Which depth goes best on Domane SLR Disc? - Aeolus 30 mm or 50 mm?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

SilentDrone

by SilentDrone

I'm ordering a P1 2018 Domane SLR Disc in size 62. This is the endurance geometry, i.e., its a tall bike, which is what I need. So, I'm considering both of these wheels and wondering which do you think would look best on this bike? The 3s or the 5s?

Normally, I'd go with the lightest, which is the 3, but the 5 isn't that much heavier and I think it might look better. I dunno. Most of the trek-segafredo press photos show the bike with 5s, but that's the pro endurance geometry which is lower (and just looks better with that drop). I haven't seen too many of these in the wild unfortunately. What do you think goes best with this bike?

I realize this question is all about vanity. Apologies for that, but this has been on my mind!

TonyM

by TonyM

For the look definitely the higher ....

But do you care only for the look? :shock: I would take the one that fit you better! Higher rims have also different characteristics like the steer moment in the crosswinds, etc....

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

SilentDrone

by SilentDrone

TonyM wrote:
Mon Jan 29, 2018 6:48 pm

But do you care only for the look? :shock: I would take the one that fit you better! Higher rims have also different characteristics like the steer moment in the crosswinds, etc....
Given that the 3's are 35mm and the 5's 50mm, and the (published) weight difference is about 80 grams, how much difference in feel will there really be? Some, certainly. But it doesn't seem like there will be much.

TonyM

by TonyM

SilentDrone wrote:
TonyM wrote:
Mon Jan 29, 2018 6:48 pm

Given that the 3's are 35mm and the 5's 50mm, and the (published) weight difference is about 80 grams, how much difference in feel will there really be? Some, certainly. But it doesn't seem like there will be much.

Where you ride and how fast do you ride?

SilentDrone

by SilentDrone

TonyM wrote: Where you ride and how fast do you ride?
Some flat and some mountains. I live on the Wasatch front so sometimes I’m going uphill but other times there’s a lot of flat in the valley and desert. I can do a flat century or a 40 mile ride that has 7000 ft of climbing.

As for speed, I’m pretty slow. Maybe 20ish mpg on the flats in calm winds.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TonyM

by TonyM

Then for efficiency definitely go for the 35mm! The 50mm will not give you a advantage at that speed. Actually a small disadvantage in the climbs as they are heavier.

For the look take the 50mm.

MoreRideTime

by MoreRideTime

Just to muddy the waters... a 3 on the front and a 5 on the rear?

SilentDrone

by SilentDrone

MoreRideTime wrote:
Tue Jan 30, 2018 2:48 am
Just to muddy the waters... a 3 on the front and a 5 on the rear?
Nah. I do know that I want them the same front and back.

SilentDrone

by SilentDrone

TonyM wrote:
Tue Jan 30, 2018 2:02 am
Then for efficiency definitely go for the 35mm! The 50mm will not give you a advantage at that speed. Actually a small disadvantage in the climbs as they are heavier.

For the look take the 50mm.
This brings me full circle... My brain says to go with the 3's as the best all rounder, but my heart says to go with the 5's for the look, and the weight penalty be damned! Decisions....

Is there anybody out there who's see the 5's on a 62cm Domane and can comment on look, or who's ridden them on this bike and can comment on the ride?

TonyM

by TonyM

Here also what to consider if you prefer the 50mm: On the hills the 50mm will make you maybe 0.1 mph slower than the 35mm. If you ride solo, then who cares about 0.1 mph faster or slower? That way you ride with style. And look better at the coffee shop/ bakery if you make a stop there. And in the flats the 50mm will be slightly faster than the 35mm.

Calnago
In Memoriam

by Calnago

On a 62 Domane, the 5’s will look low profile. Go with your heart. I’m pretty sure that if you don’t, you’ll wish you had, just because of your expressed wants. They’re not going to be that different and I’m thinking you're a bigger guy (just because of your bike size). It takes more wind to blow you around. Get what you want now, and if you feel you made the wrong decision down the road, sell them and get the other ones. Or keep them both.
Last edited by Calnago on Tue Jan 30, 2018 5:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
Colnago C64 - The Naked Build; Colnago C60 - PR99; Trek Koppenberg - Where Emonda and Domane Meet;
Unlinked Builds (searchable): Colnago C59 - 5 Years Later; Trek Emonda SL Campagnolo SR; Special Colnago EPQ

oldnslow2

by oldnslow2

For everyday riding get the 3's. For race day on a flat course with only a light breeze, get the 5s.

SilentDrone

by SilentDrone

Calnago wrote:On a 62 Domane, the 5’s will look low profile. Go with your heart. I’m pretty sure that if you don’t, you’ll wish you had, just because of your expressed wants. They’re not going to be that different and I’m thinking you're a bigger guy (just because of your bike size). It takes more wind to blow you around. Get what you want now, and if you feel you made the wrong decision down the road, sell them and get the other ones. Or keep them both.
Lots of wisdom in this post. I guess I’m just looking for someone to give me permission to follow my heart...

Calnago
In Memoriam

by Calnago

Of course you are. It's obvious. Nothing wrong with that. Feel guilty about stealing from others, not for getting the wheels that appeal to you most.
Colnago C64 - The Naked Build; Colnago C60 - PR99; Trek Koppenberg - Where Emonda and Domane Meet;
Unlinked Builds (searchable): Colnago C59 - 5 Years Later; Trek Emonda SL Campagnolo SR; Special Colnago EPQ

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

TonyM

by TonyM

SilentDrone wrote:
Tue Jan 30, 2018 8:24 pm
Calnago wrote:On a 62 Domane, the 5’s will look low profile. Go with your heart. I’m pretty sure that if you don’t, you’ll wish you had, just because of your expressed wants. They’re not going to be that different and I’m thinking you're a bigger guy (just because of your bike size). It takes more wind to blow you around. Get what you want now, and if you feel you made the wrong decision down the road, sell them and get the other ones. Or keep them both.
Lots of wisdom in this post. I guess I’m just looking for someone to give me permission to follow my heart...

Look at my post above and get the 50mm! You like them and they are great looking!