Alternative to CeramicSpeed?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Jenmoss

by Jenmoss

wheelsONfire wrote:
Sat Jan 20, 2018 1:59 pm
kode54 wrote:
Thu Jan 18, 2018 7:30 pm
have you tried these oversized pulleys?
No i have not. I'm not sure i would either.
Not sure i believe i would notice any benefit or change.
Only thing i have tried is ceramic bearings for BB.

Oh, last two season i've only used my gravel bike to.
BB is the only place where I have noticed a difference, the bearings are so small on a jockey wheel and then you have the cassette movement and chain friction and cranks .
Fibre lyte jockey wheels don't use bearings just a very clever design that means you jockey wheels have no bearings to slip off. That for me ( i run a single 53 chainring ) is a great idea

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

kode54

by kode54

wheelsONfire wrote:
Sat Jan 20, 2018 1:59 pm
kode54 wrote:
Thu Jan 18, 2018 7:30 pm
have you tried these oversized pulleys?
No i have not. I'm not sure i would either.
Not sure i believe i would notice any benefit or change.
Only thing i have tried is ceramic bearings for BB.

Oh, last two season i've only used my gravel bike to.
J&L on eBay is selling a replacement 12/14 oversized pulleys for the 9100/9150 RD. since the cage is longer than the 9070...maybe i'll try those just to see how they perform. i'll replace when the OEM ones get worn.

i'm surprised you're only riding the gravel nowadays. i have a friend that is only riding gravel on rides. he says its more comfy than regular road bike. plus, he said he likes the disc brakes.
- Factor Ostro VAM Disc
- Factor LS Disc
- Specialized Aethos Disc
- Sturdy Ti Allroad Disc
- Guru Praemio R Disc

wheelsONfire

by wheelsONfire

I'm not riding any other routes than my gravel bike routes. So the road bikes been parked for this reason.
I rode my road bike once in two seasons. But it felt a bit boring riding tarmac. Almost like a never ending straight line.
I think it's because it's much less active riding.
For tarmac, the vial evo is a much more snappy bike though.
It feels very quick on steering and much more prone to acceleration.
So if i went on road routes again, i would use the vial evo.

But yes, a gravel bike offers much more comfy ride feel.
Bikes:

Ax Lightness Vial EVO Race (2019.01.03)
Open *UP* (2016.04.14)
Paduano Racing Fidia (kind of shelved)

Ex bike; Vial EVO D, Vial EVO Ultra, Scott Foil, Paduano ti bike.

TonyM

by TonyM

wheelsONfire wrote:
Sun Jan 21, 2018 9:16 pm
I'm not riding any other routes than my gravel bike routes. So the road bikes been parked for this reason.
I rode my road bike once in two seasons. But it felt a bit boring riding tarmac. Almost like a never ending straight line.
I think it's because it's much less active riding.
For tarmac, the vial evo is a much more snappy bike though.
It feels very quick on steering and much more prone to acceleration.
So if i went on road routes again, i would use the vial evo.

But yes, a gravel bike offers much more comfy ride feel.
Wrong thread...... :noidea:

thencameyou

by thencameyou

kode54 wrote:
Sat Jan 20, 2018 9:23 pm

J&L on eBay is selling a replacement 12/14 oversized pulleys for the 9100/9150 RD. since the cage is longer than the 9070...maybe i'll try those just to see how they perform. i'll replace when the OEM ones get worn.
Has anyone tried these with a medium cage 6870 Di2 Ultegra rear derailleur?

wfcarrot

by wfcarrot

Token released their new pulley wheel system. They probably have a similar weight(around 70g) but Token is cheaper.
2018 Sworks Tarmac SL6 - 7.2kg
2017 Colnago C60 - 6.29kg

MAJ

by MAJ

TonyM wrote:Here some results from Friction facts published by CeramicSpeed on their derailleur pulleys and others brands (with names and values):

http://www.ceramicspeed.com/media/30628 ... -Small.pdf
https://www.fabreguesbicicletas.es/bici ... bXEALw_wcB

Best buy?
Very close to ceramicspeed at bargain price!

