Comparing weights: new generation shimano cranks vs previous

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

alcatraz

by alcatraz

Hi WWs

I'm trying to find a light and relatively affordable 24mm crank to put on a trek.

Shimano specifies 609gr (50/34) and 621gr (53/39) for the new dura ace 9100 cranks.

I'd like to know if this is accurate. Also does anyone know if any of this 50-60gr weight saving is in the chainrings?

Are 9000 rings compatible with 9100?

Because I'd like to put a power meter on the bike in the future and because double sided meters often require quite heavy crank spider designs I'm looking into a left sided only type.

Whats the lightest 24mm power meter crank out there that is not ridiculously expensive? Seems putting strain gauges on carbon arms is an expensive and complicated process that one should avoid if one wants to save some $$. If no power meter I would get a sram red gxp crank but for power meter I'd have to get a dura ace crank since it's easily available 24mm and hollow alloy which allows for easy strain gauge mounting left side only power meter.

Any thoughts? Thank you for reading...

/a

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

pdlpsher1

by pdlpsher1

The 9000 and 9100 cranks take any size chainrings. This is done so that the cranks are no longer specific to a certain BCD. So the weight differences between the compact and non-compact cranksets are purely in the rings.

9000 and 9100 rings are not interchangeable. If you have a 9100 crank you must use 9100 rings.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TurboKoo

by TurboKoo

With those specs I’d buy Shimano 9100-P
Cannondale SuperSix
Shimano 9270

Marin

by Marin

With those specs I'd buy a Sram Red with light chainrings and put on a Stages Rival left arm. Actually, that's exactly what I've done ;D

I'm pretty sure this setup will be lighter than a DA setup.

alcatraz

by alcatraz

Good idea Marin

Jhomewood

by Jhomewood

Marin wrote:
Wed Jan 10, 2018 9:15 am
With those specs I'd buy a Sram Red with light chainrings and put on a Stages Rival left arm. Actually, that's exactly what I've done ;D

I'm pretty sure this setup will be lighter than a DA setup.
:roll:

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com