Colnago C59 brake fitting issues

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

DeRibble

by DeRibble

Hey all

Long time lurker, first time poster. I've just bought a secondhand C59 and today started building it up. All good until I get to the brakes...

Front brake goes on fine, although it seems like less threads are engaging than I'm used to. I've found references to a longer than standard 40mm bolt being required. Is this right?

https://www.totalcycling.com/en/gb/Ligh ... 18129.aspx

Can't get the rear brake to fit at all :oops: The hole through the brake bridge reduces in diameter about halfway through, presumably so the main body of the bolt can pass through but not the head. Problem is, I've tried all varieties of bolts at hand and they are all too large in diameter to pass through. The second pic shows the shortest sized Campagnolo bolt (~13mm) pushed in as far as it will go. It's bottomed out against the 'step' shown in the first picture, and is not far enough in to engage any threads on the caliper.

So, my question is does the frame use some kind of proprietary bolts? If so I will ask the seller if he still has them, but just wanted to check my facts first. I have a C40 which uses an odd size of rear bolt (doesn't fit the C59 though!) so I know Colnago have history with this kind of thing.

thanks

Alex

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

AJS914

by AJS914

These days, I just go online and find longer or shorter bolts as needed. Like this:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Titanium-Reces ... 2483441480

This seller has a 10mm Campagnolo bolt:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-Campagnolo ... 2305031836

You can get a longer bolt for the front to get more thread engagement and a short bolt on the rear.

For the rear, you can also just file down the bolt you have. Or, as you said, if the seller is willing he should have the proper sized bolts he was using with the frame.

shipley

by shipley

I had the same issue and bought the Totalcycling 40mm bolt you have referenced above. It fits perfectly.

Catches most people out !

DeRibble

by DeRibble

Thanks for the suggestions guys, the longer bolt for the fork seems like a no-brainer so I will order one if the seller doesn't have it.

I'm still stumped by the rear brake though. I've taken another picture with the caliper mounted; no part of the mounting bolt can get past the lip in the picture, so it's a few mm short of engaging with any threads at all. I can't see how a shorter bolt would help, as if it is the same diameter it will also not clear the lip (the various length bolts I have all appear to be the same diameter)

From this picture it seems like the main body of the bolt is supposed to go through the lip and meet the threaded end of the caliper. The purpose of the lip is therefore just to stop the head of the bolt pulling through.

So it seems the bolt I have is too large in diameter, which is what made me wonder it it's proprietary. If it is I'm hoping the seller still has it!

Alex

AJS914

by AJS914

I don't think it's proprietary. I just went through my parts bin and found one that fit. I bet that a quick trip to the local bike store would help. I'm sure they have a large bin of them.

Mockenrue

by Mockenrue

That's weird, I have several C59s all with Campag brakes and I've never had any sort of problem fitting them. Nor with any of my other Colnagos for that matter (although I remember my C40 being a tight fit as you have noted.) Is that definitely a Campag rear bolt you're trying to use? The ones I have aren't shiny like that, they're more of a matte/satin silver finish with a Torx head.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

DeRibble

by DeRibble

All sorted, that's a relief :D

Ground a little off the outside of the bolt with my trusty Dremel and in it goes. Don't know why I didn't think of this yesterday!

Thanks all :beerchug: