Pioneer Power Meter stuck on ANT

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

klozzle

by klozzle

So, I picked up a well priced Pioneer dual leg power meter on eBay. (Minus the magnets or head unit). Just put it on my bike and it seems to be stuck in ANT more (as opposed to ANT+).

When I put the battery in, a green light stays on for ten seconds. When I press the switch on the drive side unit, nothing happens. It obviously doesn't connect with my own GPS unit either

I emailed Pioneer who replied:

The mode switch sequence is no longer supported via the button on the right side. This changed over a year ago when all power meters began to ship in ANT+ mode. In order to perform the switch over from Pioneer mode to ANT+ a Pioneer computer would be necessary.
I would recommend to try reaching out to a local shop in order to find a computer locally so they can switch the mode for you. If you are not able o locate a Pioneer computer locally the power meter would have to come in to our facility in CA so we can switch over to correct mode.

I'm guessing the guy who had it before me updated it, but never switched it from the ANT protocol.

Problem: I live in Dublin, Ireland and these aren't exactly common here. Does anyone have ANY idea what to do??! (Without spending another e200 on a head unit??!)

MrMojo

by MrMojo

The Pioneer computer is well worth it especially if you have the duel leg version. I just have the single left leg power meter and all the readings it gives is impressive. Keep a look out on eBay as one went the other week for under £100.

If you’re over in York, UK you can use mine!
2021 Colnago Master
2020 Colnago C64
2017 Colnago C60
2017 Colnago V1-R
2014 Cipollini RB1K
2008 Colnago Extreme C
2005 Colnago C50
2001 Colnago C40
1996 Colnago Tecnos

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

coolman2001

by coolman2001

Maybe you can try looking for a retailer or bike shop around your area with access to the pioneer computer.

AJS914

by AJS914

Or, reach out to a bike club's email list to see if anyone local has the right head unit.

nemeseri

by nemeseri

This really sucks... how stupid is to remove the switch via the button... You can buy a used one on Ebay and sell it after the switch if you don't like it. It would probably cost you two shipping.

I'd be happy to loan you mine, but shipping it to the UK and back with a decent courier just wouldn't worth it.

BikeKingV1r

by BikeKingV1r

I would for sure contact a local dealer. It’s super easy to do, just need the head unit.

TonyM

by TonyM

klozzle wrote:
Tue Feb 06, 2018 7:50 pm
I emailed Pioneer who replied:

The mode switch sequence is no longer supported via the button on the right side. This changed over a year ago when all power meters began to ship in ANT+ mode. In order to perform the switch over from Pioneer mode to ANT+ a Pioneer computer would be necessary.
I would recommend to try reaching out to a local shop in order to find a computer locally so they can switch the mode for you. If you are not able o locate a Pioneer computer locally the power meter would have to come in to our facility in CA so we can switch over to correct mode.

Changing their policy and no obliging to have a Pioneer head unit for making the updates is really a point that annoyed me with the Pioneer powermeters. An iOs/Android app would also work.

They just try to sell their head unit - but many of us have a Garmin and are not ready to buy another head unit just for the updates.

Let's see if Stages is doing the same in the future. Hopefully not.

beanbiken

by beanbiken

I have the their dual PM and received the head unit as a TDF promotion. Sold it just about straight away. Don't need or want all the extra data just like to know what my wattage is. Unless it starts to misbehave it won't be getting any updates...............

BB
BB

Coffee & carbon

klozzle

by klozzle

Thanks folks... I'm going to try a few local bike shops/clubs first. I'm not holding out hope on that one based on the fact that I doubt power meters are that popular and the fact that Pioneer don't even seem to have European distributors for their power meters anymore though!

The next best step I think is to buy the head unit second hand on eBay and sell on again afterwards.

I'll keep you all informed!

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com