Garmin GSC 10 just quit

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

mdeth1313

by mdeth1313

So my garmin speed/cadence combo sensor just quit on my winter bike. Never had an issue w/ the one of my WW bike but after multiple rides on the salted/treated/wet/sloppy roads, mine stopped working. Replaced the battery and it worked for one ride in the wet and now it shows it's picking up both speed & cadence magnets, but my head unit (garmin 800) won't pick it up. It will pick up the one on my WW bike so I'm figuring it's the sensor.

In the meantime, I had an old niterider cadence sensor so I'll use GPS for speed, but I really hate seeing my speed drop when I ride under trees or some other GPS obstruction.

I do have the option of using the cadence sensor with a separate speed sensor -

any recommendations?
Speedplay is the devil!

sungod

by sungod

i used gsc10 for many years on my commute bike with no issues

stuff fails, i don't think there's anything particularly unreliable about it, ugly as hell though

on my other bike the pm gives cadence anyway, i had a fork mounted one but switched to the garmin speed sensor that straps on the hub, couple of years all weathers, no issues so far, long battery life

this one...

https://www.sigmasports.com/item/Garmin ... unted/3L2E

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

mdeth1313

by mdeth1313

Thanks- I have a cheap speed/cadence sensor coming for now. I was looking to see if anyone is using something on a bike sees lots of (nasty) road spray. Over the years I've had a few gsc 10's quit after riding in the wet.

Interesting thing about garmin's chest strap for the HRM - I've had mine since my garmin edge 305 - I've had to change the battery a few times but I won't switch because it keeps working flawlessly.
Speedplay is the devil!

sungod

by sungod

i do wonder if garmin's quality is consistent, my gsc-10 had maybe 8 years of year round commutes, and the uk isn't a dry country!

but i have the same experience as you with the hrm (model hrm-1b i think), mine is coming up for 9 years now, yet i see other people saying theirs failed quickly