DA 9100 vs ee brakes?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

nickstea

by nickstea

I’m new to the forum and I apologize if this has been beaten to death already...

I’m building up my c60 and I’m trying to decide between ee and DA 9100 brakes (standard rim brakes). My LBS is a big proponent of ee (they sell a ton of them, and in fact told me they are one of their biggest reselllers), they recommend I go with ee. The rest of the bike is going to be built up with DA di2.
In terms of weight, I know ee is going to be lighter, however how about the other atributes (stoping power?, durability?). I’m not worried about the price difference. Any reason to not go with ee (aside from price).
I’m very impressed with the wealth of knowledge on this forum, thanks in advance for your opinions.

Calnago
In Memoriam

by Calnago

9100! 9100! 9100!
All Day Long
Colnago C64 - The Naked Build; Colnago C60 - PR99; Trek Koppenberg - Where Emonda and Domane Meet;
Unlinked Builds (searchable): Colnago C59 - 5 Years Later; Trek Emonda SL Campagnolo SR; Special Colnago EPQ

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

nickstea

by nickstea

Calnago wrote:
Tue Jan 30, 2018 8:15 pm
9100! 9100! 9100!
All Day Long
Why????!?!

Calnago
In Memoriam

by Calnago

1) The ee design forces a somewhat awkward cable housing bend at entry... versus Dura Ace, which is clean, smooth and doesn't have to loop around to get a straightish entry into the brake itself. When the bike is said and done, the lines of cables on your bike as they head into the brakes will both be functionally and aesthetically better.
2) Dura-Ace is super stiff, solid, and doesn't have that ugly industrial look with the springy thingy which looks like someone just took a half a spoke and curved it to fit, not to mention harder to keep clean and crud free.
3) The 9100 calipers are simply beautiful, nicely finished, and match your group perfectly.
4) ee's are lighter... meh.
5) If you have to ask...
Last edited by Calnago on Tue Jan 30, 2018 8:35 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Colnago C64 - The Naked Build; Colnago C60 - PR99; Trek Koppenberg - Where Emonda and Domane Meet;
Unlinked Builds (searchable): Colnago C59 - 5 Years Later; Trek Emonda SL Campagnolo SR; Special Colnago EPQ

BdaGhisallo

by BdaGhisallo

For so many component related questions the answer is, invariably, Shimano Dura Ace. This is one such instance.

P90Puma

by P90Puma

Calnago wrote:
Tue Jan 30, 2018 8:35 pm
4) ee's are lighter... meh.
Wrong forum dude?

edit: 5k posts, fell for the :troll:

Calnago
In Memoriam

by Calnago

Wow! 5000? Shouldn't I get some kind of prize.

sungod

by sungod

this is weightweenies, ee brakes are lighter

not shiny though, that is a downside, but...

ee brakes are lighter

the power is good

ee brakes are lighter

the modulation is good

ee brakes are lighter

don't understand the bit above about cable angle, mine are fine

ee brakes are lighter

also, ee brakes are lighter

Ringo

by Ringo

I’m voting for ee brakes cause:

It’s unique industrial look sets it apart from the 3 main companies,
it’s super light,
It’s style is timeless, so you have no reason to change it every other year like it’s an old iPhone,
Stopping Power is very good,
You could change in the future your groupset to another without the need to buy also the brakes,
It’ll look great on your c60!
Go for it!
XXTi
C60

Imaking20

by Imaking20

I've used EE with Etap, Super Record, and now 9100 and I think EEs actually pair best with the Campy. When I was running SR/Record group, I swapped my EEs for dual pivot Campy calipers to see if I was missing anything. The initial bite at low speed (rolling) was stronger with all Campy but ultimate power and modulation - I felt EE were at least on par.

