Anyone used Jtek Shiftmate?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

ctkrohn

by ctkrohn

Hi,

I greatly prefer Campy shifters, but have a little bit of a problem since my Powertap hub is Shimano. In the past, I got around the issue by using a Wheels Manufacturing conversion cassette with my Campy derailleur and shifter, but the cassette was slightly too wide for my hub, causing the lockring to occassionally slip off. I tried modifying a Shimano cassette using the Wheels Manufacturing spacers, but I wasn't able to get the shifting quite right.

I was thinking about fixing this by getting a Jtek Shiftmate (http://jtekengineering.com/shiftmate.htm). Has anyone used one of these? I'd be interested in Type #1, the one that lets you use Campy shifters and derailleurs with a Shimano cassette.

Any thoughts on this setup? How well does it shift? Buying a Powertap SL with a Campy cassette body is not an option...

RTW
in the industry

by RTW

A quick search of the site reveals a few people successfully using shift-mates. I've heard good things about them.

http://weightweenies.starbike.com/forum ... de=results

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

hamsterchick

by hamsterchick

Hello...

I've just recently installed a Jtek shiftmate model #3 on my CR1.

There are 4 various models to select concerning different requirements. I chose model#3 specifically for Campy 10 spd Record shifter to adopt to a 10 spd DA gruppo. Installed at the rear di.

Have done a total of 100km ride with this present set-up and find no issues at all but praises instead. Smooth shifting...period.

As I was weened with DA parts form the on-start,it took a while to get used to the Campy Record shifters and felt a bit unfamiliar and strange with them first. But eventually, everything went well excellently.

Saved around 70g from the change, like the clicking shifting and the shorter handgrip of the Record.

I believe this is an install & forget item with minimal maintenance at all.

bb46

by bb46

Actually the problem is the cassette body that Graber uses in the PTap. It is slightly shorter than a standard Shimano cassette body. It works fine with a Shimano cassette but not the conversion. This is the reason for example AM Classic says you can't use their conversion cassette with the PTap. You can change the cassette body with a stock Shimano one, and the Wheels Mfg. (or anything else) will work fine. But switching from the converted PTap to a Campy wheel is hard because the spacing of the entire cassette will still be off a bit, so sometimes you have to mess with the limit screws.

OK since I didn't answer your question above, here is a better answer. The lowest common denominator is your stock of wheels. If those are consistent you can make anything work with anything. So the JTek will work great with Shimano wheels, but is kind of a pain with mixed wheels. The same is true for conversion cassettes. Moral of the story is don't buy mixed wheels.

I have used the JTek in the past for the exact same reason as you and it worked great, with an additional bonus of being able to use Shimano wheels for neutral support. But I had a lot of Campy wheels, so this year I bought a SL and all is right with my world again.

andyrr

by andyrr

I've used one since last year for Campag Ergo / DA 10 rear mech and cassette and shifting is fine but ...
Using my 12-21 cassette the shift from 13 to 12 just doesn't want to happen with any pressure on the pedals so it's the 12 is as good as useless.
Also after I lubed the the cable and then gave my bike a test ride prior to the 1st race of this year I found that the cable had kinked slightly where it wraps around the jtek pulley wheel : I see this as a real issue as this is probably inevitable as it is such a tight run for the cable to make. May just be a case of replacing the cable a couple of times a year as opposed to once a year or 2.
The 13 - 12 shifting issue might result in me looking for an alternative inc going to the DA shifters if nothing else resolves it.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

ctkrohn

by ctkrohn

Thanks for the comments. You're right, I should have searched first. It sounds like the J-Tek is a reasonable option... I'll probably end up ordering it if I can't fix my problem by some other method.

I think I'm going to try taking apart my 10-speed Wheels Manufacturing cassette and reassembling it as a 9-speed... that should fit a little better on the hub. I don't use the 11-tooth cog all that often. Maybe my next bike will have a PTSL... too bad there's no Campy version of the PT Pro.