Cooler weather clothing

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Boshk

by Boshk

I'm trying to get some bib and jersey combo without using a baselayer for cooler weather but not quite sure what exactly I'll need without buying every possible combination.......

can it be done without a baselayer

Current wardrobe:
Castelli Perfetto SS jersey-great windstopper
Pearl Izumi Select Pursuit summer SS jersey-good sun protection
Rapha Brevet Long Sleeve-comfortable, reflective elements....not windproof
Castelli Velocissimo bib shorts-light, summer.
Castelli basic arm and knee warmers

Temperature here will probably only drop to 5C (40F) and only for a few days.
I've been out with the Perfetto jersey, bib shorts and warmers and it really felt too cold.

For dealing with cooler temperatures, what's in your wardrobe?

Mr.Gib

by Mr.Gib

Here is my recipe for 5 degrees celcius.

Upper body
Gabba jacket or similar
Two high tech synthetic base layers - one very thin next to skin, one a little thicker on top.
Gloves - two pairs: light weight thermal, highly breathable, stretchy, and close fitting underneath a one size bigger, medium weight breathable thermal glove with windstopper or similar on back of hand only.
Light breathable head band underneath a summer weight synthetic cycling cap.

Lower body
Fleece bib tights (Assos Habu or similar)
Tall ski socks
Belgian bootie sock over shoe, and either waterproof bootie for wet road or windstopper thermal bottie for dry on top.

A few degrees warmer and I lose one of the base layers. Colder and I add knee warmers under the tights and a windproof vest on top of the Gabba (until I warm up). I have damaged feet hence the double shoe covers and I often use chemical toe warmers. Most guys don't need to go to this extreme with their feet.

For me the secret is that all clothing must allow air to pass through or condensation will result. The Gabba is really good that way - perfect balance between windproof and breathability.
wheelsONfire wrote: When we ride disc brakes the whole deal of braking is just like a leaving a fart. It happens and then it's over. Nothing planned and nothing to get nervous for.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

simoncx

by simoncx

Same for me, gabba jacket and ls craft base layer is usually enough, if it windy I'll add a ss base layer. Anyone having any ideas about -20c with the wind because around that temp I haven't found a way to keep warm on the road.

TonyM

by TonyM

Top:

I always have a base layer (different base layers from Castelli and Assos).

And a jacket depending on the temperature (several Castelli and Assos).

So depending on the temperature I combine the base layer and the jacket. No jersey at all until Spring.

Bottom:

Assos Tiburu bib with Assos leg warmers, neopren toes covers and belgian overshoes.

Or Sportful no rain with Sportful no rain leg warmers, Velotoze.
Last edited by TonyM on Mon Jan 01, 2018 7:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

TonyM

by TonyM

simoncx wrote:Same for me, gabba jacket and ls craft base layer is usually enough, if it windy I'll add a ss base layer. Anyone having any ideas about -20c with the wind because around that temp I haven't found a way to keep warm on the road.
I know some people riding at these temp with Assos winter base layer and Assos Bonka jacket. They say it is fine. You may add a wind jacket on top but that will reduce the breathability then.

glepore

by glepore

Tony has it. The habu is very nice with a winter base. A Castelli Transparente is as well. Gabba is good but doesn't breathe quite as well.

Bellow 50f I usually go to a winter shoe, like the sidi gtx. Just for convenience. Certainly the shoe covers work, its just an extra step.
Cysco Ti custom Campy SR mechanical (6.9);Berk custom (5.6); Serotta Ottrott(6.8) ; Anvil Custom steel Etap;1996 Colnago Technos Record

robertbb

by robertbb

Castelli alpha wind jersey and wind jacket.

Assos fall/spring short sleeve base layer... with separate arm warmers worn *underneath* the jersey / jacket.

The package gives great flexibility.

If it's too cold for the above, I simply ride indoors. It's far more beneficial training stimulus, takes less time (colder months also have less daylight). Plus I'm not being paid to ride a bike, so no need to brag about riding in stupid cold temps.

wingguy

by wingguy

Boshk wrote:
Mon Jan 01, 2018 2:44 pm
I'm trying to get some bib and jersey combo without using a baselayer....

For dealing with cooler temperatures, what's in your wardrobe?
As you can see from all the above responses the thing that is in everyone's wardrobe is a base layer or two. They make the rest of your outfit more effective and more versatile. One jacket and two baselayers can do the job of three different jackets and be more comfortable besides.

Why decide to make your life so much more difficult by not using one?

Boshk

by Boshk

Thanks all.
Purchased 2 more baselayers as you guys have suggested, 1 windproof ss from Craft and another normal ss.

Went to try out some cool/winter gear at Rapha but most of them didn't really fit me. Will go and see if I can find some Endura/Giordana/Castelli stuff today at LBS.
The Rapha Core bib tights were exceptionally comfortable but too long in the ankle area. Core jacket & jersey were weird sizing. Classic bib Shorts II were really nice too. You can easily see why people rave about them. Have yet to try on the high end Giordana FRC bib and Assos Mille bibs.

