Di2 question?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

CrankAddictsRich

by CrankAddictsRich

Putting the final tweaks into my TT bike to get ready for the season and I seem to be having a small issue with Di2. When the bike was first set up it was set up with my training wheel set (60mm deep). With the race wheels (88mm deep) on I noticed that the cassette must've been just slightly off and the bike wasn't quite shifting perfectly. I'd ask it to shift in some gears and I'd get a steady click-click-click like the RD wasn't indexed correctly. I fixed that yesterday and now it is shifting perfectly, but I noticed that it was still doing the same thing when I ask it to shift into the 53x11, but only when the bike is under load... If the bike is on the work stand, and the rear wheel can spin free, it shifts fine... but if I put the bike on the trainer (feedback sports omnium) it doesn't want to shift... sometimes, if I ease up, it will drop into the 11, but not always. Should I micro-adjust the RD in the 11? is it a limit screw problem? slightly off maybe.

wheelbuilder

by wheelbuilder

Be mindful that the high limit needs to be set up so that when shifting into the 11 the derailleur over shifts a small amount and then moves back to optimal cog positioning.
Never cheer before you know who is winning

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

spdntrxi

by spdntrxi

I would adjust the limit screw personally
2024 BMC TeamMachine R Building
2018 BMC TImeMachine Road
2002 Moots Compact-SL- getting aero look makeover
2019 Parlee Z0XD - "classified"
2023 Pivot E-Vault - completed project, full Xplr package

pdlpsher1

by pdlpsher1

wheelbuilder wrote:
Fri Feb 16, 2018 5:33 pm
Be mindful that the high limit needs to be set up so that when shifting into the 11 the derailleur over shifts a small amount and then moves back to optimal cog positioning.
+1. When you get the click click sound that means the high limit is preventing the RD from moving as part of the intentional 'overshift' on the 11 cog. This is mentioned in the installation manual.

ms6073

by ms6073

CrankAddictsRich wrote:
Fri Feb 16, 2018 5:07 pm
When the bike was first set up it was set up with my training wheel set (60mm deep). With the race wheels (88mm deep) on I noticed that the cassette must've been just slightly off and the bike wasn't quite shifting perfectly.
What is the mileage of the cassette on the training wheel versus the race wheel? Are these wheels built on the same hubs? Two thoughts come to mind, the first is that if you spend 80% of your time riding the training wheels and 20% racing, the cassettes have uneven where which can and will cause chattering during shifting. The second thought would be to suspect the freehub spacing is off ever so slightly such that when you put your training wheels back on :lol: the indexing will be off again. I have this issue when I put the road bike on the Tacx Neo as the spacing is less than 1 mm narrower on the Neo, so I added a .5 mm cassette spacer and the problem is solved.
- Michael
"People should stop expecting normal from me... seriously, we all know it's never going to happen"

CrankAddictsRich

by CrankAddictsRich

ms6073 wrote:
Fri Feb 16, 2018 7:18 pm
CrankAddictsRich wrote:
When the bike was first set up it was set up with my training wheel set (60mm deep). With the race wheels (88mm deep) on I noticed that the cassette must've been just slightly off and the bike wasn't quite shifting perfectly.
What is the mileage of the cassette on the training wheel versus the race wheel? Are these wheels built on the same hubs? Two thoughts come to mind, the first is that if you spend 80% of your time riding the training wheels and 20% racing, the cassettes have uneven where which can and will cause chattering during shifting. The second thought would be to suspect the freehub spacing is off ever so slightly such that when you put your training wheels back on :lol: the indexing will be off again. I have this issue when I put the road bike on the Tacx Neo as the spacing is less than 1 mm narrower on the Neo, so I added a .5 mm cassette spacer and the problem is solved.
Yes... this is 100% possible in terms of mileage.. same hubs.

CrankAddictsRich

by CrankAddictsRich

Hey guys... I got the back on the trainer again this afternoon and had some tweaks to that limit screw.. it seems to have fixed the issue. Thanks... now just hoping that when my disc wheel comes in a few days, it doesn't change things entirely.

IrrelevantD

by IrrelevantD

CrankAddictsRich wrote:
Sat Feb 17, 2018 12:48 am
Hey guys... I got the back on the trainer again this afternoon and had some tweaks to that limit screw.. it seems to have fixed the issue. Thanks... now just hoping that when my disc wheel comes in a few days, it doesn't change things entirely.
Keep end mind, there may be subtle differences in how the cassette lines up going from wheel to wheel. I have three rear wheels and none of them line up exactly the same. Limit screws seem to be OK where there at between the three, but I do have to adjust the trim when I switch wheels to get it to run perfectly again. Mostly, I just hear the chain rub on one of the neighboring cogs. Few taps left or right and it's good.

When you get it back, if it's real bad and the limits seem to not match up, might need to do what @ms6073 did and put a .5mm spacer on one of them.
* There is a 70% chance that what you have just read has a peppering of cynicism or sarcasm and generally should not be taken seriously.
I'll leave it up to you to figure out the other 30%. If you are in any way offended, that's on you.

freehub

by freehub

ms6073 wrote:
Fri Feb 16, 2018 7:18 pm
CrankAddictsRich wrote:
Where did you purchase a .5mm cassette spacer? I have never seen anybody space a cassette before other than to run a 10s cassette on Shimano 11s freehub.

BdaGhisallo

by BdaGhisallo

https://wheelsmfg.com/products/rear-dri ... 0-3mm.html

Wheels Mfg have some very thin freehub cassette spacers.

glepore

by glepore

+1 on the wheels spacers-more like shims, and I really like them to solve issues like the op's when swapping wheels frequently. I have numerous wheelsets in rotation among a few frames, and the wheels shims/spacers are a must.
Cysco Ti custom Campy SR mechanical (6.9);Berk custom (5.6); Serotta Ottrott(6.8) ; Anvil Custom steel Etap;1996 Colnago Technos Record

ms6073

by ms6073

freehub wrote:
Mon Feb 19, 2018 12:55 am
Where did you purchase a .5mm cassette spacer? I have never seen anybody space a cassette before other than to run a 10s cassette on Shimano 11s freehub.
See the Wheels Manufacturing link in the post above. I got our .5 mm spacers when from my race days as they were supplied with American Classics carbon wheelsets but given that I have to use .5mm spacers on our road bikes to achieve a better chainline as the SRM DA-9000 and DT Swiss 240s straight pull disc road hubs, I might need to purchase some of those .3 mm spacers as well.
- Michael
"People should stop expecting normal from me... seriously, we all know it's never going to happen"

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com