Rain Bike

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Bridgeman

by Bridgeman

Sometimes it can be a joyous time, when your good bike gets relegated to rain bike status. Like when the arrival of your new bike is imminent!
Last edited by Bridgeman on Sun Jan 21, 2018 10:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

IrrelevantD

by IrrelevantD

Yea, but riding your good bike in the rain makes for a great excuse for a full wash and lube when the wife says "why are you spending so much time working on your bike today".
* There is a 70% chance that what you have just read has a peppering of cynicism or sarcasm and generally should not be taken seriously.
I'll leave it up to you to figure out the other 30%. If you are in any way offended, that's on you.

TonyM

by TonyM

I personally prefer to just have a great good bike with fenders/ mudguards as your rain bike!

This is mine:
viewtopic.php?f=10&t=148608

morganb

by morganb

I find there is some enjoyment in having a rain bike that is absolutely terrible. I have a Dolan Preffisio with a heavily abused 7900 group, whatever wheels are on their last legs, and cheap SKS fenders. It weighs 24lbs with pedals and cages but makes my nice bikes feel super fast when winter is over.

fromtrektocolnago

by fromtrektocolnago

i use my winter/ gravel bike as a rain bike, my firefly, figure since it is titanium with disc it makes the most sense. only thing missing is fenders, but to be honest if its raining too hard i don't want to be out anyway
Colnago C-59 (Dura Ace)
Firefly(Ultegra)
Colnago C-64 disc(ultegra) with Bora 35 wheels

kdawg

by kdawg

You’d love proper full length guards though - makes riding in anything but torrential rain comfortable. Turns out you mostly get wet from rain coming up rather than down so you can ride in decent rain and only be mildly damp. A good front guard keeps your feet and legs pretty dry too.
I'm left handed, if that matters.

TonyM

by TonyM

kdawg wrote:You’d love proper full length guards though - makes riding in anything but torrential rain comfortable. Turns out you mostly get wet from rain coming up rather than down so you can ride in decent rain and only be mildly damp. A good front guard keeps your feet and legs pretty dry too.
+1

However I actually never believed it really until I used myself such full length fenders/ mudguards...

TonyM

by TonyM

morganb wrote:I find there is some enjoyment in having a rain bike that is absolutely terrible. I have a Dolan Preffisio with a heavily abused 7900 group, whatever wheels are on their last legs, and cheap SKS fenders. It weighs 24lbs with pedals and cages but makes my nice bikes feel super fast when winter is over.
That’s the way I thought 30 years ago. Actually everybody thought like this.

But actually if you work at 300W with the winter heavy cheap bike it is not a better training than 300W with a nice rain bike.

I have to admit that the new training methods (also with power) changed some of my older thoughts (even if I have kept some of my old believes/ behaviors sometimes).

liam7020

by liam7020

I like to have a really nice wet weather bike. Basically it could be a race bike only it has full mudguards and slightly heavier tyres. It rains pretty much all the time here in the north of Ireland so you end up spending the majority of your rides on the rain bike and it keeps the enthusiasm going if you have a decent bike to splash about on! Simplon Pavo III with 9000 DA for me.
Tarmac SL6 & Campag Record EPS https://weightweenies.starbike.com/foru ... 0&t=153968

"Sometimes you don't need a plan. You just need big balls." Tom Boonen

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com