Madone 9 mechanical 9100

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

popandmod

by popandmod

Looking at building up a new Madone 9 frameset with a mechanical 9100 group and a pair of the Enve aero handlebars.

I have heard recommendations against using a mechanical group with this frame but wasn't sure if that was related to the integrated bar/stem.

Im curious if anyone has experience of a similar setup.

Thanks!

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

markyboy

by markyboy

I had the madone 9 with that groupset on with no problems at all,i had the bontrager bars/stem combo.
The spacers that come with the frameset are designed to fit that combo,as all the wiring etc travels through the stem and so on.
I might be wrong but i cant see any other bar that would fit without the cables showing.
Ps bloody pig of a job to set up feeding all the internals.
viewtopic.php?f=10&t=146362
Colnago arabesque campagnolo super record 12
Colnago c64
Cinelli zydeco grx di2

russianbear

by russianbear

Do you have the manual that comes with the bike? You should be able to find a pdf online if you don't. Trek did a good job outlining all the steps there for routing the internal cables, including how long the housing sections need to be in specific sizes etc.

tnc1970

by tnc1970

I had the opportunity of riding a Madone 9 with 9000 mechanical groupset and I was positively surprised: it worked flawlessly and front shifting was great.
Note: the bike is the personal ride of a friend who runs a bike shop & service and he's still cursing about all the work needed to get the thing assembled, so, get ready for some fun and follow very very carefully Trek instructions. As mentioned below, they are very detailed and -almost- dumb proof (of course, provided you don't skip a single step :P ).

Fisherfreerider

by Fisherfreerider

It is no problem if you follow the steps. The people the have issues are the ones who think they are smarter than the manual.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

FIJIGabe

by FIJIGabe

I put my bike together, and took my time to do it right, the first time. It took me 4 days to do it, after work. Total time was 12 hours to build it, but I didn't have to thread anything through the bars, as the cable liners were factory installed. There is a good build series on YouTube that you can follow along. That plus the instructions provided me with everything I needed to complete the build.

Of note, the hardest part was getting everything situation in the headtube. The frame comes with liners all the way to the rear derailleur, so threading it through shouldn't be a problem.