Magnet for Pioneer left arm powermeter

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

yongkun

by yongkun

Hi I am considering buying a left arm powermeter from Pioneer. As recommended, a magnet is to be installed near the BB for accuracy.

Can I ask how much accuracy are we talking about and anyone here that has experience not installing the magnet? Bike is white, with the magnet does look strange.

This is with reference to Stages left arm power meter which I understood does not need a magnet

Thanks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Last edited by yongkun on Sun Feb 04, 2018 5:03 am, edited 1 time in total.

TonyM

by TonyM

Paint the magnet in white!

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

nemeseri

by nemeseri

I can confirm that Pioneer PMs in power meter mode work without a magnet just fine. If you want to make sure that they are as accurate as possible, simply install the magnet(s). Magnets are pro! :)

Based on my own experience and what I read/heard, I'd recommend the Pioneer PM over Stages. YMMV.

GothicCastle

by GothicCastle

yongkun wrote:
Sun Feb 04, 2018 5:03 am
Hi I am considering buying a left arm powermeter from Pioneer. As recommended, a magnet is to be installed near the BB for accuracy.

Can I ask how much accuracy are we talking about and anyone here that has experience not installing the magnet? Bike is white, with the magnet does look strange.
I think the magnet is only required if you are using the 360 degree pedalstroke metrics. Otherwise, you are relying on the inertial cadence from the power meter. I’m not 100% sure, but I think this is the case. A real cadence magnet will be more accurate, particularly at lower cadence.

yongkun

by yongkun

Thanks guys, appreciate your reply - I know the question could have been specifically emailed to Pioneer, just wish for real time users feedback - thanks all again!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PinaF8

by PinaF8

Gothiccastlen is correct and only require magnet to be used if you plan on using pioneer headunit with 360 pedal metrics. Otherwise, it is accurate on its own.
S-WORKS VENGE 1ST GEN
PINARELLO F8
PINARELLO F10
2018 BMC SLR01
2019 SCOTT SPARK RC 900

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com