2018 Trek Domane SL 7

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

nycjwi

by nycjwi

I'm looking to get a Domane and the 2018 Sl 7 seems like the best value. I would appreciate any feedback.
thx!

Mr.Gib

by Mr.Gib

A bit heavy by current standards. The main question with this bike is the geometry. They have a lower bottom bracket and taller stack than just about anything out there. If you need a really tall front end it could be good choice. Build quality should be excellent.

I haven't ridden the current model but demo'd the previous which has the same geometry. It gave the feeling of being "in" the bike instead of "on top" of it. The appropriate size felt big - "wallowing" was the word I would use to describe the handling. On the other hand I did not have an opportunity to try a size down with a long stem. I bet that would have transformed the feel.
wheelsONfire wrote: When we ride disc brakes the whole deal of braking is just like a leaving a fart. It happens and then it's over. Nothing planned and nothing to get nervous for.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

rainerhq

by rainerhq

I had the previous one. On training rides it was ok, but in race, I was always on drops, because when on hoods, I felt unsecure, too high.
Thatswhy I now ordered one size down.
All other aspects - superb bike.
Regarding weight. I felt it only when I was carring it up stairs to my flat. You won´t feel it when riding. OK, no ascents in here.
"Nothing compares to the simple pleasure of a bike ride"

SilentDrone

by SilentDrone

I’m probably going to order a 2018 Domane SLR 8 Disc in January. I’ve been on a couple of test rides on an SL in my size (62 H2) and on a 60 cm also, for comparison. It is a tall bike but I need that. Going down one size is fine if your goal is to reduce the stack, but then it’s a little too short in the reach for me. Going down also reduces the wheelbase. This runs counter somewhat to the endurance concept that the bike is designed around.

Speaking of the geo, I really liked the way the endurance geometry felt on my extended test ride. It’s very stable and comfortable. Like it just wants to go and go and go in a straight line, which suits my riding style very well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Connor

by Connor

Has anyone had extended experience with the isospeed in the headset? I've heard awful things about its maintenance in the rain which would really kill this bike for me.

Fisherfreerider

by Fisherfreerider

I have done nothing to mine in the 2 years I have owned it. I am not a fair weather rider either.

sennder

by sennder

I have an SLR that I built up to roughly SLR 6 specs with slightly better parts. It's by far the most comfortable bike I've ever ridden. The bottom bracket is quite low. I'm not a very flexible rider but with this stack, I'm just about ready to have the stem slammed (still have spacers below the stem since I haven't had the stem cut yet).
Connor wrote:
Wed Oct 31, 2018 6:40 am
Has anyone had extended experience with the isospeed in the headset? I've heard awful things about its maintenance in the rain which would really kill this bike for me.
I had issues with the isospeed decoupler in the headset but that was because it was missing some spacers from the supplier (purchased the frameset online). When I took it in for the fix, the bike shop filled in the front end with grease. I haven't had any issues with the headset since. I've had a few wet rides, including one where it poured for ~20-25 km straight.

--Sennder

Connor

by Connor

sennder wrote:
Wed Oct 31, 2018 4:03 pm
I have an SLR that I built up to roughly SLR 6 specs with slightly better parts. It's by far the most comfortable bike I've ever ridden. The bottom bracket is quite low. I'm not a very flexible rider but with this stack, I'm just about ready to have the stem slammed (still have spacers below the stem since I haven't had the stem cut yet).
Connor wrote:
Wed Oct 31, 2018 6:40 am
I had issues with the isospeed decoupler in the headset but that was because it was missing some spacers from the supplier (purchased the frameset online). When I took it in for the fix, the bike shop filled in the front end with grease. I haven't had any issues with the headset since. I've had a few wet rides, including one where it poured for ~20-25 km straight.

--Sennder
Good to know...

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com