Silca SuperPista “recall”

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

ManekiNico

by ManekiNico

Here’s one for nu-Silca haters/Schadenfreude fans*: Silca is advising owners to stop using its base-model SuperPista floor pump due to a potentially dangerous gauge failure.
An issue has been discovered with a sub-component of the SuperPista that can cause the gauge to suddenly fail. This failure poses a potentially dangerous situation to the user.

We have identified the cause of issue and traced it back to insufficient anti-corrosion treatment to a sub-component inside the gauge. Rigorous testing has shown that the sub-component will corrode over time causing air to leak into the gauge housing. In rare circumstances, air has become trapped inside the housing causing the gauge to burst due to pressure mounting while the product is in use.
Silca has posted a support page (https://silca.cc/pages/superpista-support-page) to help owners identify affected pumps. Until Silca can ship out replacement parts in the new year, an interim fix involves unscrewing a bezel on the gauge and removing the lens (explained on the support page).

See also Silca releases urgent service bulletin on SuperPista floor pump gauges

*And also for SuperPista owners, I guess…
Mom: He was very sickly until he started riding around on that bicycle.
Dad: Yeah... well... now his body’s fine, but his mind is gone.

spud

by spud

I commend them for acting on the information, but have to ask, have they made the thing too complicated? I don't need the equivalent of a Leica camera to put air in tires.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

dvq

by dvq

spud wrote:I commend them for acting on the information, but have to ask, have they made the thing too complicated? I don't need the equivalent of a Leica camera to put air in tires.
It's not that complicated? The temporary fix literally took me 5 seconds to do by hand.

Silca Gauge Replacement:
- Unscrew the 4 base plate cover hex screws
- Unscrew the 2 elbow connector hex screws
- Replace gauge
- Reassemble

Lezyne Gauge Replacement:
- Pry plastic clear top off with a screw driver.
- Pry the gauge face destructively with a screw driver until it folds into two.
- Use vice grips to pinch the two halves of the gauge face
- Rotate vice grips to unscrew destroyed gauge face.
- Screw in new gauge unit.