BMC Teammachine SLR01 vs Roadmachine RM01 (2018 disc)

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

ODC

by ODC

Can't choose between both
Like the looks of the road machine more but the teammachine is more a racer in stiffness etc...
Any one here ridden with both in long time terms?

I like to here you're opinion which one to choose

dcorn

by dcorn

They just came out, I doubt many people have ridden either, let alone both for a long period of time.

The bikes look damn near identical to me, I'm honestly surprised they styled them so closely.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

TonyM

by TonyM

I tested both and the Teammachine is slightly more responsive than the Roadmachine when you accelerate. And it is lighter I think.
The Roadmachine has more tire clearance and a more endurance geometry if you keep the high head cap. If you go for the low head cap the geometry is more similar to a Teammachine.

If you go only on roads (no gravel), want a race geometry anyway and are ok with 28mm tires max go for the Teammachine!

romalor

by romalor

why not team machine but with discs ?

TonyM

by TonyM

romalor wrote:
Thu Jan 04, 2018 7:10 pm
why not team machine but with discs ?
I suppose the OP means both as the disc version.
Therefore the 2018 Teammachine SLR01 disc and the 2018 Roadmachine01 which is anyway only available as disc version.

morrisond

by morrisond

The RM01 has been measured by Tour at 67NM in the BB - RM02 at 75NM - BTW 75NM is very stiff! Anything over 60nm is considered fantastic.

I think the SLR01 is somewhere in between the two.

BTW the RM02 is stiffer in the headtube as well - 10-15% more due to the wimpy Flat Sided Fork used on the RM01 - the SLR01 seems to use the same style fork as the RM01

Moral of the story - the RM02 is probably the best from a performance standpoint. The frame (as measured by tour in the same size) is only 110 grams heavier - headset and fork are the same weight.

Basically the RM02 is a great deal from a perforamance standpoint at only a 110 gram penalty.

TimW

by TimW

Can't comment on the Teammachine but as an RM01 owner I'm more than happy. The bike climbs well, especially out if the saddle efforts. The flexibility of the tyre clearance and the different spacers options mean the bike really can be dialled for your use and still look good.

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

TonyM

by TonyM

I ride a 2018 Roadmachine02 and I can indeed confirm that it is a nice ride and stiff as well. But I choose it because of the hidden fender mounts as it is my winter/ rain bike (and the possibility to have 28mm with fenders). I use the low head cap so that the geometry is more like a road bike and less like an endurance bike. Nevertheless the stack is somehow higher than a Teammachine SLR01. Im my size 51cm it is 539mm (low head cap) vs. 530mm.

So if you want to have a very low stack you should prefer a SLR01 without any spacers.
If you however prefer to have a more relaxed position of your cockpit then the Roadmachine (low head cap or even high head cap) is indeed a very good choice.

@ ODC: Which bike do you ride currently and with how many spacers?

ODC

by ODC

When you use the low head cap, isn’t the stack the same?
I have readed that the stack from the road machine is measured to the top of the head cap.
While with the slr it is to the top of the head tube. So you must count 8-9mm extra for the head cap you gonna/need to use.
Reach is also almost the same when using the low headcap

Or am i totally wrong?

I have ridden the new slr01 in rim brake version but sold it for a disc brake bike.
I have ridden with a slamed position of my stem.
The reason why i’m also thinking about the RM01 is:
- the slr01 disc frameset i can get from my shop is only the black/grey frameset all the rest is sold untill may
- like the looks of the RM01 more and i’m in love with the black team colors

TonyM

by TonyM

Yes top of the head cap for the stack reach of the BMC Roadmachine.

That’s why different stack and teach depending on the type of the head cap. The type of the BMC head cap changes therefore the stack and the reach of the Roadmachine.

In my size 51cm it is like this:
- High head cap (stock): stack 555 reach 372
- Low head cap (optional): stack 539 reach 378

In comparison the SLR01 disc in 51cm has a stack of 530 and a teach of 377.

So you can see that with the low head cap the geometry of the Roadmachine is getting closer to the SLR01 than an endurance bike: stack +9mm, reach +1mm compared to the SLR01.

On my RM02 (same geometry as the RM02) I have slammed my stem and the geometry is quite ok for me as it is my winter/ rain bike.

The tire clearance of the Roadmachine is however 30mm vs 28mm for the SLR01.

Conza

by Conza

TonyM wrote:
Thu Jan 04, 2018 6:24 pm
I tested both and the Teammachine is slightly more responsive than the Roadmachine when you accelerate. And it is lighter I think.
The Roadmachine has more tire clearance and a more endurance geometry if you keep the high head cap. If you go for the low head cap the geometry is more similar to a Teammachine.

If you go only on roads (no gravel), want a race geometry anyway and are ok with 28mm tires max go for the Teammachine!
This was basically me. Same as OP in terms of decision to make. But then I was like... well, if I want to do gravel (should just get a cyclocross bike I can throw around)...

Gonna be on the road 95% of the time. :thumbup:
It's all about the adventure :o .

Conza

by Conza

8)

Yet to slam stem. Thinking about DA PM. And DA rotors. :oops:
It's all about the adventure :o .

DiegoMendes

by DiegoMendes

Beast Builde :)

hi guys, Anyone know to tell me length the seatpost RM01, and what is the minimum insertion recommended by bmc in frameset.

on site says 310mm, but I'm not believing it, it looks very small, usually other brands come with 350 to 410.

thanks for the help

cpark

by cpark

TonyM wrote:
Thu Jan 04, 2018 9:00 pm
I ride a 2018 Roadmachine02 and I can indeed confirm that it is a nice ride and stiff as well. But I choose it because of the hidden fender mounts as it is my winter/ rain bike (and the possibility to have 28mm with fenders). I use the low head cap so that the geometry is more like a road bike and less like an endurance bike. Nevertheless the stack is somehow higher than a Teammachine SLR01. Im my size 51cm it is 539mm (low head cap) vs. 530mm.

So if you want to have a very low stack you should prefer a SLR01 without any spacers.
If you however prefer to have a more relaxed position of your cockpit then the Roadmachine (low head cap or even high head cap) is indeed a very good choice.

@ ODC: Which bike do you ride currently and with how many spacers?
Excellent point!
I couldn’t fit into either TM 01 or RM 01 due to their proprietary stem with an upright angle. I ended up settling for a TM SLR02 Disc One with -17 stem to get it to fit right.
I did get to ride around RM for a few minutes and it felt more compliant....maybe due to wider tires.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

cpark

by cpark

TonyM wrote:
Fri Jan 05, 2018 4:57 pm
Yes top of the head cap for the stack reach of the BMC Roadmachine.

That’s why different stack and teach depending on the type of the head cap. The type of the BMC head cap changes therefore the stack and the reach of the Roadmachine.

In my size 51cm it is like this:
- High head cap (stock): stack 555 reach 372
- Low head cap (optional): stack 539 reach 378

In comparison the SLR01 disc in 51cm has a stack of 530 and a teach of 377.

So you can see that with the low head cap the geometry of the Roadmachine is getting closer to the SLR01 than an endurance bike: stack +9mm, reach +1mm compared to the SLR01.

On my RM02 (same geometry as the RM02) I have slammed my stem and the geometry is quite ok for me as it is my winter/ rain bike.

The tire clearance of the Roadmachine is however 30mm vs 28mm for the SLR01.
You are absolutely right about the tire clearance of 28mm for TM.
I put the 25mm GP 4000s on it which measures 28.5mm on Nox wheels and it has a plenty of clearance.
Then I put a set of 28mm ones (measures 31.8mm) on it, and it literally touches the seat stays and under the fork.