Colnago C64 First Look

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

moonoi

by moonoi

chunky666 wrote:
SuperDomestique wrote:
Thu Mar 15, 2018 2:35 pm
Also told end of year for integrated disc frames.

There is never a firm date with Colnago though, only vague suggestions! Image

Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose. Frustrating for the customer....
Try ordering something a little different and it's even worse!

Art decor Concept Disc currently at 16 weeks. Had 2 delivery dates been and gone and now just been given another date of 'Frame due back from painters this week then 14 days for delivery'.

Not holding out much hope but I can but cross my fingers! Hopefully now the importer has lent me there demo bike to use till it turns up they will hurry up as i'm holding it to ransom!! lol
Sounds the same as what I've been told, same frame/version I went for CHDW back in Dec 2017...still waiting, not holding my breath for it though...

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

KotP

by KotP

I forgot to update the post about Aru's C64...

Drive side:

It does have team sponsors on the stays, drive side only I guess.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Jitensha

by Jitensha

I am thinking about purchasing a Colnago C64 but am deciding between the rim brake and integrated disc versions. Realizing that the industry is sadly headed towards disc brakes, I am having second thoughts about the rim brake version-- this matters because I intend to keep the C64 for 5+ years. I wish Colnago had included disc mouts on rim brake version so the owner could have both options. If you were to purchase the C64, which version would you pick; rim or integrated disc brake?

Would love to see how people vote.

TonyM

by TonyM

It really depends if you ride on wet/ rainy days and/or in a very hilly region. For these kind of rides I would go for disc. Otherwise go for rims (I have rim and disc brake road bikes). The disc brake version add 400-500g and the handling is a little bit more sluggish.

guyc

by guyc

What Tony said.

Also the way the industry is moving isn't really a factor. The rim version won't suddenly stop working. If you're keeping the bike that long buy the right one for you rather than some idea of what the industry thinks.

Zakalwe

by Zakalwe

The industry won’t move that way if people continue to buy rims brakes, don’t let the marketers win. They’ll only try to sell you rim brakes again once the disc market saturates

Cemicar

by Cemicar

Jitensha wrote:
Thu May 03, 2018 4:51 am
I wish Colnago had included disc mouts on rim brake version so the owner could have both options. If you were to purchase the C64, which version would you pick; rim or integrated disc brake?
A good disc-brake bike should be more than a rim-brake bike with dedicated mounts. At least the folk and chain stays should be different (typically heavy yet stiff enough to sustain the stopping power, which sometimes costs comfort). I'm pretty sure manufactures like Trek, Specialized, Giant and other big companies have spent so much money in research and development in this area.

scb

by scb

Latest update from local US LBS on delivery date for disc brake version with all internal routings--November. I've got current access to an Art Decor blue without all internal routings now but am leaning toward waiting to see what (hopefully) happens with EPS by then.

AJS914

by AJS914

Cemicar wrote:
Thu May 03, 2018 9:15 am
Jitensha wrote:
Thu May 03, 2018 4:51 am
I wish Colnago had included disc mouts on rim brake version so the owner could have both options.
A good disc-brake bike should be more than a rim-brake bike with dedicated mounts.

A disc brake frame will also be thru-axel and spaced out farther in the rear. You couldn't just have disc mounts on a rim brake bike. If you buy disc today, you are committing to whatever thru-axel standard it uses and that could change as the industry moves in the disc direction.

For a 5+ year time frame I would just buy whatever you like. You can still find parts for a 40 year Campagnolo 5 speed bike on ebay so there's no need to worry about a rim brake bike bought in 2018. Parts will still be available for years and years.

TonyM

by TonyM

AJS914 wrote:
For a 5+ year time frame I would just buy whatever you like. You can still find parts for a 40 year Campagnolo 5 speed bike on ebay so there's no need to worry about a rim brake bike bought in 2018. Parts will still be available for years and years.
However after 10 years or more, the parts sold on ebay etc.... are usually used parts and also quite expensive, like oldtimer/ vintage pricing....(my experience when I needed some parts for my first gen of the 8 speed Dura Ace STi)

AJS914

by AJS914

Sure, but there's not a lot of reason to stick with 8 speed unless it's for sentimental reasons as you can fit new 11 speed to frames built 25 years ago with a 130mm rear spacing.

Like I said, if you buy disc today you could be stuck with a thruaxel standard that doesn't exist in 10 years.

My Crux disc has a 135mm quick release rear end. Right now, there's no problem finding hubs but it could be an issue in 10 years. Maybe I should buy a spare rear hub!

guyc

by guyc

scb wrote:
Fri May 11, 2018 6:47 pm
Latest update from local US LBS on delivery date for disc brake version with all internal routings--November. I've got current access to an Art Decor blue without all internal routings now but am leaning toward waiting to see what (hopefully) happens with EPS by then.

I'd wait.

TonyM

by TonyM

AJS914 wrote:Sure, but there's not a lot of reason to stick with 8 speed unless it's for sentimental reasons as you can fit new 11 speed to frames built 25 years ago with a 130mm rear spacing.
You are 100% right!
I had some newer 11 speed wheels on my 25 y.o. Colnago Dream (aluminum) until last winter. Now on my home trainer. The 8 speed doesn’t wear as fast as the 11 speed also. Good for the home trainer.

c60rider

by c60rider

TonyM wrote:
Fri May 11, 2018 10:00 pm
AJS914 wrote:
However after 10 years or more, the parts sold on ebay etc.... are usually used parts and also quite expensive, like oldtimer/ vintage pricing....(my experience when I needed some parts for my first gen of the 8 speed Dura Ace STi)
Spares for original super record 11 speed from 2009 that I own are still readily available as I required a right hand shifter unit for a bike earlier this year and had no trouble buying one. It was essential to get an SR as it has the inner shift lever with carbon detailing unlike the record one. And with the latest 12 speed brake calipers fully compatible with 11 speed levers there's going to be no problems getting spares for years to come.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Jitensha

by Jitensha

The thru-axle is a very valid consideration and I admittedly overlooked it. Although Colnago's bet on the 12mm thru-axle standard is probably correct, having to deal with wheels and changing axle standards over the next 5 years is worrysome. Suprisingly the overhwleming majority of people I've spoken to prefer the disc version of the C64. I personally feel the rim brake version looks better and is a lot less hassle.

Still would love to hear more arguements for or against the direct mount rim brake vs. integrated disc as it relates specifically to the C64 (e.g. Good points were made about the thru-axle and resale value). I'm not interested in a general conversation about rim brakes vs. disc brakes because there are other threads.
Last edited by Jitensha on Sat May 12, 2018 2:53 am, edited 1 time in total.