The ultimate saddle bag

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

commendatore

by commendatore

Catagory6 wrote:isn't this what jersey pockets are for?
a couple hex wrenches for the main bolts, tire lever, extra tube, patch kit in a zip-lock bag. plus mini pump in the center pocket
phone, cash, ID, credit cards in a zip-lock in the rear right pocket, along with the cleat covers
food items in the rear-left pocket

saddle suitcases will mess up the line of your bicycle.
you don't want that.
What do you do with your removed arm and leg warmers? Heavy gloves or wind vest in winter? Third bottle in summer? Second spare tube for long days or bad roads?

And people actually use cleat covers? I’d rather be caught with a saddle bag than fussing about with cleat covers at the cafe.

survivor

by survivor

a couple hex wrenches for the main bolts, tire lever, extra tube, patch kit in a zip-lock bag. plus mini pump in the center pocket
phone, cash, ID, credit cards in a zip-lock in the rear right pocket, along with the cleat covers

you don't want that.
Well of cause cyclists can choose to use their jersey pockets for what have mentioned above. The is no right or wrong, its just personal preferences. For those that don't want their jersey pockets to be fully loaded then maybe saddle bag is their solution :D

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

robertbb

by robertbb

964Cup wrote:This is WW. So for starters you should be thinking about a bag or roll that will take a spare tubular, not just an inner tube. I'd say the minimum for sensible riding is:

Spare tubular (at least a Tufo Elite Jet <160, preferably something more like an actual tyre...)
Multitool (with chain breaker)
Quicklink
Tyre lever
2 x CO2
CO2 inflator head
Emergency derailleur hanger
Micropump (e.g. Topeak rocket carbon)

I get all of that into an Arundel Tubi bag. Can you do better?
You carry an emergency derailleur hanger??

..... where do you fit your tinfoil hat though? :wink: :beerchug:

BikeAnon

by BikeAnon

An element that I'd love to see in a saddle bag.... no extra weight or manufacturing to add branding or logo.

X-labs have stitching on the side, that adds weight, it must add cost.... so I have to pay extra AND carry extra, just so they can have their name on MY bag? Wasteful. Shameful. In an otherwise almost perfect bag.

Even screen-printing adds weight and cost. Sure, the weight is meaningless... to me it's more about adding extra, to make a product that is now inferior. The only thing worse is when the branding adds weight AND makes something weaker.

Yes, I feel the same way about badges on a Mercedes, but the additional cost is slight, and the power/weight ratio is a tad different.

Also,

In your first post you mention "faster than Velcro". What could be faster than Velcro? It's fabric that goes together by touching itself.

survivor

by survivor

BikeAnon wrote:An element that I'd love to see in a saddle bag.... no extra weight or manufacturing to add branding or logo.

X-labs have stitching on the side, that adds weight, it must add cost.... so I have to pay extra AND carry extra, just so they can have their name on MY bag? Wasteful. Shameful. In an otherwise almost perfect bag.

Even screen-printing adds weight and cost. Sure, the weight is meaningless... to me it's more about adding extra, to make a product that is now inferior. The only thing worse is when the branding adds weight AND makes something weaker.

Yes, I feel the same way about badges on a Mercedes, but the additional cost is slight, and the power/weight ratio is a tad different.

Also,

In your first post you mention "faster than Velcro". What could be faster than Velcro? It's fabric that goes together by touching itself.
Thanks for the inputs. We will sure take it into consideration. I guess branding in certain way is unavoidable but perhaps more subtle would be nicer?

When I mentioned "faster than Velcro" I meant the time it takes to attach or remove a saddle bag that uses Velcro. Those saddle bags that use quick release are perhaps faster in the attachment or removal process.

survivor

by survivor

What would be a good target for the saddle bag weight? Sub 100g is a good place to start?

basilic

by basilic

100g? ha ha

Survivor, are you saying you have done zero homework? Have you not bought, examined, used, weighed every potential competitor?
A small Deuter saddle bag that I weighed was 40g, and you could remove the plastic foam stiffener for another few grams. A bit flimsy, but it cost less than a latex tube.
The Castelli mini is heavier, but much nicer waterproof finish. Still, due to the attachment straps it sits below the rails, and it's too big for just one tube , levers, and tool. Also the zipper catches on the angles.

TonyM

by TonyM

you don't want that.
For short rides it surely works like this, minus the cleat covers or do you really need cleat covers?

But if you go for a longer ride for 5 hours or more and which starts early (cold) then you have also to carry in the afternoon your arm warmers, leg warmers and maybe also a wind jacket. Or you go for a long ride and expect maybe rain, then you have also to carry a rain jacket in your pocket. In that case you may be very happy to have a saddle bag (which does indeed ruin the look of your bike).

TonyM

by TonyM

basilic wrote:(...)
The Castelli mini is heavier, but much nicer waterproof finish. Still, due to the attachment straps it sits below the rails, and it's too big for just one tube , levers, and tool. Also the zipper catches on the angles.
For one tube only you don't need a saddle bag ... :mrgreen:

What do you mean with the "zipper catches on the angles"? I don't have any problems with it...

4ibanez

by 4ibanez

It should have a little 'garage' to tuck the zipper into when it's done up. Cleaner look and tiny bit more aero!

survivor

by survivor

4ibanez wrote:It should have a little 'garage' to tuck the zipper into when it's done up. Cleaner look and tiny bit more aero!
We actually already have this incorporated into our zipper design.

survivor

by survivor

basilic wrote:100g? ha ha

Survivor, are you saying you have done zero homework? Have you not bought, examined, used, weighed every potential competitor?
A small Deuter saddle bag that I weighed was 40g, and you could remove the plastic foam stiffener for another few grams. A bit flimsy, but it cost less than a latex tube.
We do bought, examined, used, weighed most potential competitors. I wouldn't say all though :D
There are typically two types, the ones that are <100g, like Lezyne Road Caddy (70g), which is compact and the ones that are >100g, like Topeak Wedge Pack small and above, which is larger in storage. The challenge is to remain <100g but have the storage capacity similar to the ones >100g.

reknop

by reknop

Club Cycling Pouch from Waterfield + Eleven Velo. It basically combined a phone wallet and a saddlebag in an very slim profile. https://www.remo-knops.com/5533/club-cy ... ch-review/

When you 150% want to go for a saddlebag I would use the Scicon Elan 210 Carbonium saddle bag. Compact and durable. http://www.wiggle.nl/scicon-elan-210-za ... 7397497517
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
https://www.cycling-review.net

DJT21

by DJT21

zefal z light pack xs

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

shimmeD

by shimmeD

Survivor, I imagine that you could end up making a few models/sizes, as different people have different requirements as well as different riding situations.
I question the saddle bag itself, because your ride feels lighter if there is less weight above your centre of gravity eg light seatpost, saddle, handlebars, stem and no computer, no saddle bag/attachments.
IMO Not a good idea to carry hard objects like tools & pump in your back pockets as they are in a position to hurt your spine if you fell on your back.
And I carry a spare tubular when riding tubs but different spares when I'm on clinchers or tubeless. So I end up putting my stuff in the second bottle cage. And bugger me, there may be no bottle-filling stop mid-ride or I'd simply rather not!
Cycling is just full of compromises. :beerchug:
Less is more.