Which Oakley lens (Jawbreaker) for the UK

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

TonyM

by TonyM

JayUK wrote:Hi guys,

Thanks for the great replies :)

It looks like it's a very personal decision, some say the prism lenses are fine for darker rides, some say not.

I'll probably go with the prism lens, as the main purpose is to stop the sun/glare. If I do find them a bit too dark for the miserable weather or late rides then I'll either switch to my Rudys or invest in the photochromic lens.

Cheers,

J.

As I said I have the Oakley photochromic lensed they are great for the cloudy/ rainy weather but I suppose that for glare the Prizm are far superior! (that's why I just ordered one pair)

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Shrike

by Shrike

Interesting about the low light prism's.. those sound perfect. Will keep an eye out for those in 2018.

Enjoy the new specs Tony/Jay :D

TonyM

by TonyM

Shrike wrote:Interesting about the low light prism's.. those sound perfect. Will keep an eye out for those in 2018.

Enjoy the new specs Tony/Jay :D
Yes they sound good to me too!
The only problem is to have another pair and to have to spend some more $...

IchDien

by IchDien

You're all making me want to buy Prizm lenses now.

I have just the black iridium...are they that much better?

ALAN Carbon+

by ALAN Carbon+

Personally, yes they are quite a bit better than the standard black iridium lens. I find the black iridium is good in really bright sunlight, but as soon as you get a bit of cloud or fading light they can be a bit too dark.

I agree with others, that lens choice, particularly with the Prizm Road/Trail is a personal thing. I got caught in the rain with the Prizm Trail lens a couple of weeks ago and found it too dark for my liking, if i had a choice i would have preferred the Yellow lens to enhance what light was about.

I do like the photochromic lens, but it is a jack of all trades but master of none. It is good for variable lighting conditions, but find it a touch dull in low light.

I am certainly looking forward to trying the Prizm Low Light when it is available.

MRM

by MRM

I use Prizm road for 90% of the time. The clear non tinted lens covers the other 10%.

TonyM

by TonyM

MRM wrote:I use Prizm road for 90% of the time. The clear non tinted lens covers the other 10%.
That's what I was doing + others (blue Iridium, dark iridium, VR27 iridium,....) for the sunny days.

....until....

someone here made me wish to try the Prizm..... :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

ALAN Carbon+

by ALAN Carbon+

TonyM

by TonyM

Thanks for the info!
Maybe my next glasses for the rain?

corky

by corky

ALAN Carbon+ wrote:
Sat Dec 23, 2017 7:46 am
Bit more info on the upcoming Prizm Low Light lens https://www.acquiremag.com/sports/oakle ... -low-light

http://o-review.com/forum_detail.php?ID=13975&p=last
These sound like what I’m looking for....night rides

Thanks for posting

TonyM

by TonyM

I have meanwhile received my Oakley PRIZM Road and they are great! :thumbup:
@ Shrike: Thank you for your recommendation! :beerchug:

I used them yesterday in a 5 1/2 hours tour with a cloudy winter sky and they were great. Actually better than my photochromic indeed.
I really can recommend these!

I am not sure they are however good if the sky is really sunny like in the summer. Maybe they are then not dark enough. Not sure.
I was told there is also a "PRIZM Black Polarized" which is said to be better suited for brighter lighting conditions.

@Shrike: what is your experience with the PRIZM Road in the summer?

reknop

by reknop

Another vote for Prizm road lenses. I have two pairs or Oakley Radar Path EV glasses.

Sent from my Redmi Note 3 using Tapatalk

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
https://www.cycling-review.net

Shrike

by Shrike

@TonyM I'm the wrong guy to ask when it comes to bright days :P Been riding in Scotland for the past 2 summers and we really don't get many days where the sun is full on. Had a few really bright days last summer and they were good, can't remember thinking I'd want less transmission. Somewhere really sunny would probably mean a darker lens though I guess.. Glad you like them so far though!
ALAN Carbon+ wrote:
Sat Dec 23, 2017 7:46 am
Bit more info on the upcoming Prizm Low Light lens https://www.acquiremag.com/sports/oakle ... -low-light

http://o-review.com/forum_detail.php?ID=13975&p=last
Nice, looking forward to these 8)

TonyM

by TonyM

Thanks for the feedback!

Yes I am looking forward to get the Prizm low light also now...
My Oakley informed me that they are unfortunately not released yet.

Kutermax

by Kutermax

I'm also a big fan of the Prizm Road. It's my go to in 90% of conditions when I road bike. I know Oakley marketing push this, but I do feel spotting debris on the road easier with them on. Very late in the day they can get a bit dark, but for almost everything else I leave them on.

The Prizm Low Light looks interesting. I have struggled with the Prizm Trail when mountain biking in areas with a heavy tree canopy. Here I find them a little too dark and prefer the photochromic lens. The Prizm Low Light may be a consideration but it will be interesting to see how it handles brighter light conditions, an important factor on variable light rides.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com