Cinelli XCR build help

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

ALara

by ALara

Hello

I am about 1 month away from ordering a new Cinelli XCR, Magic Mirror in a size small. I have been in cordial conversations with a few shops online and local all conflicting suggestions on wheels, group set and finishing kit. My goal is to keep it under 7.3 KG with a reasonable budget of 8-9K (US). Below are some of the suggestions.

SRAM RED, Mavic R sys and 3T finishing kit

Campy Record with SR chain and SR or SRAM cassette, Bora 35mm and Cinelli neos kit (Dream Build) way over budget...

SRAM ETAP, Fulcrum Racing Zero Competizione, Deda finishing kit

I am curious to see if there are any other reasonable build options?

Any XCR owners chime in please...

Angel
Fuji Alamira, 6800 Di2, easton EC 50.
Schwinn Sprint SS, 48/16, Kinlin 31's.
Apache, Fox float FS, XTR hydro, Mavic SLR (26)

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

naylor343

by naylor343

Wow, just googled this frame, really nice! I am not a campag guy, not since early 90's c-record, but if there is one thing this frame needs, it's campag and buckets of italian extras all the way. With all the braze on bits, especially the cable guides on the head tube, e-tap is not a nice option. In fact I could not imagine SRAM on it full stop. If I was paying out big money on this frame, I would wait and get the dream build kit, even if it it take a bit of time. Good luck with it whatever you choose.

sungod

by sungod

this is mine, custom dimensions, closest standard would be about 60cm

sram etap - the cable stops on the downtube simply unscrew (seal the holes with sugru), originally it was sram red, i put etap on it 2013/03
still has my old sram/srm crankset with praxis rings
the integrated bars are cinelli ram2, not the lightest but very stiff and comfortable shape
post/saddle are ax daedalus/leaf
ee brakes, with nokon beads, powercordz liner/cables
lightweight obermayers
tune wasserträger 2.0 cages
enve 2.0 fork - it originally had a columbus minimal fork, but i found that too flexy, understeer on hard cornering

since 2010 it's been ridden year round, many trips in a bikeboxalan case, plenty of rain and dirty roads, all i really do is hose it down and wipe it dry, still shiny!

get a spare hanger as they are not widely stocked
the seatpost clamp is elegant, but every post i've tried has slipped unless assembly paste is used, then it's ok
if you will have any aluminium components make sure you use a suitable antiseize on any area in contact with the frame, as in wet conditions, especially winter roads with salt, the galvanic corrosion can be fierce - this includes the hanger and if fitted the downtube stops

ALara

by ALara

What a nice build SunGod, I did not know the cable stops were removable, are the stops on the chainstay as well?
Do you recommend ETAP? How has the system been so far?
Sad to hear about the Columbus fork, I am not very big so I hope the fork will be fine for me.

sungod

by sungod

hmmm, looking at images online, i think cinelli have changed the design of the stops at least twice since mine (the first year xcr)

on mine, the stops are on a bracket at the top of the down tube, it is attached with two screws to a small brazed on plate about 1mm thick

on some online images it looks like the stops are brazed onto the downtube, on others they are shown on the head tube as mentioned by the poster above

check what yours will be, if the frame is built to order there may even be a choice available

the stop on the chainstay is brazed on, but so small it's unnoticeable

the etap has been flawless, i'm really happy with it, baking heat, dust, lots of rain, freezing, rough surface at high speed, all fine, and when i travel the alignment is still perfect after reassembling the bike, with mechanical it always took a while for cables to snug back down so i'd be adjusting the rd every ride for the first few days

fwiw i was around 77kg when i changed the fork, if you're much lighter it should be less of an issue

ALara

by ALara

fwiw i was around 77kg when i changed the fork, if you're much lighter it should be less of an issue
I am not much lighter 74kg, I hope the fork has been redesigned? I don't think I can reach my target weight using Campy, it will most likely be Red?

sungod

by sungod

looking at the columbus website, the current minimal has different graphics, but it may be only cosmetic, the shape looks the same

if you haven't ordered the frame yet, they should be able to give you options with other/no fork included

fwiw when i first got mine, i went for red purely on the feel/size/shape of the hoods/levers vs. campag and shimano, i tried them all in the shop, they all felt quite different

now with electronic and hydraulic versions the variation is greater, i know this is ww, but i would still go for what feels best for me rather than weight,

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

ALara

by ALara

So it;s looking like Record, Bora 35's and a 3T aero kit. It will be a little heavier than planned , but it wont be a frankenbike with SRAM, Mavic and neos. I will update with pics as they arrive soon...