Colnago C64 First Look

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

fromtrektocolnago

by fromtrektocolnago

dgasmd wrote:
Sat Jan 20, 2018 6:34 pm
Zakalwe wrote:
Sat Jan 20, 2018 4:11 pm
That’s the problem Colnago find themselves with, manufacturers have shortened the product cycle by marketing novelty as innovation and they’ve got to do the same if they want to keep up. There’s not much innovation to be had at the moment, the last real one was carbon fibre but that’s a mature technology now
Well, in my humble and poorly educated opinion, I think we hit a point of "nearly max innovation" about 4 years ago where anything else new is for the sake of new, not better. Part manufacturers have also encountered this, so it is not exclusive to frames. I think there is very little to improve that makes "significant difference". At the very least at the consumer end of things, but I suspect is the same at the PRO level.

:beerchug:
there's nothing that would come across as a major innovation that is needed but support for slightly wider tires will be nice. i kind of expect the advances will be better support for electronic group sets and disc brakes. and if they can lower the weight without messing with ride quality or durability that will be welcome as well. the goal is to get enough of their existing customer base excited enough to want to upgrade. that's pat marketing and part hype of course.
Colnago C-59 (Dura Ace)
Firefly(Ultegra)
Colnago C-64 disc(ultegra) with Bora 35 wheels

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Lelandjt

by Lelandjt

"When did you ever hear of bike mfgrs canvassing joe public about what they would like to see in a new product?"
That's literally the job description for myself (Santana Tandems) and my friend (Specialized).

"Look how many have followed Canyon down the integrated seat clamp road."
MANY bikes had integrated seatpost binders long before Canyon existed. Mostly aero bikes like my Kestrel Talon but some just for aesthetics.

corky

by corky

Lelandjt wrote:
Sun Jan 21, 2018 6:22 am
"When did you ever hear of bike mfgrs canvassing joe public about what they would like to see in a new product?"
That's literally the job description for myself (Santana Tandems) and my friend (Specialized).

MANY bikes had integrated seatpost binders long before Canyon existed. Mostly aero bikes like my Kestrel Talon but some just for aesthetics.
Well that’s what I mean....we’ve never heard of you or your canvassing activities.......

The Canyon example I gave was not meant to prove who did it first but who popularised it.....Kestrel? Who rides them?

Lelandjt

by Lelandjt

"We've" should be "you've". Many, if not most, Santana customers know who I am. Many enduro and downhill racers know my friend who works for Specialized.

Kestrel used to be a fairly popular brand in the early decades of carbon before it was sold to parent companies. Also, not an example of who did it first but that it's been a "feature" for deades. Canyon is a new company with a very new presence in the US. I'm not sure how much influencing they've done yet but your perspective could be relative to your time in the sport.

Not a big deal, I just thought you might like to know that companies do actually take into account what people are asking for and seek out that information. Maybe you'd just rather not be wrong.

fromtrektocolnago

by fromtrektocolnago

Lelandjt wrote:
Sun Jan 21, 2018 6:22 am

bike manufacturers do not survey the public, but companies have been known to hold focus groups, speak to distributors a favored dealer and gain further insight into the buying process. do you think products get designed and built without any marketing intelligence being conducted?
Colnago C-59 (Dura Ace)
Firefly(Ultegra)

Jitensha

by Jitensha

Wildstyle5000 wrote:
Sun Jan 21, 2018 12:21 am
Fabio Aru on the c64 (Short film):

https://www.facebook.com/groups/2957460 ... 638804171/
Probably our best look thus far at the seat post and resigned lug. Overall the C64 looks like a minor evolution of the C60. If it is only offered with direct mount and disc brakes, I will have no interest in the C64.

Cemicar

by Cemicar

The color scheme looks like an Argon 18 bike...

Last edited by Cemicar on Mon Jan 22, 2018 8:36 am, edited 1 time in total.

Zakalwe

by Zakalwe

Feels a bit like the end of an era in a way, slowly getting rid of the lugs

fromtrektocolnago

by fromtrektocolnago

Zakalwe wrote:
Mon Jan 22, 2018 8:22 am
you either have great eyes or reacting to something other than the photo because i can't make out anything to suggest more or less lugs. but i would have said that about the c60 when they went away from a bsa bottom bracket
Colnago C-59 (Dura Ace)
Firefly(Ultegra)

mag

by mag

Based on what I was able to roughly decipher from that video & those older photos it still seems to be a lugged construction (the seat cluster). I believe they're very well aware of the fact that their C-series is the (AFAIK) last lugged carbon frame currently in production and there are still quite a few customers who seek its characteristics together with the possibility of fully custom geometry.
But maybe they'll go tube-to-tube some day (or maybe they even partially have in the case of C64), I kind of expect that.

fromtrektocolnago

by fromtrektocolnago

lugged construction is so much a part of the colnago c heritage and mistique that i'm afraid they would destroy the franchise if they dropped it. it's not a performance issue so much as what the brand has become. when you talk c-40, c50, c-59 etc the first thing you think of is lugged construction, followed by how it rides.
Colnago C-59 (Dura Ace)
Firefly(Ultegra)

Zakalwe

by Zakalwe

fromtrektocolnago wrote:
Mon Jan 22, 2018 11:34 am
Zakalwe wrote:
you either have great eyes or reacting to something other than the photo because i can't make out anything to suggest more or less lugs. but i would have said that about the c60 when they went away from a bsa bottom bracket
The details speculated so far suggested that the seat tube and seat cluster lug are now one piece, I wasn’t referring to the video at all

fromtrektocolnago

by fromtrektocolnago

Zakalwe wrote:
Mon Jan 22, 2018 1:31 pm
fromtrektocolnago wrote:
Mon Jan 22, 2018 11:34 am
Zakalwe wrote:
The details speculated so far suggested that the seat tube and seat cluster lug are now one piece, I wasn’t referring to the video at all
doesn't bother me so much. no idea why they had to change the seat. will wait for details
Colnago C-59 (Dura Ace)
Firefly(Ultegra)

zappafile123

by zappafile123

Another little tid-bit I learnt from a rep is that the Di2 junction unit will be housed in the downtube in a similar fashion to the F10. Di2 and mech cable routing will be neatly integrated in the same little unit/region of the frame.

I'm looking forward to seeing this one... perhaps it will be my first Colnago. Though I did have a ride of a V2-R and was very impressed - an excellent racing rig and it is probably half the price of a C64.
FactorOne|SartoSeta|StorckF.3|Enigma EliteHSS|SworksSL6|ColnagoC60/V3Rs|DeRosa Protos|BianchiXR4/2|BMCSLR01 16|Cdale EvoHM|Focus IzMax|RidleyHe SL/SLX|BH Ulight|BassoDiamante|Scapin DyseysS8|TimeRXRS/ZXRS|TCR SL|RidleyNoah|Look585|CerveloS5/S3

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com