I more recently swapped my bike to 9100 group but kept the EE and I have finally caved and have been experimenting with 9100 brakes myself. While the ultimate power is still more than sufficient, I am not crazy about how much pressure needs to be applied from the hoods now. When braking from the drops, I think the longer lever of Shimano provides more leverage than the EE provides stiffness and the result is a little bit of 'squish' when squeezing the brakes hard. Not being crazy about this - I finally threw on the 9100 calipers that had been sitting on the shelf. It's been raining a ton in the PNW so I've only been out on 4 rides with all 9100 but so far, they do not resolve the issue I was looking to solve and I am 95% sure I'll be back to EE. Braking from the hoods still requires more pressure than SR/EE and I (am surprised to) still feel that the lever provides more leverage than the 9100 brake has stiffness. They are also dust magnets and I don't like how giant they look after getting used to (and loving the look of) EE.

Cliffnotes:

EE Pros
-Barely half the weight of 9100
-Don't show dirt as badly as the glossy 9100
-Excellent braking power once you take the time to set them up properly
-Less bits hanging out in the wind (including the cable routing - which I also prefer)
-Easiest pad changes in the business

EE Cons
-More time consuming to setup. Not just the fact of spacing the pads - but to truly get the performance out of these brakes, you need to figure out just how many spacers should be installed behind the pads and how far the pads should be adjusted from the braking surface
-Harder to clean
-Expensive

9100 Pros
-Set it and forget it
-Easier quick release
-Less finicky with wide ranges in rim width (if you run several different wheels)
-Cheaper
-Perhaps a slightly better initial bite than EE. Definitely not life changing

9100 Cons
-Heavy as all get out
-More involved pad changing process (totally standard)
-Glossier finish shows dust and road grime very easily

I'm still planning some different wheel experiments and a swap back to EE before writing off the 9100. But right now I would be hesitant to say the 9100 brakes are better (though excellent on their own for sure).

beeatnik

by beeatnik

If you want the best brake, get 9100.

If you want the lightest brake, get EE.

If you want the bike to look just right, go with either (as the C60 is one of the few frames whose lines complement the EE's brutal, industrial aeshetic).

I went with 9100, myself.

wheelbuilder

by wheelbuilder

I concur with everything above. I feel I can give a pretty honest assessment as I have no personal bias. I use Red brakes on my bike, cause I don't particularly care about braking that much! I have however, set up multiple bikes with both examples of what we are discussing. I have also ridden both extensively.
9100.....have a very big side profile visually. Don't be surprised to think that your brakes look huge until you get used to them. Have a very refined, gloss black and polished finish that looks very good in my opinion. Are very stiff with minimal arm torque or rotation. Are very easy to set up with proper pad spacing, and very easy to get the pads to contact the brake tracks at the same time. The actual action of the brake (the brake moving in response to cable pull) is so smooth it is almost hard to believe. The modulation once the pads contact the rim is very, very, good. The power and bite is very, very, good. They are very, very, heavy. It is easy to mistakenly buy the chainstay mounted brake for the seatstays, and the chainstay mounted brake is unfinished and looks like garbage. The quick release lever is easy to operate.

EE...... Super cool look to them if you like their exposed workings style. Replaceable EE badge available in many colors to compliment your bike. Very, very, light. Super smooth brake action on par with 9100. Very good modulation which is arguably better than 9100. Very good power and bite but 9100 wins this. Really stiff. Fussy to set up pad spacing with a fair number of spacers needing to be employed depending on rim. Rear brake is very sensitive to housing entry angle and particularly length. Experimentation will be needed. Quick release can be hard to disengage. On traditional mount frames, centering can be extra sensitive to mounting nut torque. Very hard to keep clean.

Both awesome choices. Nice problem to have!
Never cheer before you know who is winning

morganb

by morganb

I haven't ridden 9100 brakes but I prefer the feel of the eeBrakes compare to the 9000s, just feel lighter in terms of action and plenty of power, both with carbon and alloy rims. They definitely take more time to set up but some of that I think came down to me installing tons of Shimano brakes and having such familiarity.

Ringo

by Ringo

Some of you said that ee are complicated to setup..
After the initial setup though, you forget it or you occasionally need to check it?
Does ee need constantly your attention?
XXTi
C60

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Imaking20

by Imaking20

I would not say that EE requires check-ups unless you're swapping wheels a lot. I frequently change wheels - which usually means I'm also changing pads and often changing the spacing. They've never come out of center or anything like Aerolink or Planet X.