Colnago C64 First Look

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

r4nd0mv4r14bl3

by r4nd0mv4r14bl3

SuperDomestique wrote:
Mon Feb 19, 2018 4:36 pm
Can't say I've ever had issues fitting the smaller Colnago frames to really think about it before so in that respect is it an issue? For me, no.

I'm mainly fixating on the saddle clamp and handlebar X and Y range available than the frame S/R.

Certainly slack seat angles on small frames cause me more grief.
Please forgive the off-topic, but since we are talking about sizes now, maybe you can give a bit of advice on how a recreational rider should think about Colnago frame sizes, especially the sizing down question. I am 183cm tall, 87cm inseam, regular proportions but relatively long hands, not so flexible (can't touch my toes on a regular day but get close). The bike I am riding now has quite a relaxed geo:

Bar x = 476
Bar y = 650
555mm ETT
73.5 degree STA
Saddle height is 780mm BB to top. Handlebar position is with 20mm of spacers/headset below the 110mm stem. Not a racing setup for sure; I guess I could try to develop a slightly more aggressive position, i.e. getting longer or/and lower.

So my options that I see in the Colnago world:

1) 54s would be (with the same spacer/stem setup):
Bar x = 480
Bar y = 644
565mm ETT
72.8 degrees STA

Thus, 54s would be longer in the front and back. The slacker STA means I should reduce saddle setback by about 9mm to keep the saddle position. I guess the bike would feel slightly longer than the current one because of the +10mm ETT; not sure if this is a good thing or not.

2) 52s would be (with the same spacer/stem setup):
Bar x = 479
Bar y = 628
550mm ETT
73.6 degrees STA

So 52s would put my front end 22mm lower with the same spacer/headset setup than my current bike. To get to my current position, in total 42mm of spacers/headset setup would be necessary, which would not be much of a looker, but would also reduce the “Bar x” to 472. The saddle setback would not need to be changed since the STA is almost the same.

Am I right thinking that, in terms of a fitting problem, adjusting -20mm bar height would cause more issues, compared to adjusting to 10mm longer effective top tube, of which only 4mm is in the front? What would be the drawbacks of a longer frame?

Sorry for a lengthy post.

PS. I know that there is also 52H, which has the reach of 52s and the stack of 54s, but the proportions of the frame are not to my liking TBH.

SuperDomestique

by SuperDomestique

I'll email you

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

AJS914

by AJS914

I'm also 183cm and I ride a 52S with 1.5cm of spacers. I straddled a 54S and it just felt a bit big. Of course, I know I could make the same position on a 54S as the reach is very similar.

For you, I'd get the 54S. I wouldn't go for a 52S and then put 4cm of spacers on it. Or work on improving your flexibility and lowering the stem on your current bike.

The other option is to get a 52H. The H models have a 2cm longer head tube.

corky

by corky

Mapei paint....... pics sourced from SIGMASPORTS.COM
Attachments
9EA10466-F5D8-4F68-800F-23B56EE2A202.jpeg
B5799260-E85C-48FB-A021-FE863DD32F61.jpeg
426BB5FF-663C-4387-A5FD-47CC02C8CAFA.jpeg

ODC

by ODC

When are the framesets going to be available in size 56s (rim brake)?

mike
Resident Pro

by mike

wow. that mapei looks fabulous and much different from prior years. looks much better. is that going to be offered or is it just a one off gift to mapei.

karmaz

by karmaz

mike wrote:
Wed Feb 21, 2018 3:44 pm
wow. that mapei looks fabulous and much different from prior years. looks much better. is that going to be offered or is it just a one off gift to mapei.
Supposedly a one-off, but I really hope they bring it out at some point.

mike
Resident Pro

by mike

i will hold off on the c64 until i am sure that mapei is not being painted.

mag

by mag

That Mapei paintjob was really just a one-off for the Mapei president: https://www.instagram.com/p/BfabksWBmo- ... lnagoworld
Davide Fumagalli (Colnago engineer) said in one Italian forum that there will be no more paintjob variants this year. However as he isn't responsible for that himself he isn't absolutely sure about it so there may be some chance.

nickstea

by nickstea

mag wrote:
Wed Feb 21, 2018 4:15 pm
That Mapei paintjob was really just a one-off for the Mapei president: https://www.instagram.com/p/BfabksWBmo- ... lnagoworld
Davide Fumagalli (Colnago engineer) said in one Italian forum that there will be no more paintjob variants this year. However as he isn't responsible for that himself he isn't absolutely sure about it so there may be some chance.
I was under the impression that you could get any custom color you want when you order from the factory. Anyone know if that’s true?

mag

by mag

^ Usually yes, but it isn't possible with C64 yet.

mike
Resident Pro

by mike

i am going sit this one out. i have a feeling mapei is coming but maybe a year from now......

nickstea

by nickstea

AJS914 wrote:I'm also 183cm and I ride a 52S with 1.5cm of spacers. I straddled a 54S and it just felt a bit big. Of course, I know I could make the same position on a 54S as the reach is very similar.

For you, I'd get the 54S. I wouldn't go for a 52S and then put 4cm of spacers on it. Or work on improving your flexibility and lowering the stem on your current bike.

Sorry for the off topic post... but does anyone here on the forums have the “h” sizing on either their c60 or c64?

I understand that the head tube is 2 cm longer. If I use 2cm of spacers, is there any reason not to get the longer head tube? Any downsides to the “h” sizing?

PS - I’m 170 cm and have a 70 cm inseam and ride a c60 48s with 2.5cm of spacers

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

r4nd0mv4r14bl3

by r4nd0mv4r14bl3

AJS914 wrote:
Mon Feb 19, 2018 8:31 pm
I'm also 183cm and I ride a 52S with 1.5cm of spacers. I straddled a 54S and it just felt a bit big. Of course, I know I could make the same position on a 54S as the reach is very similar.

Hi. Thanks for your comment. I am leaning towards 54s myself as well. I tried drawing 54s, 52s and 52h against my current settings (seat position, stem and spacers) using Bikecad. Will try to embed a gif here (black is my current frame, blue is 54s, red is 52s and purple 52h).

Looking only at numbers, 52h would probably offer closest to my current bike. However, I am not exactly a fan of increased TT slope and compared to the 54s the frame would not be so well proportioned. So I am toying with an idea about getting a bit longer frame (54s) and in the best case scenario will get used to a more stretched out position. In the worst case I would have to opt for a 100mm stem and 0-setback seatpost. The only question is, will the 10mm longer frame feel sluggish? Or perhaps, I would appreciate more stability that comes with that? I guess one will not know before trying.

Anyway, thanks for the comments and sorry for the detour from the main topic.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

AJS914

by AJS914

Why is your saddle setback changing? You can't compare three frames with the seat changing. Maybe you need to work with a fitter so you can figure out your ultimate fit on your current bike before you spend big $$$ on a new C64?