Adding color to black bike. Ideas?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

TLN

by TLN

spazmaster wrote:
Fri Jan 19, 2018 8:20 pm
Did you "get a new bike" as in purchased the bike upfront to get as soon as the Tarmac 2018 disc is released or something else?
I thought the Tarmac disc isn't even listed in the Specialized dealer software...
Nah, that's older Tarmac. New to me: another N+1 :)
TonyM wrote:
Fri Jan 19, 2018 6:25 pm
WOW that purple colour on the black especially with the purple stars makes it very unique I would say... :mrgreen:
Dunno, if you're joking here
BikeAnon wrote:
Fri Jan 19, 2018 8:06 pm
^^^ Anyone who runs a metal water bottle should not be allowed to ride in groups.
I'm good then ;)
ergott wrote:
Fri Jan 19, 2018 9:33 pm
I have a couple black bikes and usually believe that less is more.
Yep, that's why I'm asking. Want to add a touch of color, but don't want to make it pop.
His: Orbea Orca OMX
Hers: Cannondale Synapse HM Disc

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

TonyM

by TonyM

In that case of a tandem I do like the "craziness" of the different colours! :thumbup:

photek

by photek

TLN wrote:
Fri Jan 19, 2018 7:29 am
Got all the stuff I wanted:

Supacal Oil Slick looks really cool: purple and blue. Bartape and jagwire cables looks okay: wish they're a tad darker.

Looks a bit too bright. I like that color (actually color of the year 2018, according to pantone), but still have some doubts. What do you guys think?
Looks good, did you get it all fitted? :)
2019 Trek Emonda SLR, SRAM eTap groupset, eeBrakes G4, Berk Lupina Saddle, TUNE Schwarzbrenner 60mm wheelset - 6.4 kg

taztaylortaz

by taztaylortaz

Use the top cap and the bar tape, skip the purple cables. Listen to Ergott, less is more. And definitely no purple cable ends.

Aya

by Aya

The easiest way to make color points is to change bar tape, as you said, and saddle change too.
Gumwall tires, colorful bottles and cages, Garmin silicon case(if you use it), pedal, and so on...
and I heard some people wrap their frame like a car wrapping like below.
Personally, I don't like to wrap my frame entirely, but maybe it could be OK to wrap small area in order to make a color point.
Attachments
1513333889577_b36uC.jpg
Last edited by Aya on Tue Jan 30, 2018 3:51 am, edited 5 times in total.

TLN

by TLN

photek wrote:
Sat Jan 20, 2018 6:33 pm
Looks good, did you get it all fitted? :)
Not yet. Have issue with cable routing through the bar now.
taztaylortaz wrote:
Sun Jan 21, 2018 1:17 am
Use the top cap and the bar tape, skip the purple cables. Listen to Ergott, less is more. And definitely no purple cable ends.
Tried topcap - didn't like the fit. Existing one is more rounded and it's almost seamless fit with Enve Stem. I agree that it's recommended to use spacer on top of stem.. but anyways.
Agree about the cables - don't feel like I want to redo em twice. Bar is so easy to redo on the other hand.

fogman

by fogman

How about a silicone cover for your Garmin. Comes in multiple colors.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
It's all downhill from here, except for the uphills.

TonyM

by TonyM

fogman wrote:
Tue Jan 23, 2018 4:39 am
How about a silicone cover for your Garmin. Comes in multiple colors.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Cool idea! :thumbup:

Kaboom

by Kaboom

If this is still relevant... I'm building a matte black chinese frame and fork with campy boras and full black sidewall Corsa CXIIIs, so yeah black on black. I've purchased or i'm about to purchase green:

Bartape
Cable outers
Cages
Cage bolts
black saddle with green stripe
Skewers
Seatpost clamp
chainring bolts
Cable crimps
Valve caps

And I'm considering green anodized headset spacers (currently carbon) and expander plug cap. But i'm not 100% sold on these, specially the spacers. And I haven't found a green expander bung that I like and is light enough.

I'm also gonna remove the stock Campy stickers from the Boras and replace them with custom cut vinyl outlines of the exact same design, in green. That way i'll be saving a few grams, too

Everything on the bike is going to be either black or green, except for the silver section of the front DA9000 brake and the couple of bolts that I wont be able to replace with green anodized versions. I even got black teflon coated cables.

I think it's gonna look bitchen, but then I might be wrong.

spinwax
Shop Owner

by spinwax

How about Plasti-Dip? I did a whole TT bike, wheels and emblems on cars. It's great stuff. Protects, and is easily removable. You can do accents without adding much weight.

https://plastidip.com

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=neO0rG4h3lc

mile2424

by mile2424

or you could always do what I did..... :beerchug:

https://youtu.be/lRTgHWkSsNk

TLN

by TLN

mile2424 wrote:
Wed Jan 24, 2018 7:27 am

This is sooooo cool!
I'm down to something like that, but on other bike = Allez Sprint DSW. Frame is clearcoated, so if I can add reflective pattern, and it will be invisible during the day :roll: Do you have a link with description of a process?

thebubbatex

by thebubbatex

I think tan sidewalls can add some flair. I thought this Cannondale Synapse looked cool:
C18_C12608M_BBQ.jpg

TonyM

by TonyM

mile2424 wrote:

That's a cool commuter bike :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

mile2424

by mile2424

TLN wrote:
Wed Jan 24, 2018 5:09 pm
mile2424 wrote:

This is sooooo cool!
I'm down to something like that, but on other bike = Allez Sprint DSW. Frame is clearcoated, so if I can add reflective pattern, and it will be invisible during the day :roll: Do you have a link with description of a process?
Reflexite V92 reflective material, with some color changing transparent tape from a hula hoop store, layer them over each other, and cut each piece by hand as desired and apply on the bike. Mine has been clear coated over, but should still stick to the bike pretty well as long as its clean