The best height of spacers?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

TonyM

by TonyM

Slammed stem is always good BUT the length of the stem is very short...

A smaller size of the frame may have been better...even if then with a few spacer to get the adequate stack.

Priit

by Priit

IrrelevantD wrote:
Mon Jan 15, 2018 9:34 pm
Rule #45 // Slam your stem.

A maximum stack height of 2cm is allowed below the stem and a single 5mm spacer must always – always – be stacked above. A “slammed down” stack height is preferable; meaning that the stem is positioned directly on the top race of the headset.
Exactly. :) A maximum stack height of 2cm below the stem, i.e. upper headset top (dust) cover + spacers. E.g. for 15 mm headset cover max 5 mm spacer.
I think it's not aesthetically nice looking to use higher than 10 mm spacer, in case of must it's better idea to combine the higher headset top (dust) cover with 10 mm or less spacers.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

IrrelevantD

by IrrelevantD

Priit wrote:
Fri Jan 19, 2018 2:23 pm
IrrelevantD wrote:
Mon Jan 15, 2018 9:34 pm
Rule #45 // Slam your stem.

A maximum stack height of 2cm is allowed below the stem and a single 5mm spacer must always – always – be stacked above. A “slammed down” stack height is preferable; meaning that the stem is positioned directly on the top race of the headset.
Exactly. :) A maximum stack height of 2cm below the stem, i.e. upper headset top (dust) cover + spacers. E.g. for 15 mm headset cover max 5 mm spacer.
I think it's not aesthetically nice looking to use higher than 10 mm spacer, in case of must it's better idea to combine the higher headset top (dust) cover with 10 mm or less spacers.
Honestly, I’d rather use a -12 or -10° stem and have a little rise in the stem than use spacers below whenever possible, and chop the steerer tube properly (0 spacers above). But that’s just me.

What others due, I don’t care so long as you’re not running drop bars upside down.
* There is a 70% chance that what you have just read has a peppering of cynicism or sarcasm and generally should not be taken seriously.
I'll leave it up to you to figure out the other 30%. If you are in any way offended, that's on you.

TLN

by TLN

I wanted to put an aerofly on tarmac disc, and figured out that it will be pita to route sram red cables with it. What do you guys think about handlebar with rise? Spesh makes aerofly with 25mm rise (for Venge Vias and couple other bikes). Does it look out of place on Tarmac? Stem will be slammed, i.e. 5mm spacers above and below.
His: Orbea Orca OMX
Hers: Cannondale Synapse HM Disc

AJS914

by AJS914

The hot ticket is a 3mm spacer for above. 5mm looks a little chunky.

IrrelevantD

by IrrelevantD

TLN wrote:
Sat Jan 20, 2018 4:29 am
I wanted to put an aerofly on tarmac disc, and figured out that it will be pita to route sram red cables with it. What do you guys think about handlebar with rise? Spesh makes aerofly with 25mm rise (for Venge Vias and couple other bikes). Does it look out of place on Tarmac? Stem will be slammed, i.e. 5mm spacers above and below.
I don’t think it would look out of place, but I’d make sure the position is good both on the tops and the drops before dropping $$$.
* There is a 70% chance that what you have just read has a peppering of cynicism or sarcasm and generally should not be taken seriously.
I'll leave it up to you to figure out the other 30%. If you are in any way offended, that's on you.

avispa

by avispa

jlok wrote:
Tue Jan 16, 2018 8:41 am
Nice work.

A saddle rammed all the way forward to make a frame fit... yep, like some guy said, I don't get it. :beerchug:

mattr

by mattr

Depends why its rammed.

Short femurs, leg geometry, general flexibility, yeah, that's good.

So they can reach the slammed bars......... not so good.

TLN

by TLN

IrrelevantD wrote:
Sat Jan 20, 2018 4:25 pm
I don’t think it would look out of place, but I’d make sure the position is good both on the tops and the drops before dropping $$$.
It's 15mm(25mm rise), I can easily offset it with stem position. I might be the one who doesn't like position on the tops with aerofly, and with rise it will become even worse.

IrrelevantD

by IrrelevantD

TLN wrote:
Mon Jan 22, 2018 5:10 pm
It's 15mm(25mm rise), I can easily offset it with stem position. I might be the one who doesn't like position on the tops with aerofly, and with rise it will become even worse.
Yea, for me, I question how they measure the bend drop. They have it listed as 130mm, is that from the stem clamp or from the tops? The flat Aerofly's are listed as being the same 130mm X 80mm (drop/reach), so I suppose you could move the stem to adjust if it's measured from the tops making the rise kinda functionally pointless. If it's from the clamp, that would seem like a big difference going from the top or hoods to the drops.

Personally, I went with the Zipp SL70 Aero as I like the slightly shorter drop and reach (128mm x 70mm). The drops also flare out at 4º on the Zipp which I actually have come to like a lot.

TLN

by TLN

IrrelevantD wrote:
Mon Jan 22, 2018 7:17 pm
Yea, for me, I question how they measure the bend drop. They have it listed as 130mm, is that from the stem clamp or from the tops? The flat Aerofly's are listed as being the same 130mm X 80mm (drop/reach), so I suppose you could move the stem to adjust if it's measured from the tops making the rise kinda functionally pointless. If it's from the clamp, that would seem like a big difference going from the top or hoods to the drops.

Personally, I went with the Zipp SL70 Aero as I like the slightly shorter drop and reach (128mm x 70mm). The drops also flare out at 4º on the Zipp which I actually have come to like a lot.
I think it's from the tops. I.e bar with rise would be 15 (or 25)mm higher then one without a drop, while the rest of bar(reach/drop) would be the same. Why do you want to shape drops differently on what seems to be the same bar?

That rise is used on venge, where you'll need to redo half of bike to adjust position.
I've also realized that bar with rise seems to have bigger cable holes, compared to what I have. I have some issues with Sram RED: cables exit shifters in the same direction and I need to route both cables through inner hole.

IrrelevantD

by IrrelevantD

TLN wrote:
Mon Jan 22, 2018 7:29 pm
I think it's from the tops. I.e bar with rise would be 15 (or 25)mm higher then one without a drop, while the rest of bar(reach/drop) would be the same. Why do you want to shape drops differently on what seems to be the same bar?

That rise is used on venge, where you'll need to redo half of bike to adjust position.
I've also realized that bar with rise seems to have bigger cable holes, compared to what I have. I have some issues with Sram RED: cables exit shifters in the same direction and I need to route both cables through inner hole.
Ok, that makes much more sense when you think about the Venge ViAS and it's funky headset/stem. Interesting about the cable holes. Zipp being owned by SRAM now, from the reviews I've read, they sound like they work really well with SRAM cable routing. The holes are pretty sizable on mine. I run Di2, so not something I typically worry about.

themidge

by themidge

TonyM wrote:
Fri Jan 19, 2018 2:10 pm
What bars are those? Looks like a nice bend.

TonyM

by TonyM

themidge wrote:
TonyM wrote:
Fri Jan 19, 2018 2:10 pm
What bars are those? Looks like a nice bend.
Sorry I can’t help you as I just took this picture from a post above in this thread.
You may ask the one who originally posted the pic.

dmtevo

by dmtevo

I've not quite made it to slammed but getting there.... Frame is a 54

I've removed the spacer above now just 10mm or so remaining.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com