Weight Weenies
* FAQ    * Search    * Trending Topics
* Login   * Register
HOME Listings Blog NEW Galleries NEW FAQ Contact About Impressum
It is currently Wed Jan 17, 2018 4:36 am

All times are UTC+01:00

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 66 posts ]  Go to page Previous 1 2 3 4 5 Next
PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2017 3:52 pm 

This is WW. So for starters you should be thinking about a bag or roll that will take a spare tubular, not just an inner tube. I'd say the minimum for sensible riding is:

Spare tubular (at least a Tufo Elite Jet <160, preferably something more like an actual tyre...)
Multitool (with chain breaker)
Quicklink
Tyre lever
2 x CO2
CO2 inflator head
Emergency derailleur hanger
Micropump (e.g. Topeak rocket carbon)

I get all of that into an Arundel Tubi bag. Can you do better?

Posted: Wed Dec 13, 2017 3:52 pm 

PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2017 3:54 pm 

I have resorted to carrying stuff in my pockets because my big thighs rub the saddle bags I have owned and wear down my bibs... So, a slim profile would be nice, really tucked into the seat.

edit:
I carry a master link (tiny)
tube, generally in the box
co2 cartridge
co2 adapter
plastic levers

less is more in these bags. Another thought is that easy to clean is nice. I hate rinsing off saddle bags and then they get wet and have to air dry for a long while before being clean again

PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2017 4:02 pm 

less is more. i carry everything in my jersey pockets. during winter...i use a Tacx container that holds everything since i only carry one water bottle....shorter rides in chilly temps.

that said, i never found a saddle bag that tucked up high enough that didn't look too bulky. it'll be interesting to see what you come up with...maybe have two versions...one short rides with 1 tube 1 CO2 and tire levers. ant a larger version for centuries that'll have 2 tubes and 2 CO2 with levers.

- Independent Fabrication Ti FLW + Campy SR11 + Enve 3.4 CK hubs

PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2017 4:32 pm 

wobbly wrote:
And needs to stay high enough so that it's out of the way of my legs.
One of mine is a Topeak which has the quick release tab which is useful but the overall volume is slightly too small.
Bib rubbing is one of the concerns we have as well thus we have this into our considerations during our design to make sure this doesn't happen :thumbup:

Topeak quick release is great but its solution requires an additional attachment hardware to first install on the saddle. This maybe a problem if you have multiple bikes and would like to switch your saddle bags between bikes. You will need the attachment hardware on all your bikes.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2017 4:38 pm 

basilic wrote:
"2 spare tubes, 2 tire levers, 2 CO2 canisters, Multitools with chain tool, patch kit"
= too much stuff, the bag will be too big (for day rides). How about 1 tube, levers, small multitool, patch kit. No CO2 for those who use a pump.
You'll need several sizes if you want to make everyone happy.

"Quick attach" => the bag will hang below the saddle like a dog's scrotum.
I'd like to see a bag that would fit "into" the saddle, between the rails, visually unobtrusive.

Also, separate pocket for the tube so it doesn't get punctured by the tools.
Great inputs. Thanks!

We are pretty sure one size doesn't fit all. We will probably need to think about a way to create a compact bag and yet expandable when needed, and it needs to be visually unobtrusive whether in compact or expanded mode. Wow, this will be a great challenge for the design team but we love good challenges! :wink:
We won't want our bag to hang below the saddle like that as well :D Visually unobtrusive is definitely our key priority in design.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2017 4:42 pm 

964Cup wrote:
I get all of that into an Arundel Tubi bag. Can you do better?
We checked out various (many!) saddle bags currently in the market to make sure we can offer something better. With that said we haven't really try with spare tubular. This is great input and we will put that in our checklist :D

PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2017 6:31 pm 

Even smaller is possible:

I have everything in a Castelli mini saddle bag: 0.3l = 18.3 cubic inches
https://www.castelli-cycling.com/Produc ... 890010417P

Inside 1 x spare tube, 1 x CO2 cartridge, CO2 "valve", patches for puncture, glue, multitools, 2 x tire lever, 2 x valve extenders, valve adapter (for gas station), money.

I have the same in a Ziplock bag if I use it in my jersey's pocket.

For me that's the benchmark.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2017 8:09 pm 

TonyM wrote:
Even smaller is possible:

I have everything in a Castelli mini saddle bag: 0.3l = 18.3 cubic inches
https://www.castelli-cycling.com/Produc ... 890010417P

Inside 1 x spare tube, 1 x CO2 cartridge, CO2 "valve", patches for puncture, glue, multitools, 2 x tire lever, 2 x valve extenders, valve adapter (for gas station), money.

I have the same in a Ziplock bag if I use it in my jersey's pocket.

For me that's the benchmark.
Thanks for recommending the benchmark. We will definitely check this Castelli mini saddle bag out.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2017 9:04 pm 

I am new to being a WW, and having drunk the Kool-Aid ladled out on this forum, I am counting grams on everything these days, (whereas I never worried about it in the past.)

From that perspective when shopping for a seat bag I would look at weight first and weight/cu in ratio's. As I born again WW, I have trimmed down the gear in the saddle bag to one tube (lightweight 80g), two plastic tire irons, a CO2 cartridge, inflator, small patch kit, quick link, credit card. I ditched the multi-tool as it has been years since I needed it when riding (and I ride in very rural locations, maybe 2 cars on 100K ride, so taking a chance).

Color choice would be nice, and absence of logo's (simple, unobtrusive, don't want my seat bag to be a brand billboard)

PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2017 10:03 pm 

Hi there,

Check out Topeak for ideas, I use several of their saddle bags (eg aero Wedge Pack).

Admittedly they aren't the lightest around, and I find the zipper difficult to use when the bag is strapped tight under the saddle. I have never found a decent rigid mounting system for bags that work, they all tend to rattle about - hence I prefer the strap mount variety.

On my winter bike I probably carry more than most with me (multi tool, multiple co2, valve, levers, two tubes, some first aid kit, wipes, hanger, links, eye wash, portable bike lock, etc), it is well rammed in :D With my summer (lightweight) bike, I have a more stripped down contents.

J.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2017 10:08 pm 

apctjb wrote:
Color choice would be nice, and absence of logo's (simple, unobtrusive, don't want my seat bag to be a brand billboard)
Not that we already came up with our logo but will definitely keep this in mind when the time comes for us to think about our logo :D

PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2017 10:20 pm 

I can only recommend the Specialized Mini Wedge...

Holds a tube/extreme sealant if tubulars, a multi tool, patches and a mini pump (I don't like running a frame mounted pump)... is aero too.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2017 1:34 am 

sdr traveller courier 60 M is the best.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2017 1:42 am 

cwcheung wrote:
sdr traveller courier 60 M is the best.
That adjustable wrench is not WW! :mrgreen:

What do you need it for??

Posted: Thu Dec 14, 2017 1:42 am 

PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2017 3:29 am 

isn't this what jersey pockets are for?
a couple hex wrenches for the main bolts, tire lever, extra tube, patch kit in a zip-lock bag. plus mini pump in the center pocket
phone, cash, ID, credit cards in a zip-lock in the rear right pocket, along with the cleat covers
food items in the rear-left pocket

saddle suitcases will mess up the line of your bicycle.
you don't want that.

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 66 posts ]  Go to page Previous 1 2 3 4 5 Next