Di2 Internal Option

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

IrrelevantD

by IrrelevantD

lord_brush wrote:
Sun Jan 07, 2018 8:58 pm
Thanks. Is the rubber steerer tube battery sheath thing any different to the seatpost one I already have?
Didn't realize you already had the battery in the seat post. I'd leave it there.

Regarding what trex021 said about the the Bluetooth/ANT+, I have mine hidden inside the downtube of my Allez Sprint. If it works from inside an aluminum frame, I'd put down money that you could put it just about anywhere.
* There is a 70% chance that what you have just read has a peppering of cynicism or sarcasm and generally should not be taken seriously.
I'll leave it up to you to figure out the other 30%. If you are in any way offended, that's on you.

pdlpsher1

by pdlpsher1

ooo wrote:No, it is only for sprint shifter
Yes. I tried plugging my climbing shifters into the third and last port. It didn’t work.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

lord_brush

by lord_brush

Having just received my Pro Vibe (alloy), bars what annoys me is why the hell don’t they drill holes in the bend just above where the shifter ports will be??? They do for the Vibe carbon, and the aero variations, but not for the alloy? There’s a hole at the bar ends where they expect you to run the bar end junction wires outside of the bar up to the shifter etc. This also means I will have to run the shifter-to-shifter wire externally under the tape, along with both brake cables. There aren’t even any recessed grooves. Only way to avoid the external wiring from the bar end jctn is to use the Gap Cap option afterall. Annoying…
The right to bear arms is slightly less ludicrous than the right to arm bears. (Chris Addison)

ooo

by ooo

@lord_brush about holes in alloy vibe:
viewtopic.php?t=142456&start=135#p1323539
'

lord_brush

by lord_brush

Cheers. But wow, why would they omit the holes in the first place?!

So, no harm in drilling a couple of holes then?
The right to bear arms is slightly less ludicrous than the right to arm bears. (Chris Addison)

pdlpsher1

by pdlpsher1

lord_brush wrote:
Thu Jan 11, 2018 2:37 pm
Having just received my Pro Vibe (alloy), bars what annoys me is why the hell don’t they drill holes in the bend just above where the shifter ports will be??? They do for the Vibe carbon, and the aero variations, but not for the alloy? There’s a hole at the bar ends where they expect you to run the bar end junction wires outside of the bar up to the shifter etc. This also means I will have to run the shifter-to-shifter wire externally under the tape, along with both brake cables. There aren’t even any recessed grooves. Only way to avoid the external wiring from the bar end jctn is to use the Gap Cap option afterall. Annoying…
I do see a groove for external brake cables. As for the Di2 wiring, just drill two small 3mm holes just above the shifter ports. Run your long Di2 cable along with your brake cable to one of the shifters. Then use your newly drilled holes to run one cable connecting both shifters. Then use the newly drilled hole for connecting one shifter to the bar end junction. Yeah, I agree the factory drilled holes are at the wrong locations.

dricked

by dricked

I used the same bars, to go from shifter to shifter I just ran the wires down to the lower hole and across through the inside. I was annoyed to see there weren’t holes on the top but if you can just drill some that’s the way to go! Didn’t know if it would compromise the bar or not so I played safe.

lord_brush

by lord_brush

Effectively, I could've saved myself £20-30 and just bought the old bar and drilled those 🙄

pdlpsher1

by pdlpsher1

Can you return the bar and exchange for the older version and get some money back? For my new build I didn't want to spend money and buy the latest Di2 compatible bars. So I just drilled two holes on my 3T Ergonova Team bars. A small hole wouldn't compromise the strength that much. I have holes on all of my bikes and they are holding up just fine. I don't sprint anyways so I'm only putting on a few pounds of pressure on the bars.

dricked

by dricked

lord_brush wrote:
Thu Jan 11, 2018 3:40 pm
Effectively, I could've saved myself £20-30 and just bought the old bar and drilled those 🙄
I’ve got a 100mm vibe stem that I mounted and put back in the bag after deciding the seatpost was easier. Don’t feel too bad lol.

lord_brush

by lord_brush

I'm giving some thought to just sticking the normal 3 port box under the bloody stem 🙈

ooo

by ooo

you can also hide junction and ant/bt module it under saddle, if your seatpost have a hole

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=127793
Attachments
mark cavendish spec venge tdf 2015
mark cavendish spec venge tdf 2015
simon gerrans scott plasma 5
simon gerrans scott plasma 5
'

lord_brush

by lord_brush

Does the newer D-Fly inline transmitter work with 9070 (with BT internal battery)?

ooo

by ooo

Old D-Fly was single radio model (private D-Fly ANT+ protocol)
Newer D-Fly units have dual radio - D-Fly(ANT+) and Bluetooth(LE)

With old internal batter (SM-BTR2) dual radio unit cannot use any radio (no D-Fly, no BT)
With new internal battery (BT-DN110) dual radio unit works.
'

pdlpsher1

by pdlpsher1

lord_brush wrote:I'm giving some thought to just sticking the normal 3 port box under the bloody stem Image
Don’t! The new bar end junction is so much better. Just drill the damn holes. You will like the finished product. IMHO internal brake cable routing on a bar is a bad idea. Leave the brake cables external and the Di2 cables internal. The finished product looks very clean.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com