Canyon Ultimate

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Thenuge

by Thenuge

Now that these have been in the US for a bit what do people think of them? I was thinking about an Ultimate CF SLX 8.0. Not super weight weenie but 7.2kg for $3800 seems pretty legit.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

springs

by springs

I'm thinking about a CF SLX too but would love to hear from people who've ridden both the CF SLX and the '18 Emonda SLR and can offer some words on how they compare.

robertbb

by robertbb

FWIW, I have a CF SLX frameset I'm in the process of building up. Size S. Here's actual weights:

Frame: 782g (incl. front and rear derailleur hangers).
Headset bearings = 37g more
Fork: 324g (incl. nut)

So (including all mounting hardware): 1143g. Claimed weight for the fork is 295g, and with the nut pre-installed in the fork I'd say it's accurate. Claimed weight for the frame in M, is 750g... so either I got unlucky with my size S, or the actual weights are a little more than claimed...

hannawald

by hannawald

robertbb wrote:
Mon Dec 25, 2017 12:19 pm
so either I got unlucky with my size S, or the actual weights are a little more than claimed...
actual weights are a little more than claimed (I have read some test where they compared various bikes and weighted framesets).. But still pretty good!

brusselsprouts

by brusselsprouts

robertbb wrote:
FWIW, I have a CF SLX frameset I'm in the process of building up. Size S. Here's actual weights:

So (including all mounting hardware): 1143g. Claimed weight for the fork is 295g, and with the nut pre-installed in the fork I'd say it's accurate. Claimed weight for the frame in M, is 750g... so either I got unlucky with my size S, or the actual weights are a little more than claimed...
I'm also interested in getting an Ultimate or Aeroroad and deciding between Medium and Small. I'm around 178cm tall - may I ask how tall you are?

brusselsprouts

by brusselsprouts

Thenuge wrote:
Mon Dec 25, 2017 1:21 am
Now that these have been in the US for a bit what do people think of them? I was thinking about an Ultimate CF SLX 8.0. Not super weight weenie but 7.2kg for $3800 seems pretty legit.
Do you know what the difference is between the SLX frame and the SL? From what I understand the non-disc brake SL's have different frames from the SLX, but the disc version seems like exactly the same shape. Is it just the carbon layering that's different? Wonder if I should save money and get the SL 8 disc vs the SLX.

dondomingo

by dondomingo

brusselsprouts wrote:
Tue Dec 26, 2017 4:07 am
Do you know what the difference is between the SLX frame and the SL? From what I understand the non-disc brake SL's have different frames from the SLX, but the disc version seems like exactly the same shape. Is it just the carbon layering that's different? Wonder if I should save money and get the SL 8 disc vs the SLX.
I own a Ultimate CF SLX non-disc. Before that I had the CF SL. If I were to build a frame from scratch, I would choose the CF SL. The SLX looks better, but there is more value for money in the SL. Hard to compare the two models since they have different shapes/geometry. But back in 2014/2015, the SLX and SLX were same shape and geometry. I was told that the only difference was paint and alu BB shell on the SL.

hannawald

by hannawald

brusselsprouts wrote:
Tue Dec 26, 2017 4:07 am
Thenuge wrote:
Mon Dec 25, 2017 1:21 am
disc SLX has same shape as disc SL, carbon is different so SLX is lighter. There is a difference in weight, whether it is worth to pay more is up to you:)

calleking

by calleking

brusselsprouts wrote:
Tue Dec 26, 2017 3:16 am
robertbb wrote:

I'm also interested in getting an Ultimate or Aeroroad and deciding between Medium and Small. I'm around 178cm tall - may I ask how tall you are?
I have the medium aeroad and I'm 179cm. Have the integrated handlebars slammed. Bike is long and low so a medium suited me well. I think I'd have to run spacers if I was on a small aeroad. It all depends on how long legs/arms you have. Fantastic bike :)
2022 Wilier Filante SLR Dura-Ace/Ultegra Di2 12sp
2021 Cannondale Scalpel Carbon 2

Retired:
2018 S-Works Tarmac SL6 Sagan Superstar DA 9150
2016 Aeroad CF SLX UDi2
2016 CAAD12 - SRAM Red 22 - Hyper 50mm

robertbb

by robertbb

To throw a spanner in the works, I'm 178 and I'm running a size S which is perfect for me. Saddle height is 75.25cm from centre of BB. I've chosen to use a zero offset post and stem is half way up the steerer.

robertbb

by robertbb

hannawald wrote:
Mon Dec 25, 2017 8:54 pm
robertbb wrote:
so either I got unlucky with my size S, or the actual weights are a little more than claimed...
actual weights are a little more than claimed (I have read some test where they compared various bikes and weighted framesets).. But still pretty good!
Thanks... for different manufacturers, or Canyon?

hannawald

by hannawald

There were several bikes in the test incl. Canyon. On paper Canyon should have been by far the lightest with 820g claimed but real weights among all bikes in the test were much closer, but Canyon was still among best, about the same as some BMC (i don't know road machine or team machine..)
there is not common metodology, how to specify weights, some manufacturers even quote weights without paint..

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com