The ultimate saddle bag

Discuss light weight issues concerning road bikes & parts.
survivor

by survivor

dgasmd wrote:
Sun Dec 24, 2017 12:35 pm
If had
Clinchers, this would scream winner to me.

Something to consider:

-Most 500cc (small) water bottles weight about 60’s grm. Cut the top 2/3 of it and stick it in your seat tube cage. You now have a 40 grm +/- “bag”!! Holds more than most small-Med saddle bags too!!
There are some population of cyclists that don't like to have the tools in their jersey pockets. I have learned that it could be a safety hazard as well if there is an accident and landing on the back with tools in jersey pockets.

Using water bottle as a storage obviously will sacrifice a water bottle which may not be ideal if going for a longer ride.

rpowell

by rpowell

i want something beautiful and carbon fiber that makes the bike look fast with everything integrated. something carbon fiber that is shaped like a arundel bottle cage and has precision mounting like a k-edge. i want the multi-tool to sit on the outside to show off precision like when you walk into a bike shop and see all the cool tools on the wall. maybe some cool clip for co2 like how a water bottle fits in a cage. and a way to capture a neatly rolled tube. keep it simple and beautiful.

by Weenie

survivor

by survivor

rpowell wrote:
Tue Dec 26, 2017 8:49 am
i want something beautiful and carbon fiber that makes the bike look fast with everything integrated. something carbon fiber that is shaped like a arundel bottle cage and has precision mounting like a k-edge. i want the multi-tool to sit on the outside to show off precision like when you walk into a bike shop and see all the cool tools on the wall. maybe some cool clip for co2 like how a water bottle fits in a cage. and a way to capture a neatly rolled tube. keep it simple and beautiful.
Some of what you said have been in our design language. I hope you will like what you see eventually :thumbup:

LVGH

by LVGH

For me the best saddlebag so far is the Arundel Dual. It ticks most of boxes that matter to me:

* size is exactly perfect (fit and forget, ready for long days in the saddle): carries 2 tubes, levers, CO2 inflater, 2 cartridges, valve core remover (tightener...), a small multitool (or hex keys), pair of rubber gloves, tire patch.
* no strap on the seatpost, leather patch prevents premature wear
* vertical orientation means it doesn't rub your shorts
* reasonable weight (50-60g)
* affordable (I paid around € 10,-) although it's not so easy to find anymore these days
* simple looks without fancy logo's etc but subtle color options available

What is doesn't tick, but these are less relevant to me:

* if it is stuffed like mine you can't access all the contents without taking it off
* not completely waterproof
* reflectiveness or the option to easily attach a rear light to it
* it could touch the seatpost if it has zero setback

dgasmd

by dgasmd

survivor wrote:
Tue Dec 26, 2017 3:52 am
Using water bottle as a storage obviously will sacrifice a water bottle which may not be ideal if going for a longer ride.
I live in South FL where it is hot all the time, so carrying plenty of fluids is not a choice, but a necessity. After buying and trying about 9 different seatbags, several strap methods, using my back pocket (still do on occasion), and many other permutations, I have settled with the downtime bottle cage method. I bought a few 1 Liter water bottles. They weight slightly more than a 750 cc one, but when you do the math of cc/grm you realize you are saving quite a few gems by having a single 1L bottle rather than 2x 500cc ones. It lasts me 1-1.5 hr to drink it, which is plenty of time to run into a place where I can refill.

Conclusion: WINNER in more ways than one!! :welcome:

PS: BTW, I don't get the obsession with carrying tools. In decades of riding I am yet to have a single episode where I wished I had one to fix something on the road. I fix my stuff at home and double check it so it doesn't fail on the road. I do carry CO2 and a tiny mini pump for "what if" or to lend to others if needed. :beerchug:

survivor

by survivor

dgasmd wrote:
Thu Dec 28, 2017 1:59 pm

I live in South FL where it is hot all the time, so carrying plenty of fluids is not a choice, but a necessity. After buying and trying about 9 different seatbags, several strap methods, using my back pocket (still do on occasion), and many other permutations, I have settled with the downtime bottle cage method. I bought a few 1 Liter water bottles. They weight slightly more than a 750 cc one, but when you do the math of cc/grm you realize you are saving quite a few gems by having a single 1L bottle rather than 2x 500cc ones. It lasts me 1-1.5 hr to drink it, which is plenty of time to run into a place where I can refill.

Conclusion: WINNER in more ways than one!! :welcome:

PS: BTW, I don't get the obsession with carrying tools. In decades of riding I am yet to have a single episode where I wished I had one to fix something on the road. I fix my stuff at home and double check it so it doesn't fail on the road. I do carry CO2 and a tiny mini pump for "what if" or to lend to others if needed. :beerchug:
Hopefully what we are working on will give you back your water bottle and a solution to your tool storage :D