Colnago EPS or C59?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

MattN

by MattN

Things are coming together and the chance to buy a new bike looks likely, I'm considering either an EPS or C59.

I currently own a Dream (58t), Master Olympic (59t) and a CLX 3.0 (54s), I love everything about each bike, each one with its own merits but I'm looking to add another to the collection and am struggling to make my mind up.

Obviously availability will come into it, sourcing either of the choices in the right size is not impossible but quite limited, if I were a bit shorter I'd be swamped with options in 52s!

I have around £2-2500 GBP to spend, I should be able to get a complete bike for that and chop and change bits as I see fit. If a C60 in MHCF frameset came up in budget I'd also be seriously tempted and just build it up with the 2016 Chorus & 303 tubs I currently have on the CLX.

I've read lots of reviews of each, I've only ever ridden one C59 - my FiLs which is a 57t so a little small for me without making some adjustments but initial impressions were good. There's little to choose between the two, it'd be nice to read some thoughts and pros / cons from owners out there.

Thanks, Matt
Last edited by MattN on Thu Feb 01, 2018 10:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

fromtrektocolnago

by fromtrektocolnago

i wish i could comment on the eps but i've never ridden one. can only say nice things about the c-59. been on mine since 2013 and its my favorite bike from anything i've ever been on.
Colnago C-59 (Dura Ace)
Firefly(Ultegra)
Colnago C-64 disc(ultegra) with Bora 35 wheels

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

MJB

by MJB

Can't comment on the C59.

I've owned C50, EP and EPS. The EPS is my current ride.

My experience has been that the C50 is a very compliant frameset.

The EP felt every bit as comfortable as the C50 with a snappier handling feel to it.

The EPS is a stiffer feel than the EP with the same snappy handling.

My expectation is that the C59 is a margin stiffer again than the EPS.

Don't rule out an EP - it's the sweetest one I've had so far and I'd go right back to one if I could find a pretty paint scheme in 52s at a genuine price.

Mockenrue

by Mockenrue

I concur with MJB. I've owned all those mentioned including a C40 and Extreme-C. Five C59s over the years (still have three) and sold my EPS only last week. The C59 is a margin stiffer again but I would say not to the same degree as the EPS was over the EP. The ride is notably more refined however; IMO the C59 retains the snappy feel of the EPS without shouting about it quite so much.

Obviously if you ever look to electronic shifting this rules out the EPS with its external only cabling and non-removable down tube stops. Later C59s were available as dual use or electronic only versions in addition to standard mechanical, all with internal cable routing.

I would've kept my EPS were it not for the colour (AM00) of which I was never terribly fond. If I find another in MTBK or PR82 in my size I'll be all over it.

MattN

by MattN

PRZA would be my ultimate EPS.

I've seen a 54s MTBK but it's in OZ, not great when I'm in the UK!

Also seen an AM00 in Italy, I quite like that colour way tbh. The black areas are bare lacquered carbon aren't they?

coriordan

by coriordan

There's a 54s MHRD c60 on ebay with EPS v2 + wheels for £3,400. May go for 3 if you offer cash.

MattN

by MattN

coriordan wrote:
Mon Jan 22, 2018 4:53 pm
There's a 54s MHRD c60 on ebay with EPS v2 + wheels for £3,400. May go for 3 if you offer cash.
Yeh I've seen that, it's nice but also quite brash too, was originally on at £4K I think so come down a far bit already, money talks though!

Prob a month away from making a decision.

coriordan

by coriordan

C59 54s just gone on for 2,8 with 9070 and mavic ultimates

GonaSovereign

by GonaSovereign

I've said this elsewhere, but the EPS is the Goldilocks bike from Colnago. It's a full-on rocket ship race bike, but strangely has more tire clearance than the others C-series bikes or the EP. I ride 28s no problem, and have put 32 clincher file treads on to test (it fits; just).

In a moment of weakness, I offered this up for sale and asked almost nothing for it. Thankfully no one grabbed it before I came to my senses.
ImageUntitled

The EPS has round tubes vs shaped on the C59, but as the former owner of a Master, I know the tube profile has little to do with the ride.

