Cannondale Quarq Installation Issues

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

58teeth

by 58teeth

Hi there-
I'm trying to install my Cannondale Quarq onto a Kona Jake the Snake BB30 frame but am having some issues. I'm following the Hollowgram SL installation instructions but once I tighten down the ds bolt the cranks don't spin smoothly (there is resistance). Here's how I have it set-up...Circlip-Bearing-Bearing Shield on the NDS, then I have the Circlip, Bearing, Bearing shield, spacers (up to 5), wave washer, crank.

I've tried all combinations of spacers (1, 2, 3,4, 5 but get nothing. What am I missing?

Thanks!

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

DamonRinard
in the industry

by DamonRinard

Might be too many spacers, causing the crank to load the bearings as its tightened. Does the crank turn smoothly before its tight?

Try approaching the final number of spacers from "too few" rather than from "too many".
Damon Rinard
Engineering Manager, Road Bikes
Cycling Sports Group, Cannondale
Ex-Kestrel, ex-Velomax, ex-Trek, ex-Cervelo

58teeth

by 58teeth

So I have a PF30 (SRAM) in there...anything I need to do different?

58teeth

by 58teeth

Ok I think it’s my older style lock ring. Just ordered a newer one and will see what happens.thanks for the tips in the meantime!

58teeth

by 58teeth

So I got the new lockring, and still no luck. It seems as if my options are:

1. Get the 109mm newer SISL2 spindle and use that with the standard bearing shields/spacers/etc to get it to work

Or

2. Get the SRM specific spindle and bearing shield and use that.

Is that a correct assumption?

NiFTY

by NiFTY

The srm bearings should work. They have a smaller lip on the cup to stop binding. Have u had a look whats causing the binding. I have found the spindle is waaaayyyy too tight in the bearings and causing binding on its own. I have sanded down 2 spindles to reduce the rafial force on the inner race of the bb.
Evo 4.9kg SL3 6.64kg Slice RS 8.89kg viewtopic.php?f=10&t=110579" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

58teeth

by 58teeth

Hey Nifty
Thanks for the response. It seems like it’s the chassis itself that’s causing the binding. Here’s another strange thing too. Often times when removing the DS crank it just pops off with the bolt as if it wasn’t pushed on enough to the spindle. Also, the spindle, is much, much smoother in the two plastic shields that come with the B.B. rather than the cannondale ones. It’s as if there is vertical movement with the standard shields

Again, this is a PF30 SRAM BB...you think a 104mm spindle will still work?

NiFTY

by NiFTY

The 104mm will work as long as you have the srm bb. It has lower profile alloy cups.
Evo 4.9kg SL3 6.64kg Slice RS 8.89kg viewtopic.php?f=10&t=110579" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

numberSix

by numberSix

pictures?

On a Quarq Red, I wound up having to put two clear shims each side.
The SRAM bearing shields are slightly inset vs the aluminum BB bearing cups.
So the Red preload adjuster was brushing the bearing cup outer edge.

I realize the Hollowgrams are probably different, but look for contact at spots that you wouldn't think would touch.
It's definitely trial and error to find the right mix of shims and spacers.

58teeth

by 58teeth

Yes, numberSIX there was some contact on the bearing shield in a previous attempt at a setup. Good point!

I ran up to the local dealer and they just happened to have a 109 SISL2 spindle laying around. I threw that on, and per cannondale instrucitons, used the SRAM bearing shields that came with the BB. The spindle made a huge difference, so I threw a bunch of washers and spacers in there (that equaled the spacer thickness in the picture) and that made huge difference. There was minimal lateral movement and some gaps that would definitely be filled by the necessary spacers. As such I ordered the spacer/washer kit that has the various SISL2 components and can see that this very well might have solved my issue. I should get them this week and will post Back with the final outcome.

Many thanks to those that offered a response!

58teeth

by 58teeth

OK, so I ended up buying the SISL2 spindle as well as the Cannondale Spacer kit for the Road SISL2 and I'm happy to say it solved my problem.

Thanks for everyone's input.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com