ChiZ01

by ChiZ01

bilwit wrote:
Thu Jan 18, 2018 11:01 pm
Jenmoss wrote:
Thu Jan 18, 2018 10:54 pm
Does anyone actually think about the cost of some of these jockey wheels . It’s a complete joke .
You are paying much money for something that would cost not much at all, and what about the real world riding effect these are going to give you . If your some high level TT rider maybe you may get some benefit on a perfect course but imo this is a typical example of cyclists getting ripped off and being stupid enough to think these expensive jockey wheels are going to make them better riders and go quicker..
That doesn't make sense. No one is forcing anyone to buy anything. In my case my stock jockey wheels took a beating from this winter so I just dropped the equivalent of a couple burritos and a beer for some extra bike bling. Sue me.

:noidea:

By that logic, every cycling enthusiast who ever spends money on the sport is "being ripped off" for anything they purchase for any and all reasons that item strikes their fancy because they don't need it and it won't make them push 400 watts up alpine mountains anyway.

not really, some upgrades are worth it and you will feel it, like going from 2000g wheelset to 1500g wheelset, expensive pulley wheels are not

sfo423

by sfo423

J&L has some ceramic bottom brackets: pretty cheap. I just installed a GXP crank with Italian thread BB. After torquing it it does not spin anywhere near as freely as my dura ace crank with Wheels Engineering press fit B.B.

The BB would be better roi than jockey wheels.

MAJ

by MAJ

sfo423 wrote:J&L has some ceramic bottom brackets: pretty cheap. I just installed a GXP crank with Italian thread BB. After torquing it it does not spin anywhere near as freely as my dura ace crank with Wheels Engineering press fit B.B.

The BB would be better roi than jockey wheels.
I have a pair of J&L jockey wheels ultralight in delrim material and bigger than originals that I am going to install on my new rear derailleur ultegra di2.

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre ... 2775941750

Originally I had bought them for my MTB put I don't consider they have a good sealing for the mud and dirty of the mtb.

For bottom bracket of my road bike I have ordered yesterday this one:

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre ... 3778884291

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

Bottom bracket bearings spin at 90rpm average. Pulley wheels spin almost 5x that rpm. The very best ceramic bottom bracket bearings save you a fraction of a fraction of a watt over the very best steel bearings.

If you were to change ALL the bearings used to propel you forward from steel to ceramic, you would save ~5w. This includes the BB, hubs, freehub, pulley wheels, pedal spindles and I’ll also include the chain. The lion’s share of the savings is in the chain and pulley wheels.

Attermann

by Attermann

thencameyou wrote:
Sun Mar 31, 2019 1:21 am
kode54 wrote:

I have tried them, they developed play really fast, I have now mounted some 12/15 KCNC, they work really well, but I really can’t feel a difference

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

Attermann wrote:
Sun Apr 21, 2019 11:40 am
thencameyou wrote:
Sun Mar 31, 2019 1:21 am
kode54 wrote:

I have tried them, they developed play really fast, I have now mounted some 12/15 KCNC, they work really well, but I really can’t feel a difference
The ~5W difference I mentioned is at a target of 250w and involves changing all the bearings out from good steel to good ceramics. Merely swapping the pulley wheels gives you somewhere between 1-2 watts at the 250w target. I doubt anyone can really feel 5w without additional references, let alone 1-2w

mattr

by mattr

TobinHatesYou wrote:
Sun Apr 21, 2019 5:33 pm
The ~5W difference I mentioned is at a target of 250w and involves changing all the bearings out from good steel to good ceramics. Merely swapping the pulley wheels gives you somewhere between 1-2 watts at the 250w target. I doubt anyone can really feel 5w without additional references, let alone 1-2w
From memory the threshold of human perception to changes of this type is about 10%, with some able to feel slightly less, so maybe 5% in some rare cases.

Most of the change you can "detect" will be in your head and wallet.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

g32ecs

by g32ecs

...or a clean chain/cogs 😉

If you bought these oversized jockeys you MUST have a clean drivetrain. Otherwise it negates this $500 investment.

Same with loose clothing on aero bikes, etc etc etc