Adam Hansen's 2018 Bike

Discuss light weight issues concerning road bikes & parts.
Fiery

by Fiery

Lelandjt wrote:
Mon Jan 22, 2018 12:31 pm
siauragama wrote:
Mon Jan 22, 2018 9:57 am
Lelandjt wrote:
Mon Jan 22, 2018 8:00 am
Same setup preferences (saddle high and forward, bar low). Okay, not even I have my sadddle that far forward. I thought there's a UCI rule about that?
I like it this way too. This is a good setup to ride fast and straight. When it comes to handling/steering I find there is too much weight on the front wheel.
How do you deal with that? Move weight backwards before breaking/steering?
Long top tube/short stem. I could fit on a 58 with a long stem but I like a 60 or 61. I've always used a 100mm stem but just switched to a 110 to really stretch out. Combined with the short chainstay and steep head angle of a race bike I'd say the weight distribution and handling are nice.
This is the way some mountain bikers have been doing it for decades and now nearly all mountain bikes are set up that way. I can't see a reason for road bikes to not also go with this geometry except for the added weight over a smaller frame.
I believe this is exactly why Rohan Dennis moved up a size when he switched to a higher and more forward saddle position. Compare his 2015 and 2016 setups:
https://www.bikeradar.com/road/gear/art ... r01-43489/
http://www.bikeradar.com/road/gear/arti ... ike-46198/

While the change in MTB geometry is somewhat similar, I don't think the reasons are at all related - I would look more toward TT bikes instead.

Lelandjt

by Lelandjt

I never knew that he does the rearward cleat thing. Is he the only World Tour guy who does? I thought it was an old guy century rider thing.

by Weenie

Zakalwe

by Zakalwe

I think the guy’s great, but his bike looks like he’s crashed it

Johnny Rad

by Johnny Rad

Another perspective from the cheap seats:

His Ridley looks so wrong to me because it "breaks" a lot of "rules."

Me thinks some of these so-called "rules" may need to be "broken."

First one to break through pays, but opens it up for others to follow.

(I'm not a trailblazer - I'm a happy laggard so you count me out.)

ergott

by ergott

Lelandjt wrote:
Mon Jan 22, 2018 4:22 pm
I never knew that he does the rearward cleat thing. Is he the only World Tour guy who does? I thought it was an old guy century rider thing.
He's the only one I know of.

tmr5555

by tmr5555

Whatever works for you zakeen!

Digger90

by Digger90

Johnny Rad wrote:
Mon Jan 22, 2018 6:39 pm
Another perspective from the cheap seats:

His Ridley looks so wrong to me because it "breaks" a lot of "rules."

Me thinks some of these so-called "rules" may need to be "broken."

First one to break through pays, but opens it up for others to follow.

(I'm not a trailblazer - I'm a happy laggard so you count me out.)

The thing is - what he's done to his bike to make it work for him is so unnecessary were Ridley to make a frame that fit him better.

If you look at it, he's positioned the seat further forward forward and lowered his bars - both of which could be achieved by a steeper seat tube angle and a lower head tube - without making the bike look like it's been hit by the the Ugly Stick.

It's hardly trail-blazing. It looks more like a disaster - a total compromise for a poor-fitting frame.

wingguy

by wingguy

Digger90 wrote:
Mon Jan 22, 2018 7:52 pm
If you look at it, he's positioned the seat further forward forward and lowered his bars.
Good eye! Not sure anyone else noticed that.
It's hardly trail-blazing. It looks more like a disaster - a total compromise for a poor-fitting frame.
But it's only a poor fitting frame for him. Most everyone else, including world tour racers, would be fine. And with the greatest of respect to Ridley, I doubt they're like a Trek or Spesh or even a Cannondale who can afford to make one off custom mould bikes for any of their riders. Hansen's bike fit has some very specific goals that he has worked on for years to achieve and adapt to, and neither of those things apply to the vast majority of people who buy bikes.

wingguy

by wingguy

Lelandjt wrote:
Mon Jan 22, 2018 1:14 pm
There will be some crit racer who will say this setup isn't nimble enough but in the real world and once becoming accustomed to it I doubt there's ever a stituation where a "new geo" bike would give up anything to traditional geo.
If you can, try and find somewhere you can try a Whyte Gisburn or Friston gravel bike.

They're 4 to 5cm longer in reach than a conventional road bike with short stems and 74 seat / 70 degree head angle. I haven't had a chance to rail a fast on road descent on one, and when I first saw it I never thought it would work, but on the quick spin around that I did the handling was ridiculously fun.

morganb

by morganb

wingguy wrote:
Mon Jan 22, 2018 8:13 pm
Lelandjt wrote:
There will be some crit racer who will say this setup isn't nimble enough but in the real world and once becoming accustomed to it I doubt there's ever a stituation where a "new geo" bike would give up anything to traditional geo.
If you can, try and find somewhere you can try a Whyte Gisburn or Friston gravel bike.

They're 4 to 5cm longer in reach than a conventional road bike with short stems and 74 seat / 70 degree head angle. I haven't had a chance to rail a fast on road descent on one, and when I first saw it I never thought it would work, but on the quick spin around that I did the handling was ridiculously fun.
The Lauf True Grit and Merida Silex are also designed along these lines.

XCProMD

by XCProMD

I did it myself some years ago when I made a frame for my dad. I’ll try to find some pics

Inviato dal mio iPhone utilizzando Tapatalk

prebsy

by prebsy

Lelandjt wrote:
There will be some crit racer who will say this setup isn't nimble enough but in the real world and once becoming accustomed to it I doubt there's ever a stituation where a "new geo" bike would give up anything to traditional geo. XC MTB racers are just now starting to discover this as they were the last MTBers to adopt it due to their belief that at low speeds they needed a long stem.
I mostly race crits and my fit has evolved by a similar philosophy over the years (obviously not as extreme). The weight distribution is a little f**kd , particularly when you have to brake hard before a corner and end up w/ extra weight over the front. You have to readjust your weight right before the corner or the rear can get unweighted start skipping. It's something you adjust to though and I find the other benefits of the position are well worth it.

For stage racing, long days in the break, working on the front not even a question you'd give up that bit of handling for the aero benefits / comfort (depending who you ask).

I've always found the cleat position swapping a bit weird... makes sense just so much tinkering day to day.... does he alter his saddle height with the shoe/cleat changes?

wingguy

by wingguy

morganb wrote:
Mon Jan 22, 2018 8:20 pm
The Lauf True Grit and Merida Silex are also designed along these lines.
Whyte have taken it to the extremes - the front centre on a 56 Friston is almost 3cm longer than on a large Lauf. It's basically like they've learned from trail bike development that geometry will keep getting pushed further and further eventually, so they've skipped a couple of generations of incremental change and done it all in one go :lol:

Lelandjt

by Lelandjt

Wait, so he doesn't always use the rearward cleats but rather swaps between those and more normal shoes? Which stages make him choose which setup?

by Weenie

Jenmoss

by Jenmoss

I like his style but the seat post for me is a disaster. Why not have a straight seatpost and just adjust the seat . I think Hansen has become a fashion victim :lol: