Which Oakley lens (Jawbreaker) for the UK

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

JayUK

by JayUK

Hi all,

I am considering getting some Jawbreakers, but I'm not sure which lens to get?

I currently have a pair of Rudy photochromic glasses, but suffer from glare/contrast and light coming in around the glasses, hence the larger Jawbreakers.

I'm considering either the Prism Road lens or the photochromic lens.

What are people's opinions on the above two lenses, or should I be looking at a different lens?

Cheers,

J.

TonyM

by TonyM

I don‘t live in the UK but the weather here in British Columbia/ Canada is pretty much like in the UK. Lot of rain. Showers etc...

I have just bought some Oakley photochromic glasses (Clear to Grey) and they are just fantastic when the weather is cloudy with possible rain but also some sunshine from time to time. Just perfect. I have otherwise so many different Oakley (for all weather types) but the photochromic would replace a bunch of them. In my opinion the best glasses for the fall/ winter weather!

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

ALAN Carbon+

by ALAN Carbon+

If you're just planning on getting the one lens the photochromic is probably the pick. I quite like the Jawbreakers, but feel the one thing that lets them down when compared to other models is the range of alternate lenses available.

I wish there was an option for a low light high contrast lens to wear during overcast/rainy conditions like the high intensity yellow.

For this reason I often go back to my Radarlocks when the light is low.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A5000 using Tapatalk

Calnago
In Memoriam

by Calnago

I found the photochromic grey lenses to be ok when you’re starting out in sun but returning in darkness, when a clear lens is preferable. I don’t like them so much for rainy grey weather. For that my favorites are the Rudy Project Racing Red lenses. Really brightens up everything on darkish days.
Sorry, didn’t comment on the two lenses you are considering but I just think that the greyish photochromics are really not ideal when you get a lot of greyish skies most of the time, but I did like that they go pretty clear when it gets dark (meaning after sunset).
Colnago C64 - The Naked Build; Colnago C60 - PR99; Trek Koppenberg - Where Emonda and Domane Meet;
Unlinked Builds (searchable): Colnago C59 - 5 Years Later; Trek Emonda SL Campagnolo SR; Special Colnago EPQ

zefs

by zefs

The prism road is a bit too dark on cloudy days for me, couldn't use it after 5pm.

nemeseri

by nemeseri

I'm a big fan of the prizm road lens, they are very versatile. I'd try out the trail lens for the UK. I'm sure they would perform very well.

izza

by izza

I’m London based and use Prizm Road for summer/daylight rides. They have a red/pink hue to them and are great for cloudy right through to sunny.

I switch to Prizm Trail in the winter/dark rides They give a yellow view of the world but allow me to protect eyes when dark and yet cut out glare when sunrise occurs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Shrike

by Shrike

I have both the photochromic and prism road lenses though I have them on the EV Zeros.

I thought the photochromic would be my goto lens as I do most my riding in Scotland. It's usually miserable and overcast here.

They seem unnecessary though. The prizm road are superior in every situation. They let in a lot of light still, so even when it's gloomy it's still a great lens. That said, I still use the photochromic lens, but only because I have it. Knowing what I do now, I would have only bought the prizm road and left it at that. Prizm road is a really hard lens to beat.

They look mental though :lol:

arthurf

by arthurf

Photochromic for winter / early starts / late finishes / variable weather conditions but prizm or jade if it’s sunny (it’s rarely sunny in Bristol!)

TonyM

by TonyM

Shrike wrote:I have both the photochromic and prism road lenses though I have them on the EV Zeros.

I thought the photochromic would be my goto lens as I do most my riding in Scotland. It's usually miserable and overcast here.

They seem unnecessary though. The prizm road are superior in every situation. They let in a lot of light still, so even when it's gloomy it's still a great lens. That said, I still use the photochromic lens, but only because I have it. Knowing what I do now, I would have only bought the prizm road and left it at that. Prizm road is a really hard lens to beat.

Do you prefer your Prizm over the transitions for cloudy and rainy days?

Shrike

by Shrike

TonyM wrote:
Shrike wrote:I have both the photochromic and prism road lenses though I have them on the EV Zeros.

Do you prefer your Prizm over the transitions for cloudy and rainy days?
Yeah even on those days, still a better lens over the photochromic IME.

I'd only consider the photochromic a better pick in conditions so dark that they wouldn't transition and just stay perfectly clear.

TonyM

by TonyM

Shrike wrote:
TonyM wrote: Do you prefer your Prizm over the transitions for cloudy and rainy days?
Yeah even on those days, still a better lens over the photochromic IME.

I'd only consider the photochromic a better pick in conditions so dark that they wouldn't transition and just stay perfectly clear.
Thanks for the feedback! I will have a look at the Prizm.

ALAN Carbon+

by ALAN Carbon+

I got a message from an eyewear store in Belgium that a specific low light Prizm lens will be released in the new year. The picture I found on the web looks similar to the Prizm Stadium lens that was produced for the Rio Olympics. Image

Sent from my ONEPLUS A5000 using Tapatalk

TonyM

by TonyM

Good to know! (although I have just ordered a pair of Prizm Road)

JayUK

by JayUK

Hi guys,

Thanks for the great replies :)

It looks like it's a very personal decision, some say the prism lenses are fine for darker rides, some say not.

I'll probably go with the prism lens, as the main purpose is to stop the sun/glare. If I do find them a bit too dark for the miserable weather or late rides then I'll either switch to my Rudys or invest in the photochromic lens.

Cheers,

J.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com