The best height of spacers?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

AJS914

by AJS914

fogman wrote:
Tue Jan 16, 2018 2:35 am
What about someone who has too large of a frame and is able to slam the stem, but is left with a short nubby seat post and like a 90 mm stem to make it fit?

I say it is okay to have 15-20 mm of spacers under the stem as long as the rest of the bicycle is in proportion and you are using at least a 110-120 mm stem. Also, you may compromise the handling of the bicycle if using a stem length of 100 mm or less with certain models.

That perfectly describes my C59 in size 52s with a 12cm stem. A 54s is a bit big but I could run it slammed. For, my next Colnago I could get a 52s H (longer headtube). I could run that without spacers but it would have more slope to the top tube which I generally don't like as much as Colnago's gently sloping top tube.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

4ibanez

by 4ibanez

Wookski wrote:
Tue Jan 16, 2018 11:00 am
Yes! although points deducted for the flaccid stem
Ha ha - dammit!! Still, name a lighter -17°, 12cm stem. I'll wait :lol:

Serious question, could the headtube angle and a slammed negative stem ever be incompatible because of clearance issues? I don't think it's likely the AX stem was made with that in mind but was a thought that occurred to me re the shape.

Wookski

by Wookski

4ibanez wrote:
Tue Jan 16, 2018 6:21 pm
Wookski wrote:
Tue Jan 16, 2018 11:00 am
Yes! although points deducted for the flaccid stem
Ha ha - dammit!! Still, name a lighter -17°, 12cm stem. I'll wait :lol:

Serious question, could the headtube angle and a slammed negative stem ever be incompatible because of clearance issues? I don't think it's likely the AX stem was made with that in mind but was a thought that occurred to me re the shape.
No, the AX shape is just due to a bad German joke! I’ll sell you a pair of AX ultra 25T’s and the 200g saved can go towards a more elegant stem (mcfk?).

In all seriousness- love your evo, the naked carbon makes it look like a science project! :beerchug:

sugarkane
in the industry

by sugarkane

fogman wrote:
Tue Jan 16, 2018 5:02 am
The main reason to slam your stem is to prevent people on the internet from criticizing photographs of your bicycle.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
too funny and pretty much on point.. other wise internet pests like Wookski will hang shit on your bike :lol:

ohh and wookski if you'd had me build your new spooky it would already be slammed :mrgreen:

Wookski

by Wookski

sugarkane wrote:
Wed Jan 17, 2018 1:49 am
fogman wrote:
Tue Jan 16, 2018 5:02 am
The main reason to slam your stem is to prevent people on the internet from criticizing photographs of your bicycle.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
too funny and pretty much on point.. other wise internet pests like Wookski will hang shit on your bike :lol:

ohh and wookski if you'd had me build your new spooky it would already be slammed :mrgreen:
Yeah you’re savage like that. Chop and slam before I get the opportunity to advise otherwise. It’s an effective approach to stop your customers from bitching out like I have recently.

sugarkane
in the industry

by sugarkane

Haha totally wookski I mean the only real metic worth a dam on this site is how good your bike looks in photos.. no one actually cares if you even ride and the only world champions that get around here are champion A holes :thumbup:

Wookski

by Wookski

sugarkane wrote:
Wed Jan 17, 2018 5:34 am
Haha totally wookski I mean the only real metic worth a dam on this site is how good your bike looks in photos.. no one actually cares if you even ride and the only world champions that get around here are champion A holes :thumbup:
Sounds like your kind of place!

RyanH

by RyanH

fogman wrote:What about someone who has too large of a frame and is able to slam the stem, but is left with a short nubby seat post and like a 90 mm stem to make it fit?
You mean like a certain Evo on this forum? Image

dudemanppl

by dudemanppl

Mr. H throwin' shade. Ironically the people we are making fun of seem to ride the least. :)

tonytourist

by tonytourist

RyanH wrote:
Wed Jan 17, 2018 6:45 am
fogman wrote:What about someone who has too large of a frame and is able to slam the stem, but is left with a short nubby seat post and like a 90 mm stem to make it fit?
:noidea: :noidea: :noidea:

IrrelevantD

by IrrelevantD

TonyM wrote:
Tue Jan 16, 2018 2:28 am
I actually dislike the rules from Velominati as they are quite a joke and mainly made for bikers outside the "traditional bike countries" such as France, Netherland, Belgium, Italy, Spain etc...BUT this time I have to agree with them saying that a ""slammed down” stack height is preferable; meaning that the stem is positioned directly on the top race of the headset".

However some biker may have to suffer a little with a slammed stem if their fitness is not the best. Usually not for old people also....
It was posted as a joke. If I'm ever quoting Velominati, I'm making a joke. My mantra is more like "what works best is whatever works for you".

That being said... I prefer a slammed stem whenever possible and will do so as long as I can do it with a stem rise of 12º or less (-5º on a 73º steerer tube). My Allez Sprint is slammed at 10º rise, whereas my Tarmac has achieved nearly magical perfectly horizontal (< 5º) due to the 10mm longer head tube.
* There is a 70% chance that what you have just read has a peppering of cynicism or sarcasm and generally should not be taken seriously.
I'll leave it up to you to figure out the other 30%. If you are in any way offended, that's on you.

Jenmoss

by Jenmoss

If you remember Ryder and his crazy drop . Small frame ,for him ,slammed and plenty of seatpost.
Does frame size matter so much when you have so many choices of bars ,stem, seatpost, it seems you can make most frames work ( most not all )

IrrelevantD

by IrrelevantD

Jenmoss wrote:
Thu Jan 18, 2018 10:10 am
If you remember Ryder and his crazy drop . Small frame ,for him ,slammed and plenty of seatpost.
Does frame size matter so much when you have so many choices of bars ,stem, seatpost, it seems you can make most frames work ( most not all )
Maybe some minor performance differences due to geometry. You see a lot of pros go with smaller frames to get lighter weight and a little stiffer bike, but for 99% of us, it’s not going to make a huge difference. We’re probably better off with a properly fit frame than trying to compensate with 130mm stems. Even though slammed -17° 130mm stems look pretty badass.
* There is a 70% chance that what you have just read has a peppering of cynicism or sarcasm and generally should not be taken seriously.
I'll leave it up to you to figure out the other 30%. If you are in any way offended, that's on you.

spdntrxi

by spdntrxi

tonytourist wrote:
Wed Jan 17, 2018 6:55 am
RyanH wrote:
Wed Jan 17, 2018 6:45 am
:noidea: :noidea: :noidea:
that evo looks fine to me.. my Parlee is similar.. Shorty stem and seat post... not sure I can slam just yet, but I'm slowly working on it.
2024 BMC TeamMachine R Building
2018 BMC TImeMachine Road
2002 Moots Compact-SL- getting aero look makeover
2019 Parlee Z0XD - "classified"
2023 Pivot E-Vault - completed project, full Xplr package

Jenmoss

by Jenmoss

That’s a decent drop , the clamp makes it look shorter .

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com