Seems like the general consensus is that tights are for the 30-45°F, those temperatures doesn't happen too often here in Hong Kong so I ordered some Castelli 3/4 and a dhb tights......see which fits better.

Most expensive is the Rapha winter windblocker jersey which I can return if it doesn't fit or I don't like it, may also order the Castelli Perfetto Long Sleeve or Trasparente jersey from a CRC since I can return those too and just pick 1 from the 3 as my only wind blocker.

Chans1ee

by Chans1ee

I live in south korea, winter of this region is pretty cold.

Clothing of -5 degree celsius :

kask bambino pro helmet
rapha winter baselayer
rapha winter jersey
rapha pro team jacket
assos bonkagloves

bottom
cotton flannel baselayer
assos neopro bib short
gripgrab leg warmer
assos fugubootie

simoncx

by simoncx

Baselayers are the key but if anyone knows a secret when the temp goes below -5c on how to keep your toes warm I would love to know. These last 2 weeks have been pretty cold, today is the warmest day and its still about -3c in the sun. I've tried different shoe covers, shoes, chemical warmers and embro but no matter what once the temp goes below freezing my toes get very cold and it's a painful couple days after that. Hopefully there showing it's suppose to warm up above freezing next week so maybe I can get off the trainer.

TonyM

by TonyM

simoncx wrote:Baselayers are the key but if anyone knows a secret when the temp goes below -5c on how to keep your toes warm I would love to know. These last 2 weeks have been pretty cold, today is the warmest day and its still about -3c in the sun. I've tried different shoe covers, shoes, chemical warmers and embro but no matter what once the temp goes below freezing my toes get very cold and it's a painful couple days after that. Hopefully there showing it's suppose to warm up above freezing next week so maybe I can get off the trainer.
I use the Assos Fugubootie_S7 and they work well (with only a thin sock in my Bont shoes as they don’t allow me to have a thicker sock).

https://www.assos.com/fugubootie-s7

If this doesn’t work then I would suggest you winter specific shoes. I personally have some Mavic Winter road shoes that I sometimes use when it is really very cold. You can combine these winter shoes with some winter socks (merino) and overshoes if necessary.

TonyM

by TonyM

Boshk wrote:Thanks all.
Purchased 2 more baselayers as you guys have suggested, 1 windproof ss from Craft and another normal ss.

Went to try out some cool/winter gear at Rapha but most of them didn't really fit me. Will go and see if I can find some Endura/Giordana/Castelli stuff today at LBS.
The Rapha Core bib tights were exceptionally comfortable but too long in the ankle area. Core jacket & jersey were weird sizing. Classic bib Shorts II were really nice too. You can easily see why people rave about them. Have yet to try on the high end Giordana FRC bib and Assos Mille bibs.

Seems like the general consensus is that tights are for the 30-45°F, those temperatures doesn't happen too often here in Hong Kong so I ordered some Castelli 3/4 and a dhb tights......see which fits better.

Most expensive is the Rapha winter windblocker jersey which I can return if it doesn't fit or I don't like it, may also order the Castelli Perfetto Long Sleeve or Trasparente jersey from a CRC since I can return those too and just pick 1 from the 3 as my only wind blocker.
Before you spend a lot of money on the Rapha clothes check all Assos clothing. Usually not much more expensive - except some Bonka clothes - but always a much better quality. Especially if you intend to use them a lot and for more than one year. I personally also have some Rapha clothes but it is more for fun.

Boshk

by Boshk

TonyM wrote:
Wed Jan 03, 2018 9:02 pm
Boshk wrote:Thanks all.

Before you spend a lot of money on the Rapha clothes check all Assos clothing. Usually not much more expensive - except some Bonka clothes - but always a much better quality. Especially if you intend to use them a lot and for more than one year. I personally also have some Rapha clothes but it is more for fun.
Yea, good idea. I'll go have a look at their stuff too. I only got a Rapha basic cap and their Brevet Long sleeve atm, liked the colour and the reflective elements.
Never see Assos go on sale though.....that good? Friends swear by their Cento bib shorts.......but those are serious $$$ and more for endurance riders right?

TonyM

by TonyM

Assos usually never go on sale indeed. If you use the clothes a lot or if you intend to use then for a long time the pricing is ok over the years of use.

Look at the bib insert vs Rapha/ Castelli etc.... and you will understand.

One disadvantage of Assos is to understand their range in terms of fit, Equipe vs. Cento vs. Mille etc... not very easy. So the best is to test these on you and then decide which model/ fit is the best for you.

I personally have different fit depending on the type of ride that I do. For example for the bibs I use the Cento for long rides over 5 hours, the Equipe for regular rides and the Tiburu for the winter.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com