Short story: they're both really nice. The tire clearance kept me from picking up a C59. I suppose they'll address that with the c64 next week....

MattN

by MattN

So I've found a NOS C59 in AD10, but it's in the USA which means import and VAT to pay.

I've also been talking to my LBS a lot and am considering something completely different as well - Pegoretti MxxxxxO, I'd go standard geo as a 56 would be perfect and go ciavete.

Argh.

fromtrektocolnago

by fromtrektocolnago

high end colnagos to me are lugged, so i'd go c-59. it's part of the heritage and branding.
Colnago C-59 (Dura Ace)
Firefly(Ultegra)
Colnago C-64 disc(ultegra) with Bora 35 wheels

Calnago
In Memoriam

by Calnago

@Trektocolnago: EPS is lugged too. As is the Extreme-C and Extreme Power.

@MattN: There was a beautiful EPS NOS PRZA available for sale somewhere recently, thought of this thread but for some reason I don't think it was the right size. Have you seen that, since you've been looking? If not, and you want to I'll see if I can find again. It think it was a 56 Traditional.
Colnago C64 - The Naked Build; Colnago C60 - PR99; Trek Koppenberg - Where Emonda and Domane Meet;
Unlinked Builds (searchable): Colnago C59 - 5 Years Later; Trek Emonda SL Campagnolo SR; Special Colnago EPQ

MattN

by MattN

Not seen that one no.

I've seen a 58t EPS with SR on eBay at about £1800, very nice, I asked for some more pics and measurements to ensure it def is a 58 but nothing back.

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre ... 2764573002

Calnago
In Memoriam

by Calnago

I think that’s why I didn’t bother mentioning it before. 56T would be too small for you, correct? You’d ideally like a 58t or 54s, is that correct? What about one size either way... like a 57T or a 59T. Would that work? I know for me personally that a 59T would be the smallest I’d want to go, and a 61T is the largest. Probably a 60T would be perfect but they weren’t making the even sizes in a traditional by then. And I didn’t really want to go sloping. But with my setup I know I could make a 56s work just fine, and fitwise/handling wise it would probably be perfect for me. So that’s basically 4 sizes within a small range they would work for me. Most other brands it would be one size... the Trek for example... is a no brainer for me... 60, and then just choose between H1 or H2 geo. In fact, all those Colnagos I just mentioned have headtube lengths that fall in between a Trek 60 H1 and 60 H2. I’m sure that used to be a Colnago dealer’s nightmare, having the customer who could fit multiple sizes but couldn’t make up his mind which one was best. Then.... there’s the color? I could see from a dealers perspective how selling Colnagos would be a trying experience. And of course, when the customer finally does decide on size and color then it’s not likely the dealer would have it in stock and the long ordering process begins. Ha. But oh so sweet in the end. I do love that Zabel Blue for sure.
Colnago C64 - The Naked Build; Colnago C60 - PR99; Trek Koppenberg - Where Emonda and Domane Meet;
Unlinked Builds (searchable): Colnago C59 - 5 Years Later; Trek Emonda SL Campagnolo SR; Special Colnago EPQ

MattN

by MattN

My Master is actually a 59t thinking about, Dream is 58t and CLX 54s.

On the Master I run a 100mm stem, on the others a 110mm, I just prefer the slightly longer stem setup so don't really wanna go bigger than 58t.

The EPS I linked is nice and tempting but I need some more pics from the seller and confirmation of the size as so many people incorrectly measure Colnagos and list the size wrong.

One quite big Colnago seller for example often lists 58t bikes but then lists the TT ctc as 57cm when in truth it should be 56.5cm, it just makes me doubt things. He has both a C59 and EPS listed as 58t but when asked said 57cm TT, so I don't know what he's measuring seat tube wise. The EPS he had was also a re-paint to mirror an M10 colour way (inc monocoque decal on rear stays?!) but told me it was a custom order for the Belgian importer.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com