Quarq DZero Carbon vs Red

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Hapsmo911

by Hapsmo911

Are these two models the same, less the graphics on the arms?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

jlok

by jlok

same... and until recently I didnt realize that the spider could be realigned to accomodate non-hidden bolt chainrings for the Red model...
Rikulau V9 DB Custom < BMC TM02 < Litespeed T1sl Disc < Giant Propel Advanced SL Disc 1 < Propel Adv < TCR Adv SL Disc < KTM Revelator Sky < CAAD 12 Disc < Domane S Disc < Alize < CAAD 10

silvalis

by silvalis

Oh thats handy to know. You just undo the 8 torx screws and rotate it a bit?
Chasse patate

dudemanppl

by dudemanppl

Incorrect, you can NOT rotate the spider to make it non hidden bolt. They are different splines.

Hapsmo911

by Hapsmo911

Thanks, I think I will just order the Quarq branded version then.

jlok

by jlok

thanks dudemanppl for correcting.
Rikulau V9 DB Custom < BMC TM02 < Litespeed T1sl Disc < Giant Propel Advanced SL Disc 1 < Propel Adv < TCR Adv SL Disc < KTM Revelator Sky < CAAD 12 Disc < Domane S Disc < Alize < CAAD 10

Kumppa

by Kumppa

Can you use any type of chainrings with Red model expect Q-rings without dremeling? Or is that spider working same way than Red exogram chainset, you can use any type of chainring but then chainring pin isn't in right place behind the crankarm?

I have been thinking to get dzero but can't decide which one. Non-hidden bolt one would be smart choise, but Red one would be little cheaper and would look better with Red groupset. Right now I have set of Rotor nonQ and Praxis chainrings but maybe going back to Rotor oval or Red chainrings in a future (Sram Red x-glide chainrings works on both model).

silvalis

by silvalis

Check your praxis rings - it looks like current versions come with two pin positions so you can use them on HB or NHB. Ditto with force or red rings (there is a black plug in the NHB position)
Chasse patate

glepore

by glepore

dudemanppl wrote:
Mon Jan 08, 2018 3:47 am
Incorrect, you can NOT rotate the spider to make it non hidden bolt. They are different splines.
Yes, and no. Dzero and prime use a spline with 8 torx bolts, cranks that are not "prime"-ie force 22 and the 950 etc use the old 3 bolt interface. However, page 13 of the installation manual for dzero allows for rotation of the dzero on a prime spline for "non hidden bolt" cranks, which I presume would also allow you to use non-hidden bolt rings on the more recent crankarms. But dudemanppl is correct that the non hidden bolt cranks of yore-prior quarq crankarms and current and prior force, use a different spline than the dzero onfiguration.

Sram crank configurations are almost as confusing as headset "standards".
Cysco Ti custom Campy SR mechanical (6.9);Berk custom (5.6); Serotta Ottrott(6.8) ; Anvil Custom steel Etap;1996 Colnago Technos Record

Chans1ee

by Chans1ee

Dzero red has only one option - hidden bolt.
Dzero carbon- you can choose hidden bolt/nonhidden bolt option.
That is difference.

silvalis

by silvalis

glepore wrote:
Mon Jan 08, 2018 2:32 pm
dudemanppl wrote:
Mon Jan 08, 2018 3:47 am
Yes, and no. Dzero and prime use a spline with 8 torx bolts, cranks that are not "prime"-ie force 22 and the 950 etc use the old 3 bolt interface. However, page 13 of the installation manual for dzero allows for rotation of the dzero on a prime spline for "non hidden bolt" cranks, which I presume would also allow you to use non-hidden bolt rings on the more recent crankarms. But dudemanppl is correct that the non hidden bolt cranks of yore-prior quarq crankarms and current and prior force, use a different spline than the dzero onfiguration.

Sram crank configurations are almost as confusing as headset "standards".
so jlok is correct? I could buy a Dzero HB, stick some force22 rings on and then at a later date rotate the spider and stick some praxis rings on?
Chasse patate

glepore

by glepore

https://www.quarq.com/wp-content/upload ... -Rev-B.pdf

Page 13.

I"ve not actually seen one but assume that the red bolts into the crankarm and lacks the fifth spider arm. The normal dzero doesn't.
Cysco Ti custom Campy SR mechanical (6.9);Berk custom (5.6); Serotta Ottrott(6.8) ; Anvil Custom steel Etap;1996 Colnago Technos Record

dudemanppl

by dudemanppl

Disregard the information above. I own 4 DZeros and have owned 4-5 Quarq Elsas. The hidden bolt and non hidden bolt spiders are not the same spline pattern.

jlok

by jlok

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Kumppa

by Kumppa

Anyone know is there any weight difference between BB30 and GXP model Dzero? Can't find any info about this and Sram site is only list GXP weight 578/559g for BCD130/110. For normal Red crankset Sram is listing 52g weight difference, BB30 557g / GXP 609g.

Going C-bear bottom bracket to stop creaking BB and I was thinking how much weight difference there would be. BB30-gxp bottom bracket is 50€ cheaper and GXP dzero would be smart choice if changing frame in a future. Probably there is little bit weight difference between BB's (didn't get answer from C-bear about weights) but I can live with it but 50g weight difference between crankset could change mind.
Last edited by Kumppa on Sat Jan 20, 2018 12:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.