Rim width for gravel revisited, advice needed.

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

simplemind

by simplemind

I'm in a conundrum. Going to a 650b wheelset to get some of the advantages of a wider tire for strictly gravel use and found two wheelsets that fit the bill (and budget). One is i19 the other i24. It's likely that I'd be running something like a Gravel King 48 or similar tire. My frame currently accommodates a 700c 43mm.
I know that the i19 would work with the 48mm tire. Per ETRTO standards a 19mm internal rim can be used with 28mm to 62mm (2.4") tires safely. However I don't know if there would be any benefits (or negatives) going to the wider i24 rim. There has to be some law of diminishing return as you go up in width. Just need some education.
Last edited by simplemind on Sun Jan 14, 2018 5:55 am, edited 2 times in total.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

CarlosFerreiro

by CarlosFerreiro

Have you seen this one? I know that this one is for 700c, but maybe still some points to consider.
http://ridinggravel.com/components/proj ... ckpoint-2/

Marin

by Marin

I'm riding 650b Gravelking SK 48s on 19mm internal Pacenti Brevet rims and they work really well, even down to 1.8 bar (tubeless). They come out to a true 48mm, so they'd grow on a wider rim.

simplemind

by simplemind

CarlosFerreiro wrote:
Sat Jan 13, 2018 6:09 pm
Have you seen this one? I know that this one is for 700c, but maybe still some points to consider.
http://ridinggravel.com/components/proj ... ckpoint-2/
Yes, read that several times. I think he needs to complete the project. Thanks!

simplemind

by simplemind

Marin wrote:
Sat Jan 13, 2018 7:01 pm
I'm riding 650b Gravelking SK 48s on 19mm internal Pacenti Brevet rims and they work really well, even down to 1.8 bar (tubeless). They come out to a true 48mm, so they'd grow on a wider rim.
So, do you see any advantage/reason to go wider (rim)?

Also, maybe it would be cool to find what the tire manufacturers actually design their tires to, width wise. In the MTB world, we're seeing more tires designed for wider rims.

morganb

by morganb

Wider rim should give the tire better support and have less squirm/roll. Most of the gravel tires, despite mountain bike rims being narrower than this only a few years ago, seem to be designed around ~23mm internal. That's what I went with (Kinlin TL23 with Compass Babyshoe 650x42mm) and I've been super happy with it and able to comfortably run 30psi. You will probably want to run slightly higher pressures if you go with a narrower internal width.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

jemima

by jemima

You'd be fine on the i19 with 48mm. As mentioned, the i24 would spread out the tyre. Not sure about the ride quality difference though.

Currently have an i20 with 48mm. Does the job.

Will be getting some 42mm tyres soon. Been looking at the Newmen SL (i25) rim. Wonder if that's overkill.
Curve Grovel ti.