The best height of spacers?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

gewichtweenie

by gewichtweenie

Marin wrote:
Sun Jan 14, 2018 11:46 am
I prefer 10-15mm, I don't really like the look when the stem sits right on the headset.

Same. Aesthetically speaking, 0mm is ugly, as is negative rise relative to horizontal (a la adam hansen), or even with a deviation from parallel with top tube (e.g. strongly sloping TT and horizontal stem)

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Aya

by Aya

Hi, all. and Thanks for your comments. :)
But some buddies seem to a little bit misunderstand my intention.
My bike fitting is already done about an year ago. I placed 15mm spacers under the stem and 5mm spacer above the stem. and I don't have any thought to change that setting, because it fits me well.
I made this post, because I am just curious about your aesthetic criterion.
Well, as for my opinion, I don't like zero spacer below the stem. I like 5mm spacer above the stem, so for the balance, at least, I prefer 5mm or more spacers under the stem. Maybe 5~10mm looks the best, I think.
Anyway, thank you again, all of you. Maybe my original post might not have given enough explanation about my intention, cause I'm not good at English.
I hope I could return with some other useless(?) question, soon. HaHa~ :)
Last edited by Aya on Tue Jan 16, 2018 1:57 am, edited 2 times in total.

gewichtweenie

by gewichtweenie

a little nub above the stem is okay. it mirrors the space below.

this applies to most stem with traditional styling. it doesnt make sense e.g. on enve stem. but generally those are ugly anyway

Jenmoss

by Jenmoss

donald wrote:
Mon Jan 15, 2018 1:14 am
Many frames of the same size have different head tube sizes. One 54 cm frame can have a head tube of 125 mm., another 54 could have a 150 mm. head tube. This can affect what is the best fit/spacers for a particular person.
Both my bikes are similar size but angles Of tubes are different.
So on one bike I slam a - 12 ,130 on the other which has the shorter head tube I slam -17 ,130,

mattr

by mattr

Cemicar wrote:
Sun Jan 14, 2018 2:31 pm
While I'd second having 0 spacer being the best, you actually have to insert at least one 5mm spacer between your headset and stem. I don't remember the rationale (too much preload onto the head cap or such), but that's what pretty much today's most bike manufacturers say.
IIRC it was stated that it was to reduce the load on the top bearing when the steerer flexes. Rather than having the rigid stem mashing the top bearing, you at least had a bit of shaft to do the wobbling.

Not sure on the physics, as i've never looked into it, as i have ~10mm on my made to measure frame.

gewichtweenie

by gewichtweenie

from TDU

good (also the best frame and livery. shame about the spider...)

slammed... looks squished together

velomigucchi wet dream.. s-works...slammed...negative.... uglier than a baboon's behind

pdlpsher1

by pdlpsher1

Can't help but notice the old style Di2 external junction box. Why aren't they using the handlebar junction box?

IrrelevantD

by IrrelevantD

Rule #45 // Slam your stem.

A maximum stack height of 2cm is allowed below the stem and a single 5mm spacer must always – always – be stacked above. A “slammed down” stack height is preferable; meaning that the stem is positioned directly on the top race of the headset.

All questions can be answered here. If it can't, it's not worth asking. :lol:
* There is a 70% chance that what you have just read has a peppering of cynicism or sarcasm and generally should not be taken seriously.
I'll leave it up to you to figure out the other 30%. If you are in any way offended, that's on you.

RussellS

by RussellS

For aesthetics, I am 1 cm spacer below between the stem and headset. And either 0 or 5mm above the stem. Of course I use 1 or 2 or 3 cm below the stem on my bikes and 1 or 2 cm above the stem.

mattr

by mattr

pdlpsher1 wrote:
Mon Jan 15, 2018 8:43 pm
Can't help but notice the old style Di2 external junction box. Why aren't they using the handlebar junction box?
Access? Availability? Serviceability?

Lewn777

by Lewn777

Four correct answers:

-Slammed below and nothing above (but could be tough on the steerer long term).
-Slammed below and 5mm above
-10mm below and 5mm above.
-Whatever fits the rider best.

TonyM

by TonyM

IrrelevantD wrote:
Mon Jan 15, 2018 9:34 pm
Rule #45 // Slam your stem.

A maximum stack height of 2cm is allowed below the stem and a single 5mm spacer must always – always – be stacked above. A “slammed down” stack height is preferable; meaning that the stem is positioned directly on the top race of the headset.

All questions can be answered here. If it can't, it's not worth asking. :lol:
I actually dislike the rules from Velominati as they are quite a joke and mainly made for bikers outside the "traditional bike countries" such as France, Netherland, Belgium, Italy, Spain etc...BUT this time I have to agree with them saying that a ""slammed down” stack height is preferable; meaning that the stem is positioned directly on the top race of the headset".

However some biker may have to suffer a little with a slammed stem if their fitness is not the best. Usually not for old people also....

TonyM

by TonyM

pdlpsher1 wrote:
Mon Jan 15, 2018 8:43 pm
I noticed that also :noidea:

Do they want to save cost :mrgreen: or is it better in terms of service?? :noidea:
Definitely not what Shimano would like to see I suppose....

fogman

by fogman

What about someone who has too large of a frame and is able to slam the stem, but is left with a short nubby seat post and like a 90 mm stem to make it fit?

I say it is okay to have 15-20 mm of spacers under the stem as long as the rest of the bicycle is in proportion and you are using at least a 110-120 mm stem. Also, you may compromise the handling of the bicycle if using a stem length of 100 mm or less with certain models.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
It's all downhill from here, except for the uphills.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

TonyM

by TonyM

fogman wrote:
Tue Jan 16, 2018 2:35 am
What about someone who has too large of a frame and is able to slam the stem, but is left with a short nubby seat post and like a 90 mm stem to make it fit?

I say it is okay to have 15-20 mm of spacers under the stem as long as the rest of the bicycle is in proportion and you are using at least a 110-120 mm stem. Also, you may compromise the handling of the bicycle if using a stem length of 100 mm or less with certain models.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RIGHT! Totaly agree

The best (in terms of aesthetics): a slammed stem AND a long stem.

Nothing is more ugly than a short stem or a stem with some spacers or both! :twisted: