Anybody know these brakes?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Kaboom

by Kaboom

Hello all!

I've been offered this pair of very light brake calipers, but I can't find any info on them. Does anybody know them? Make, model, etc?

According to the seller they are called "Kompression titanium ultralight" but absolutely nothing shows up on a google search... Any info is welcome

Thanks!

stevec1975

by stevec1975

they are the planet x ones (no longer available from them though) you can get the same from the bay seller is Mr-ride

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Stolichnaya

by Stolichnaya

Those are a pretty generic brake design that was being re-branded by a number of companies, including Token and others. Their performance is basically m'eh :|

Marin

by Marin

I have them and I find the perfomance absolutely adequate. They are probably the best weight/price ratio around.

There's a CNC version too. Mr.Control makes them, and there are lots of branded versions around.

https://www.google.at/search?q=mr.contr ... 25&bih=995

Kaboom

by Kaboom

Man do I LOVE this forum, you guys are awesome!!

I'm mainly interested in the rear one to replace a beat-up Ciamillo ZeroG, so braking power isn't really much of a concern. If it turns out they're more than "adequate" I might just use the front one too.

Now i'm torn between getting the second ones i'm being offered or going for brand new ones, since I just found out they come in green anodized!

EDIT: I just read through one of Mr.Controls ebay listings and they are quoted as weighing a full 220g? I know the ones in the pictures I just uploaded don't have pads or pad holders but really, 70g for pads, holders and screws?

stevec1975

by stevec1975

Mine are grey anodised and weigh in at 106 front and 104 Rear with pads. I will be selling them at some point as I have just got ee’s. Performance was always adequate to good (not much difference to Ultegra on the commute bike)
Last edited by stevec1975 on Wed Feb 14, 2018 1:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

alcatraz

by alcatraz

I use these and they brake very well. I'm curious to hear how they compare to ciamillo. Please let us know.

/a

Kaboom

by Kaboom

I was happy with the ciamillo braking power but they are incredibly finicky to adjust and very sensitive to cable housing lengths. The hex heads for the titanium cable pinch bolts get rounded reaaaaal easy too.
Also as soon as you hit some water or dust they seize up and wont open fully when the brakes are released, specially the rear, leading to rattly levers and rubbing pads, which is compounded by the fact that they are nigh-on impossible to center perfectly due to the cable housing length issue.. Cleaning them properly requires a full dissassembly and rebuild.
they look amazing and the weight savings are really nice, specially when I bought them back in 2006 or so, but they're just way too much trouble for the 60g savings over sth like 2018 Sram Red Aerolinks and the power and modulation, while good, isn't quite on the same level.

alcatraz

by alcatraz

Well, I have good and bad news. The good are that you are experienced with all issues of these fourier cnc planet x brakes.

They are not as bad as the ciamillo from the sound of it (unless you demand a crazy small gap on the pads, for a quick bite on the levers). Mine are crazy dirty and they work ok. They are hard to center and the housing needs to be exact so it doesn't push the caliper to one side.

Once adjusted they have a nice and flexyless bite. :D

/a

Marin

by Marin

Kaboom wrote:
Wed Feb 14, 2018 12:03 pm
I'm mainly interested in the rear one to replace a beat-up Ciamillo ZeroG, so braking power isn't really much of a concern.
I have old Zero Gs on the other bike. The Mr.Controls are stronger.

Weight: The CNC version is about 20g ligher. I only have the CNC so I can't compare power.

https://www.bike24.de/1.php?content=13&search=july

alcatraz

by alcatraz

They come originally with heavy swisstop brake pads. Thats 20gr per caliper, without counting the holders.

In your picture also the small cable clamps are missing.

/a

sib

by sib

These look v interesting.
Can anyone comment how they compare in terms of braking power to KCNC CB3 or CB4 brakes?

Lelandjt

by Lelandjt

My Planet X brakes (CNC version w/Ti bolts) are "adequate" enough that they've been mounted on a tandem for 4 years that's ridden in the Alps and Rockies. Not quite as nice feeling as Shimano's 11spd generation brakes but close enough.

glepore

by glepore

A real deal on light padholders here-https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000F ... UTF8&psc=1

Not everyone might like the integrated "wings" but these are 11g actual without pads.
Cysco Ti custom Campy SR mechanical (6.9);Berk custom (5.6); Serotta Ottrott(6.8) ; Anvil Custom steel Etap;1996 Colnago Technos Record

Kaboom

by Kaboom

I'm really liking what I'm hearing. I pulled the trigger on these secondhand black ones, 70€ including shipping was hard to argue with. Not having to wait 3 weeks for them to make it all the way from Taiwan is nice, too...

I'll try both front and rear and if I'm convinced by the modulation I might just resell them and buy the green anodized ones, if available in the CNC version.

"Adequate enough to stop a tandem coming down the alps" was definately convincing...

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com