Question about detach and reattach quarq meter spider .

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Chans1ee

by Chans1ee

Hi,there.
I have a question about detaching a quarq spider.
Yesterday i received quarq dzero non-hidden bolt powermeter.
However, I have to detach the spider to apply the chainring I want to use.(rotor noq aero chainring set)
I wonder if the calibration is not affected by deteching and reattatch the spider.
If that is possible, how much torque i have to apply to each spider bolts?(star-shaped bolts)
Attachments
dddd.jpg

sungod

by sungod

manuals are online

might be this one...

https://www.quarq.com/wp-content/upload ... al_EEU.pdf

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Chans1ee

by Chans1ee

sungod wrote:
Mon Jan 29, 2018 9:55 am
manuals are online

might be this one...

https://www.quarq.com/wp-content/upload ... al_EEU.pdf
Yeah, I read the manual but could not find anything about spider detachment.

glepore

by glepore

No need to recalibrate. Torque bolts to spec. It will be wonky for a bit, maybe 2-4 rides, until chainrings "settle". Helps to use a torque wrench on the chainring bolts as well. Spec in the manual.
Cysco Ti custom Campy SR mechanical (6.9);Berk custom (5.6); Serotta Ottrott(6.8) ; Anvil Custom steel Etap;1996 Colnago Technos Record

MayhemSWE

by MayhemSWE

One of the advertised "features" of the DZero platform was that no recalibration are required due to the more stable 8-bolt interface. Unlike the 3-bolt interface of their previous platforms, which supposedly required recalibration if removing the spider from the arms…

wingguy

by wingguy

Chans1ee wrote:
Mon Jan 29, 2018 9:46 am
However, I have to detach the spider to apply the chainring I want to use.(rotor noq aero chainring set)
Why do you need to detach the spider?

jever98

by jever98

Can you let me know if the No-Q Aero did fit on Quarq or if the chain ring interfered with the battery housing?`

Thanks
----
No longer in the industry

FredBloggs

by FredBloggs

I detached my 3 bolt hidden bolt spider in order to fit some praxis works chainrings. It was never the same again, it read approx. 35 Watts loser than it used to. I sent it back and got a replacement unit from SRAM. My advice, don’t bother.

Chans1ee

by Chans1ee

jever98 wrote:
Mon Jan 29, 2018 7:31 pm
Can you let me know if the No-Q Aero did fit on Quarq or if the chain ring interfered with the battery housing?`

Thanks
Hi, there.
Yes, noq aero chainring interfered with the battery housing.
so if you want to attach aero chaing to quarq, you have to cut off interfering part.
I attach a picture that cutted-off aero chainring that fit to quarq dzero.
Attachments
1517488220044.jpg
1517488220806.jpg
1517488221822.jpg

jever98

by jever98

Thanks!
----
No longer in the industry

Carcinogent

by Carcinogent

FredBloggs wrote:
Mon Jan 29, 2018 7:57 pm
I detached my 3 bolt hidden bolt spider in order to fit some praxis works chainrings. It was never the same again, it read approx. 35 Watts loser than it used to. I sent it back and got a replacement unit from SRAM. My advice, don’t bother.
That bad huh? Btw did you ever try hanging a known weight off the cranks to see the slope beofre and after the change?

FredBloggs

by FredBloggs

Carcinogent wrote:
Fri Feb 02, 2018 9:11 am
FredBloggs wrote:
Mon Jan 29, 2018 7:57 pm
That bad huh? Btw did you ever try hanging a known weight off the cranks to see the slope beofre and after the change?
@Carcinogent - 20kg verified weight, the slope value did move by a bit, in the value of 0.x as opposed to a whole number though. The 8 newer 8 bolt version may well not exhibit this behaviour but frankly I would have never bothered if I had known of the outcome.

Carcinogent

by Carcinogent

I guess there is something about that 3 bolt design that makes things sketchy and only someone with the 'know how' can fix. I have had ideas about detaching the spider, swapping to compact, etc, not anymore... Thanks for the info!

FredBloggs

by FredBloggs

Carcinogent wrote:
Fri Feb 02, 2018 1:43 pm
I guess there is something about that 3 bolt design that makes things sketchy and only someone with the 'know how' can fix. I have had ideas about detaching the spider, swapping to compact, etc, not anymore... Thanks for the info!
There is no 'know how' I am afraid, it has to go back to the US to be re-calibrated, see response below from SRAM when I asked about resolving the issue within my home country, UK.

"Unfortunately we do not have a service center that has the same type of calibration machinery that we have in our factory. The power meter would have to come back to the US for the recalibration to be done"

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Carcinogent

by Carcinogent

Something similar happened to a buddy of mine who changed the cranks on a Dura Ace SRM. The guys at Cyclepowermeters.com could calibrate it though.