8mm seat clamp doesn’t bite.

Could any other owners take a measurement and let me know if mine isn’t the norm?

I bought a partial frameset without a clamp and the two official Focus ones I bought afterwards are both too large but apparently the stock part. I’ve been using a 30.7mm KCNC but it’s a tad too large and bottoms out when tightening.

Thanks!

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

alcatraz

by alcatraz

Non standard tubes are really a PITA, aren't they?

Couldn't you just file or dremel the kcnc clamp gap larger a bit? I know it'd put more stress on the bolt/threads but you might get away with it if it's not much.

Sure your seat post fits snugly before tightning the clamp? Make sure it's not on the small side.

/a

iamalex

by iamalex

Hadn’t thought of filing, might give that a go. I have found a couple of 30.2mm clamps online so going to pick one of those up too.

I actually cracked the post yesterday after it started to deform. Deformation started on my last bike, torqued well under spec with fibre grip. Waiting on a new Zipp post for a fresh start.

reedplayer

by reedplayer

do i understand right, the seattube of your izalco max is 30,4mm? which framesize is it?
mine has barely 32mm, in size 52.
regards
Last edited by reedplayer on Sat Feb 17, 2018 11:16 am, edited 1 time in total.

iamalex

by iamalex

Thanks Reedplayer, that is what I expected it should be. The whole seattube measures 30.4mm diameter on mine. 27.2mm seatpost.

It is a 2015/2016 Focus Izalco Max Disc, AG2R, size 58cm. Bought as a partial frameset from a Focus dealer at 75% discount. It’s a fantastic ride so can live with the odd diameter.

reedplayer

by reedplayer

mhh, thats quite strange.
i asked for the size, because izalco max has adapted tube-diameters to each size, so my first thought was, you might have smaller size with thinner seattube.
but probably this design feature is not affecting seattube diameter.
the izalco max remained unchanged since 2013, when it was released (i owned a 2014- and now own a 2017-model, both absolutely identical), so your 30,4-seatpost diameter seems really strange to me.
Last edited by reedplayer on Sat Feb 17, 2018 11:28 am, edited 1 time in total.

NiFTY

by NiFTY

Is your izalco max real?
Evo 4.9kg SL3 6.64kg Slice RS 8.89kg viewtopic.php?f=10&t=110579" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

reedplayer

by reedplayer

maybe disc version has different seattube as version for calipers.
i recommend to ask user "Squashednuts" about the diameter, he has disc-version, afaik although in 58.

iamalex

by iamalex

It was a respectable dealer so I trust it’s legitimate. Maybe it was a test frame or prototype. I’ve sent the serial # details off to Focus/Derby so I’ll wait to hear what they say

Squashednuts

by Squashednuts

iamalex wrote:
Fri Feb 16, 2018 10:37 pm
My seat tube measures 30.4mm and the Focus 31.8mm seat clamp doesn’t bite.

Could any other owners take a measurement and let me know if mine isn’t the norm?

I bought a partial frameset without a clamp and the two official Focus ones I bought afterwards are both too large but apparently the stock part. I’ve been using a 30.7mm KCNC but it’s a tad too large and bottoms out when tightening.

Thanks!
reedplayer wrote:
Sat Feb 17, 2018 11:47 am
maybe disc version has different seattube as version for calipers.
i recommend to ask user "Squashednuts" about the diameter, he has disc-version, afaik although in 58.
Measured mine and it's 32mm
Frame 56cm, 2016 Dura Ace...the blue one

I'm interested to hear what Focus have to say about why your seat tube seems different.
Building Spec Allez

Sold
Fuji SL 5.5kg viewtopic.php?f=10&t=157704

Sold -
Izalco Max Disc 6.7kg http://weightweenies.starbike.com/forum ... o+Max+disc

iamalex

by iamalex

Thanks for measuring that. At least I know now it’s not normal! No other issues with the frameset, very much enjoying it.

Squashednuts

by Squashednuts

Did you weigh the frame before assembling?

Focus seem pretty accurate with their weights
Building Spec Allez

Sold
Fuji SL 5.5kg viewtopic.php?f=10&t=157704

Sold -
Izalco Max Disc 6.7kg http://weightweenies.starbike.com/forum ... o+Max+disc

TommyCorn

by TommyCorn

I bought a izalco max frame off eBay a few months ago. It’s a size 50, rim brake, Di2 specific frame. Seat tube is 31. So yours is not the only one that a bit off.

I can’t be sure if my frame is real, but all the details looks like the real frame. It was 695g. It’s now at 648g after sanding and with matte clear coat. So the weight seems to expected for a real frame (unless it cracks on my first ride).

reedplayer

by reedplayer

iamalex wrote:
Sat Feb 17, 2018 5:51 pm
It was a respectable dealer so I trust it’s legitimate. Maybe it was a test frame or prototype. I’ve sent the serial # details off to Focus/Derby so I’ll wait to hear what they say
please dont forget to let us know. really curious about that!

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

iamalex

by iamalex

Been quite busy recently but have fired emails to the shop and Derby so will hopefully get to the bottom of this soon. Thanks for all the responses.

For my painted size 58 Disc model the frame weighed 937g, forks 383g both including the plastic cable guides installed at the factory. With the ‘heavy’ AG2R paintwork I think this about right. Cheap scales. Didn’t weight post paint stripping though.