The ultimate saddle bag

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Hapsmo911

by Hapsmo911

I use the Road Caddy by Lezyne in the winter when I want to carry more stuff.

I also use one of these.

Can hold a cheap pair of readers, tube, 2x CO2, multi tool, cash, levers, a gel, patch kit. Could do x2 tubes with less crap if you wanted. Fits in the back Jersey. Highly recommended :) Can get it @ Amazon as well, cheap...

https://shop.eaglecreek.com/undercover- ... goryId=312

survivor

by survivor

shimmeD wrote:Survivor, I imagine that you could end up making a few models/sizes, as different people have different requirements as well as different riding situations.
I question the saddle bag itself, because your ride feels lighter if there is less weight above your centre of gravity eg light seatpost, saddle, handlebars, stem and no computer, no saddle bag/attachments.
IMO Not a good idea to carry hard objects like tools & pump in your back pockets as they are in a position to hurt your spine if you fell on your back.
And I carry a spare tubular when riding tubs but different spares when I'm on clinchers or tubeless. So I end up putting my stuff in the second bottle cage. And bugger me, there may be no bottle-filling stop mid-ride or I'd simply rather not!
Cycling is just full of compromises. :beerchug:
You are spot on about different people have different requirements and riding situations. I understand there is definitely no one size fits all situation here. I guess my goal is to try to establish the requirements of the saddle bag that will resonate with majority of the cyclists out there.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

dgasmd

by dgasmd

The reason there are like 60 different models of saddle bags is that the ideal one is dependent on each particular rider and all the extra stuff they find a "must have necessity". Some people want to carry even a chair if they could while others carry the bare essential for the most likely thing to happen. I ride tubulars, so that is another entirely group. I carry a prelude tire, set of levers to help me get it off on the rd, a mini pump, and 2 CO2 cartridges with a tiny chuck. I can frankly, and do sometimes, fit all that in a single jersey pocket. Most times I use a cut off water bottle in a cage as it is so much lighter than the multiple "carriers" I've waster money over the years. Saddle bags, and I have tried a dozen models at least including a strap only, have proven too big for my fat butt and things ruining my bibs in even a single ride at times.

Frankly, there is too many in the market already to bother designing anything unless it is to satisfy a "personal must have".

prendrefeu

by prendrefeu

Funny, the prototype I've been testing for the past 3 years weighs 36g, easy on/off from the bike (nothing on the seatpost), fits into a back pocket if you want, can carry a spare light if you want but has safety features of its own, has not torn in the years of abuse, has never fallen off on the roughest of roads or trails, fits 2 road tubes + multitool + patches + tire lever, waterproof....

Where are you getting this 100g after your 'research' ?
Exp001 || Other projects in the works.

survivor

by survivor

prendrefeu wrote:Funny, the prototype I've been testing for the past 3 years weighs 36g, easy on/off from the bike (nothing on the seatpost), fits into a back pocket if you want, can carry a spare light if you want but has safety features of its own, has not torn in the years of abuse, has never fallen off on the roughest of roads or trails, fits 2 road tubes + multitool + patches + tire lever, waterproof....

Where are you getting this 100g after your 'research' ?
Looks like you have found the ultimate solution. Congratulations! :beerchug:

prendrefeu

by prendrefeu

The ultimate solution would only exist if I had capital. Which I don't, and I don't want to go kickstarter yet - so that's why 1 year testing turned into 3, but I've been happy so far.

ooo

by ooo

Ultimate WW bag may have fixed space to conveniently store separate hex keys (with fast and easy access to them)
to make it possible to avoid multitools (they carry a lot of unnecessary weight).
'

Roel W

by Roel W

BBB Curvepack BSB-13 S

https://bbbcycling.com/en/accessories/saddlebags/BSB-13

Due to it's curved shape it's very minimalistic.
It doesn't rub you legs.
It has a rubber strap round the seatpost instead of velcro so your shorts doens't get ruined.
It's all black.
It's affordable.
And for the weightweenies it's light.

survivor

by survivor

Roel W wrote:
Wed Dec 20, 2017 10:59 am
BBB Curvepack BSB-13 S

https://bbbcycling.com/en/accessories/saddlebags/BSB-13

Due to it's curved shape it's very minimalistic.
It doesn't rub you legs.
It has a rubber strap round the seatpost instead of velcro so your shorts doens't get ruined.
It's all black.
It's affordable.
There have been feedback from others that they preferred a solution that would not involve a strap to the seat post.

prendrefeu

by prendrefeu

Roel W wrote:
Wed Dec 20, 2017 10:59 am
Do you have a verified weight? I could not see one on the link you posted. The plastic bit on the top where it "hangs" from the saddle rails screams heavy and insecure off road.

ooo

by ooo

BBB BSB-13 CurvePack brutto weight (with retail package)

154 g - 180 x 98 x 87 mm - BBB BSB-13 CurvePack 690ml Saddle Bag Black Large
141 g - 165 x 85 x 80 mm - BBB BSB-13 CurvePack 520ml Saddle Bag Black Medium
121 g - 145 x 75 x 73 mm - BBB BSB-13 CurvePack 360ml Saddle Bag Black Small

cardboard package
Attachments
Small
Small
Medium
Medium
'

survivor

by survivor

ooo wrote:
Wed Dec 20, 2017 8:08 pm
BBB BSB-13 CurvePack brutto weight (with retail package)

154 g - 180 x 98 x 87 mm - BBB BSB-13 CurvePack 690ml Saddle Bag Black Large
141 g - 165 x 85 x 80 mm - BBB BSB-13 CurvePack 520ml Saddle Bag Black Medium
121 g - 145 x 75 x 73 mm - BBB BSB-13 CurvePack 360ml Saddle Bag Black Small

cardboard package
I think a saddle bag above 100g is not lightweight based on weightweenies standard :D

gsgrossart

by gsgrossart

Check out the thread on “saddle pack recommendations” from 2016 (I’m not sure how to direct link to the thread). A fellow WW (Jordo99) made me some super lightweight custom saddle bags which have been working flawlessly. I have photos and details in that thread. Looking forward to seeing what prendrefeu comes up with.

markyboy

by markyboy

For me i think saddle bags look ugly,i use fizik 00 saddle but cant get much in it but i would like one that fits in a jersey pocket .
Colnago arabesque campagnolo super record 12
Colnago c64
Cinelli zydeco grx di2

fogman

by fogman

If you want a saddle bag that fits in your jersey pocket I would recommend the Sticky Pod. This is what I use.
ImageImage

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
It's all downhill from here, except for the uphills.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com