Domane slr

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

nycjwi

by nycjwi

Looking for some recommendations for a great wheelset to put on domane that will gone me max speed and light weight. Bike does not have disc brakes. Thx!!

alcatraz

by alcatraz

Depends on what kind of roads you ride on (mostly hilly/mostly flat/ mixed 50-50?) and your average power output. Do you consider yourself a stronger rider? Are you a heavier rider and need braking to be top class?

If your answers are medium strong and mixed hills/flats you probably would do well with zipp 404 kind of wheels. 50-60mm deep wide toroidal carbon clinchers.

For best carbon braking you might look to campagnolo/fulcrum wheels.

For fastest climbing with a light weight rider maybe some shallow exotic wheels like ax/extralight might satisfy.

/a

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

benhama

by benhama

I would recommend the Bontrager Aeolus D3 3's. They would also match the other finishing kit on the bike. I have the 5's and they are great. Apparently only 2W difference between the 3's & 5's.

nickf

by nickf

benhama wrote:
Thu Feb 08, 2018 10:24 am
I would recommend the Bontrager Aeolus D3 3's. They would also match the other finishing kit on the bike. I have the 5's and they are great. Apparently only 2W difference between the 3's & 5's.
This^ Great wheels, I feel they are overlooked because they don't say zipp on the side. My older set has never been touched in over 2 years, they are bulletproof. I also have a set of 3s and 5s. 3s are a smoother riding wheel but the 5s seem to carry speed a little better. If I had to choose one I would go with the 5s. Weight is similar but stiffness is up and like I stated above they really do feel like the carry speed better.

garysol1
Shop Owner

by garysol1

Aeolus 5 wheelset on my Domane SLR. Awesome wheelset. Comparable weight to a Zipp 303 with the depth of a 404.

Emonda SLR
Kona JTS
Specialized AWOL
Trek Stache 9.7
Specialized Fatboy

wheelbuilder

by wheelbuilder

I concur with Aeolus 3 or 5. Not the cheaper Aeolus Pro, But the original D3 TLR's. I pretty much dislike Trek as a company, and don't care for the bikes that much either. I had a wide variety of rims/hubs/wheelsets available to me for my own bike and went with Aeolus. I ride an Orbea Orca with etap and a Ritchey WCS cockpit, so Bontrager is a pretty odd choice, but they are really good wheels. The 3's weigh 1360 real weight with the Bontrager tubeless rim strips installed. I removed those in favor of a lighter tape because I run latex so probably saved some weight there. Good aero profile, hand made in Wisconsin, carbon shelled DT hubs that look good. DT aerolite spokes with locking Alpina nipples. External nipples so no fuss when truing if needed. Braking is average with a non textured brake track. I use cork pads cause braking isn't a huge issue for me, but they stop much better with black prince. Comparable to aluminum. Roll really well, have good road feel and acceleration, and minimal to no rear brake rub. Inner width is 19.5, external is 27 I think, but don't hold me to that. The quality and detail of the appearance of the carbon lay-up throughout the entirety of the rim is really well done. Just looks and feels like quality. Not saying anything is better about it, but I have built and handled quite a few carbon rims. Zipps look like shit imo and have had some hub issues. Enve looks phenomenal on the exterior surfaces, but I and many others have seen construction flaws on the interior surfaces. Internal nipples are a pain in the ass for you or your mechanic. Aeolus is not inexpensive either, and there was a time not too long ago when they were far more expensive than Zipp or Enve. Just within the last two years have they lowered their prices to come into line with the rest of the players. The downsides as I see them are 1) They are Trek. 2) The aluminum Alpina nipples are prone to corrosion, and you have to use nipple washers when building or replacing spokes. In all fairness, I live on the coast about 300 yards from the ocean, and wash my bike compulsively with soap and water regardless of the consequences. I have had to replace several nipples due to corrosion after a year and a half or so. I imagine at some point I will have to re-build the entire thing to get fresh nipples on there, but consider it cost of ownership. Not a big deal for me as I build wheels, but a major thing to consider for some I imagine. I have not seen any corrosion problems with riders who live inland and do not wash their bikes excessively. There are a lot of good wheels out there. Good luck!

*edit to add...........Something else to consider is their strength. I have a thread in cycle chat about my current injury that has left me off the bike, but long story short I hit a Turkey at 41mph and went over the bars. I lost consciousness but judging by the damage to my bike, it appears likely that it flipped end over end many times. Zero damage to wheels. Front was out of true but it came right back with no discrepancy of spoke tension. Perfectly fine. This was a huge relief to me, as the amount of components that needed replacement was very high and expensive. Having the wheels be ok solidified my belief in them.
Never cheer before you know who is winning

SilentDrone

by SilentDrone

Like others have said you should consider going with the Aeolus D3 TLR in either 3 or 5 depth. I just placed on order for a domane SLR and I spec'd it with the 3's. The 5's look great too and provide some aero benefits with nominal weight gain.

jfranci3

by jfranci3

Those wheels rims are made by Zipp, so they are (should be) of the same quality https://www.bikeradar.com/us/road/gear/ ... ory-39224/

FIJIGabe

by FIJIGabe

jfranci3 wrote:
Thu Feb 08, 2018 8:10 pm
Those wheels rims are made by Zipp, so they are (should be) of the same quality https://www.bikeradar.com/us/road/gear/ ... ory-39224/
The older Aeolus D3's were made by Zipp, the newer ones are made by Bontrager, in house.

wheelbuilder

by wheelbuilder

jfranci3 wrote:
Thu Feb 08, 2018 8:10 pm
They are not built by Zipp. They were built by Zipp early on, but have been made in Wisconsin since late 2013 I believe.
Never cheer before you know who is winning

Geordiepaul

by Geordiepaul

The Aeolus are pricey.
I have a set of Hunt Aero 50 Disc. They're 50mm and 1425g. Wide and I run them tubeless. They're less than a grand in the UK.

There is a rim brake version.

Tenlegs

by Tenlegs

1425g That's quite a bit lighter than claimed isn't it?
I've heard in real life they're closer to 1600g, have you weighed them yourself ?

Geordiepaul

by Geordiepaul

Yeah that was the weight of my actual set claimed in 1487g.
The rim brake version is heavier.

FIJIGabe

by FIJIGabe

garysol1 wrote:
Thu Feb 08, 2018 1:53 pm
Aeolus 5 wheelset on my Domane SLR. Awesome wheelset. Comparable weight to a Zipp 303 with the depth of a 404.
Sorry, but no. Aeolus 5's are 50mm, which is 2mm larger than the 303's, but 8mm shallower than 404's (which are 58mm).

Aeolus 3 = 35mm
Aeolus 5 = 50mm
Aeolus 7 = 70mm
Aeolus 9 = 90mm

Taken straight from Trek's website.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

garysol1
Shop Owner

by garysol1

FIJIGabe wrote:
Sat Feb 10, 2018 11:35 pm
garysol1 wrote:
Thu Feb 08, 2018 1:53 pm
Sorry, but no. Aeolus 5's are 50mm, which is 2mm larger than the 303's, but 8mm shallower than 404's (which are 58mm).

Aeolus 3 = 35mm
Aeolus 5 = 50mm
Aeolus 7 = 70mm
Aeolus 9 = 90mm

Taken straight from Trek's website.
You are correct. My bad. How about this...... The Aeolus 5 is substantially lighter than the 303 by 185 grams even though it is a full 5mm deeper and its a full 250 grams lighter than the standard Firecrest 404 which is indeed 8mm deeper.
Emonda SLR
Kona JTS
Specialized AWOL
Trek Stache 9.7
Specialized Fatboy